PDA

View Full Version : ideas for a big cargo snow sled?

Andy Henriksen
11-09-2004, 1:49 PM
OK, I guess this is sorta woodworking....

This winter several friends and I will be heading to the U.P. (That's the "Upper Peninsula" of Michigan for you non-midwesterners - think 3' or more of snow). We will be snowshoeing about a mile or so to a cabin, for a few nites. I want to build a big cargo sled, to drag behind us, basically putting us humans in the role of sled dog.

I was thinking basically of a plywood box with thrift store skis as the runners. Anyone have any good pics or plans for something like this? I'm sure I can wing it, but if there is help or pointers, I'll certainly take it.

David Wilson
11-09-2004, 3:06 PM
Andy
I remember long ago using an old car hood for a similar task. hope this helps.

Dave Anderson NH
11-09-2004, 4:03 PM
Check out what my Scandahoovian friends call a pulk. It's basically toboggan with low sides and a harness setup that X-C skiers pull when they need to carry a lot of cargo. In fact, howcum you aren't skiing in, it's a lot easier and faster in deep snow?

Andy Henriksen
11-10-2004, 8:40 AM
Thanks for the tips, Daves. It just so happens we will have at least one car hood with us, so maybe I should bring a hacksaw, or a torch, and use that. I've been laughing at the mental image of the car hood sled since yesterday, David.

As for the ski vs snoeshoes, I've found that it's difficult to go anywhere in deep snow on skis. It could be the skis I have are too narrow or something, but they tend to sink in irregularly, and I can't get any momentum going. That, and a few of the people don't xc ski, and it seems that would be a bad place to learn - rough terrain, ungroomed, etc. Snowshoeing otoh, anyone can do, as long as you already know how to walk. I enjoy both, but find that skis are best on trail, snowshoes off trail.