PDA

View Full Version : #27 Butternut w/Black and Brass

John Keeton
03-26-2010, 4:53 PM
This bowl is from a piece of dry butternut that I got in a wood exchange with Joe Little - thanks, Joe!! It was bone dry, and had some insect damage, but some beautiful character and color - kind of rustic looking. Finish at this point is BLO (really brought out the character!) and shellac. I will add a couple coats of lacquer. 10 5/8" x 3 1/4". I really like the look of this wood, but it is difficult to get a clean finish cut on the end grain.

This is the first "fair curve" utility bowl that I have done, and to be honest, it is more difficult than I expected. This one seems to flatten a little toward the rim, and I did not notice that until I had done the rim recess for the matrix - too late! Another lesson learned.

The black matrix is System Three, with black pigment and brass filings from a key machine.

David E Keller
03-26-2010, 4:58 PM
That's beautiful, John. Great color and lots of character. I like the choice of the black contrast.

Joe Little
03-26-2010, 5:10 PM
John, you really made that butternut look good. Beautiful job. Actually it is hard to believe it is the same wood I sent you. I love the brass filings and edge treatment. Joe

Jonathan Harvey
03-26-2010, 5:15 PM
Beautiful looking piece. What's the thickness of the rim?

Mark Hubl
03-26-2010, 5:26 PM
Nice bowl, I like the black and brass, that looks good.

Keith Palmer
03-26-2010, 5:41 PM
Beautiful bowl John! I really like the rim treatment!!!

Greg Just
03-26-2010, 6:05 PM
Nice job! Love the rim treatment. How was that butternut to sand? I just finished one and had all kinds of trouble because of the wild grain pattern.

Robert McGowen
03-26-2010, 6:11 PM
That is very nice, John. Like others have mentioned, I really like the inlay.

Gary Conklin
03-26-2010, 6:16 PM
John you are truely a talented artist, and your eye for design is great. You can keep these coming from now till forever! AWESOME

Pete Jordan
03-26-2010, 6:23 PM
Really like this one John!

You have a great touch!

Marc Himes
03-26-2010, 6:25 PM
A very handsome bowl John; I really like it. How is the matrix and Brass to turn and sand down after it sets up?

Marc Himes

Fred Perreault
03-26-2010, 6:40 PM
Johnny,
You are a champ. You do your blocks of wood justice. I can see the time when trees will be fighting for the chance to come to your shop.
Keep it up..........

Mike Minto
03-26-2010, 7:17 PM
John, really excellent bowl I just did a wood exchange with Joe, too, and can only hope I can make something approaching the beauty of your bowl. Butternut is great wood! Nice turning, and great inlay!

Baxter Smith
03-26-2010, 7:37 PM
Just showed my wife your bowl and told her it was done by the guy in Kentucky that sent me the cottonwood. She said "Very pretty, whats he going to use it for?" then muttered something about making one you could chop something in.:);)

Butternut is very pretty and this one has a lot of character. Very nice rim treatment!

Toney Robertson
03-26-2010, 7:39 PM
Nice looking John.

The black and brass works well.

Toney

charlie knighton
03-26-2010, 7:53 PM
very nice, its good to see you c&c your own work

Jake Helmboldt
03-26-2010, 7:54 PM
#27!

You guys have created a monster.:eek:

John, your profile says you are a JD. When do you find time for lawyerin'?

Bernie Weishapl
03-26-2010, 8:29 PM
That is beautiful John. Really nice wood and lots of character. Love the rim treatment.

John Tomasello jr
03-26-2010, 8:29 PM
John you are truly amazing, the number of beautiful turning you have done this year would take the rest of us mere mortals years to finish

Jack Mincey
03-26-2010, 8:43 PM
I like all your turnings John. Your eye for design and form is spot on and you've become a turning machine!!!
Jack

Steve Schlumpf
03-26-2010, 8:47 PM
Great looking bowl with lots of character! Love worm holes, inclusions or whatever mother nature throws at us! Very nice form on this one! Rich color and I do like your rim treatment!

You just keep gettin gooder and gooder!

Looking forward to seeing #28

John Keeton
03-26-2010, 8:52 PM
Thanks for all the kind comments, and for taking the time to look at two of them in a week!:eek: I feel like I am hogging the forum at times, so I really do appreciate your supportive comments.

This weekend will be spent building my photo tent, and playing with that to see if I can improve the quality of the pics a little. But, I do have another piece of wood that is calling to me when I come and go from the shop!;)

John, you really made that butternut look good. Beautiful job. Actually it is hard to believe it is the same wood I sent you. I love the brass filings and edge treatment. JoeThanks, Joe, both for the compliment, and again for the wood! But, all I did was shape it! The wood stands on its own. It really looked a little bland until I slathered on the BLO, which it soaked it up like a sponge. But, the color and character just jumped out with the oil. And, the bug damage adds to the piece IMO.

What's the thickness of the rim?Jonathan, the rim is 3/4" wide - is that the dimension you needed? The walls of the bowl are not consistent - they taper in from the rim to about 1/4", and then the floor is probably about 1/2". The butternut is a light weight wood, and I wanted to balance the weight between the rim and base.

Nice job! Love the rim treatment. How was that butternut to sand? I just finished one and had all kinds of trouble because of the wild grain pattern.Greg, it is soft, and sanding wasn't too bad. But, it is a bear to get a clean cut on the endgrain. I had sharpened my gouge on the tail end of the last turning, so I started this one without touching up the edge. I quickly found out that wasn't going to work! I had to go slow and take a shearing cut just because of a couple of areas.

A very handsome bowl John; I really like it. How is the matrix and Brass to turn and sand down after it sets up?

Marc HimesMark, the matrix actually cuts easier than the butternut. You really have to watch the pressure coming from the wood to the matrix, or you will dip into the matrix.

Edit - I should add that I turned the rim about 15-16 hours after pouring the epoxy. The outside surface was much harder, and wanted to chip a little. Just below the surface, the epoxy turned off in ribbons. I suspect one needs to turn the matrix within 24 hours of application.

#27!

You guys have created a monster.:eek:

John, your profile says you are a JD. When do you find time for lawyerin'?Jake, you have correctly laid the blame!!;) "YOU GUYS" would be a select group of creekers whose sole purpose in life is to suck in unsuspecting flatworkers!!:D:D As far as lawyerin', I have slowed down some and work 4 days a week, and sometimes on Friday morning for a couple of hours. But, I would admit to heading out early some afternoons - a nice piece of wood, a big tom turkey, a ruttin' buck - it really doesn't take much to pull me away!:o

Karl Card
03-26-2010, 8:53 PM
very nice... very rustic looking to say the least.

Scott Lux
03-26-2010, 9:01 PM
Another winner. And don't worry about hogging the forum. You inspired me to start posting my stuff. I figure if all people see is what you, Steve, Wally, and Baxter do, they'll think we're all pro's.

I'm here to lower that bar!

Roland Martin
03-26-2010, 9:43 PM
Very nice bowl John. The color & character of the butternut is great and the rim treatment blends in perfectly. Another winner!

Wayne Leach
03-26-2010, 10:08 PM
John,

I really like the simplicity of design and the decorative rim goes so well with it.
Superb all round.

Wayne

Donny Lawson
03-26-2010, 10:37 PM
That's another one to be proud of.GREAT character. Love the worm holes.
Donny

Curt Fuller
03-26-2010, 11:13 PM
More beautiful work John! The brass filings in the black epoxy would look good with almost any wood. But they seem to almost take on some of the color from the butternut. That really looks sharp.

Jeff Nicol
03-27-2010, 8:32 AM
John, I of course love the wood as I have about 3 pickup loads fo it right now to get sawn into blanks, and more in the woods to go pick up. I love the colors in the butternut and the worm holes! The black and brass is a very cool look and I will have to try it!

Another beauty,

Jeff

Brian Effinger
03-27-2010, 11:07 AM
As always, I love the rim of the bowl, John. If you have time between your turnings, I'd be interested to see a tutorial on using the epoxy.

You shouldn't be to worried about the curve of the bowl. You did a good job with it. I think you will be the only one that really knows it is there. That butternut is some beautiful wood too. Of course it is related to walnut. ;)

Can't wait to see what you come up with next. :)

Jim Kountz
03-27-2010, 3:29 PM
Wow John, I know I have been away from the creek for a while but wow!! You've become a pro turner while I was gone!! Looking good, really good!!

John Keeton
03-27-2010, 5:02 PM
Thanks for all the follow up comments! Jeff, I still have a chunk of butternut that I got from you. It is a little smaller, but deeper - should make a nice turning. It turns easy but for the endgrain as noted.

...I have been away from the creek for a while...That you have, that you have.... Don't think "pro" is the right word - perhaps obsessed!!:eek:

If you have time between your turnings, I'd be interested to see a tutorial on using the epoxy.Brian, I didn't take any pics of the process, but I will try to explain the process.

You will get runs down the sides from the rim, so do this process BEFORE your finishing cuts. The pigment stains the wood, and you will need to remove a fairly good cut to get rid of the stain.

After getting the curve I wanted on the outside, I hollowed down about 1.5", and left a 7/8" wide rim. With a gouge, I relieved a recess in the rim leaving a little more on either side than the finished cut would be. I squared the recess with a 1/2" scraper, and sealed the recess and the top of the rim with a heavy coat of shellac.

On this rim there is a very slight slope to the inside. I made the recess about 3/16" deep. But, if you were going to have a profiled rim, you should consider the proper depth given the anticipated profile cuts.

Leaving the bowl in the chuck, remove the chuck, and set it upright on a protected surface.

Here are the materials I used -

The first concern is "how much" and I guessed fairly close on this one. The System Three is expensive.

I use a plastic coffee scoop - about a tablespoon. For this rim, I poured four scoops of the resin in the disposable plastic container.

Then I added the brass filings. The amount will depend on the look you want. On this one, I wanted a fairly heavy look.

The last step is adding the hardener, but at this point, keep in mind that you will add half again as much material when you mix in the hardener. So, the aggregate (filings) needs to be quite a bit more concentrated than the actual look you want.

The first time I did this process, I mixed in the pigment first thinking I could better tell the density of the brass filings - doesn't work!;)

Then add the pigment and mix it well with the palette knife - but gently - no bubbles. I used the System Three pigment, black, and it takes a very small amount. For this rim, I just picked up a small dap on the corner of the blade. It was easily enough. The pigment is firm, and the consistency of wood filler.

After everything is mixed well, add the hardener and gently mix again.

The consistency at this point is pourable, and I simply filled the recess. I left the plastic container so that I could test the cure in the container without touching the rim. After about 15 -16 hours I put the chuck back on and finish turned the bowl.

As I mentioned, the top layer had cured hard, and wanted to chip a little, but beneath the surface, it was not as cured and cut easily in ribbons.

You should try it! I will probably look at some other aggregates and colors to play with at some point. I think one could get some neat effects with various materials.

Hope all of this made sense!

Brian Effinger
03-27-2010, 7:37 PM
You should try it! I will probably look at some other aggregates and colors to play with at some point. I think one could get some neat effects with various materials.

Hope all of this made sense!

Yes it did make sense. Thanks for the info John, it will come in handy because I think I will trying it in the near future. I picked up some West System resin & hardener today from my local Rockler. Man is that stuff expensive! :eek:

Baxter Smith
03-27-2010, 10:17 PM
Thanks for the explanation John. I have some West Systems materials left over from various boat projects. Will have to give it a shot!

steven carter
03-29-2010, 9:56 AM
Great job again John. I really like the grain and bug holes on this piece, and the inlay is excellent.

Jim Underwood
03-29-2010, 10:14 AM
As always John, you have the artist's eye... Nice piece.

I too see that flat spot AFTER I get all done with a piece. Why is it, that it's so hard to see when it's on the lathe? Is it that we're under time constraints and don't have all day?