PDA

View Full Version : So I decided to go to the saw mill today....

Terry Hatfield
03-26-2010, 6:15 PM
and came home broke but happy. I've been contemplating building a new dining room table and china cabinet and I have some really nice 4/4 white oak stashed away but needed some more for the china cabinet and some 8/4 for the table. Obviously I don't have that need any longer. :D

My hardwood guy always has something special every time I'm there and today was no exception. Here's the start of it. Widest board is a little over 14". All of these boards have great figure even though it is hard to get a decent pic of it.

http://terryhatfield.com/album/4/27389378.jpg

Little bit better shot of some of the figure. His massive 24" Powermatic planer seems to always tear out this kind of figure but these boards are all over 2" thinck so plenty left for me to get rid of it.

http://terryhatfield.com/album/4/58817583.jpg

Adding to the stack with more awesome looking boards...

http://terryhatfield.com/album/4/57797881.jpg

And the whole stack including square stock for the legs...

http://terryhatfield.com/album/4/42309826.jpg

Of course he is well known for really big boards and I am well known for buying them so I had to bring this one home...

http://terryhatfield.com/album/4/35158250.jpg

All in all, it was a great afternoon at the mill. Hope you enjoyed the eye candy!!

Terry

Van Huskey
03-26-2010, 6:44 PM
Very very nice!

Chris Padilla
03-26-2010, 7:26 PM
That wide one, Terry...CUP city...just send it to me and I'll deal with it for you. ;)

Terry Hatfield
03-26-2010, 8:55 PM
That wide one, Terry...CUP city...just send it to me and I'll deal with it for you. ;)

I have been expertly trained in the art of anti-cupping. Nice try though.

t

Cody Colston
03-26-2010, 9:11 PM
That looks like some primo stuff and I know you like White Oak. I like White Oak!

I'm looking forward to seeing what you make from it and at the pace you work, that shouldn't be long. Nice score. :)

Jim Becker
03-26-2010, 10:25 PM
Nice haul, Terry! Great product for your project(s)!

And I'm really happy to see you getting back in the shop, too. :)

Bruce Page
03-26-2010, 10:34 PM
Nice haul Terry, it's a good thing that bench is stout! What does WO go for in your neck of the woods?

Terry Hatfield
03-26-2010, 10:35 PM
And I'm really happy to see you getting back in the shop, too. :)

Me too, Jim. Me too. This is kinda bitter sweet though. I really want to build the new stuff but will have to part with the old table and china cabinet that were some of my first projects. I'm sure I can find someone willing to give me a couple bucks for them.

I'll also be trying to convince some of my buddies to come by and help when I get started. I remember what it was like trying to get pieces this big and heavy through the jointer!!! I have 4 boards that will make up the 46" x 96" top. That will be a wrestling match!

t

Terry Hatfield
03-26-2010, 10:38 PM
Nice haul Terry, it's a good thing that bench is stout! What does WO go for in your neck of the woods?

LOL...I think the bench can stand it even though I did learn a valuable lesson when I built my interior doors. That load of 8/4 WO totally desytroyed a pair of folding saw horses! :eek: I stacked the wood, went in the house and came back later to find the saw horses flattened.

The 4/4 is from $2 to $3.50bd/ft. depending on grade. The 8/4 is $5 to $6 bd/ft.

Neil Brooks
03-26-2010, 10:42 PM
A well-deserved gloat, Terry.

I may have to get ME some of THAT action.

Just started the finish (Watco Danish + Spar Urethane) on my Tall Oak Mirror frame.

Realized that ... I really haven't given Oak anywhere NEAR the love it deserves -- particularly QSWO -- definitely on my short list ... for ... something :)

Bruce Page
03-26-2010, 10:45 PM
The last time I bought some 8/4 QSWO up at Alpines, in Santa Fe, it was $11.25bf.:(

Scott Vigder
03-27-2010, 9:45 AM
Hmmm

Another nice, clean shop.

Phil Thien
03-27-2010, 10:09 AM
Nice stuff. Love WO.

Love that bench.

I think I've said that before.

Fred Perreault
03-27-2010, 10:13 AM
Terry,
Great looking white oak, and a nice looking work bench. White oak and cediper are my favorites.

Terry Hatfield
03-27-2010, 5:01 PM
Hmmm

Another nice, clean shop.

I plead guilty to the clean shop disease. Just can help myself. :D

Terry Hatfield
03-27-2010, 5:05 PM
That looks like some primo stuff and I know you like White Oak. I like White Oak!

I'm looking forward to seeing what you make from it and at the pace you work, that shouldn't be long. Nice score. :)

This is going to be a little different deal than I usually do, Cody. I'm seriously considering building 8 chairs which I would do before I build the table and china cabinet. I've never built chairs before. I have found a pretty simple chair design/plan that has Cheryl's approval so I think I'll give it a try. Tons of mortises though. Might be a while before you see a table.

t

Terry Hatfield
03-27-2010, 5:08 PM
Phil & Fred,

Thanks guys! I built the bench several years ago and it has served me very, very well. It has tons of storage and a nice big, flat surface to work and assemble projects. I'd be lost without it.

t

Kelly C. Hanna
03-27-2010, 9:21 PM
Looks great Terry....very nice haul. Can't wait to see the new furniture!

Terry Hatfield
03-27-2010, 9:46 PM
Looks great Terry....very nice haul. Can't wait to see the new furniture!

I'm anxious to get started. Hopefully next weekend I'll start the first chair.

t