PDA

View Full Version : 200 Year Old Maple

Nick Mastropietro
03-26-2010, 4:30 PM
I came across a guy cutting up a 200 year old Maple that was felled in his yard and asked if I could get a few pieces. This is what I picked up. I would like to know if these are good picks and how best to prepare/store them for future use. Bark on - bark off? Cut the log down to blanks?, it's about 10" dia and 24-30" long. I did purchase a 2 gal tub of Anchorseal.

Steve Schlumpf
03-26-2010, 4:46 PM
Looks like some really interesting wood! Seal it with anchorseal immediately and leave it in log form with the bark on. What you are trying to do is slow down the drying process so the wood does not start to crack.

When it comes time to turn a piece - just reseal the freshly cut section and you'll be OK.

Also, when storing - keep it out of the sun cause that would heat it up and cause it to dry out faster.

Looking forward to seeing what you turn out of it!

bob svoboda
03-26-2010, 6:10 PM
Good info from Steve. I think you've got a winner there. Congratulations on a good gloat!!

Matt Ranum
03-26-2010, 7:21 PM
Out of curiosity, how long would/should you let it dry down from a green live tree? I took a small burl from a dead cherry tree and wanted to save it for pen blanks. I'm thinking that a burl may want to split easier than straight grain while drying.

John Tomasello jr
03-26-2010, 8:15 PM
Good looking wood Nick, like Steve I also seal mine in log form Then cut as needed.

Bernie Weishapl
03-26-2010, 8:21 PM
Congrats on the wood. Get it sealed and leave in log form as Steve stated.