PDA

View Full Version : Road Trip - Maine to Georgia on I-95 - Woodworking Stops?

Lewis Cobb
03-26-2010, 4:05 PM
Hi Folks

I'm tagging along on a road trip my buddy is making in a couple of weeks that will span from Maine to Georgia on the I95. He's also hauling an enclosed trailer behind a Suburban so there's plenty of space for purchases if we can jam his useless motocross bikes in tight enough:D

Other than Rockler/Woodcraft (which are already mapped out and entered into the computer) are there any other places of interest for a woodworker to stop in if there's some time? Perhaps some lumberyards where I can pick up some cherry/walnut/ash hardwood lumber at ridiculously low prices or maybe woodworking machinery shops?

Thanks for any tips,
Lewis

Mike Archambeau
03-26-2010, 7:38 PM
If you are into lumber this is worth a stop: http://www.hearnehardwoods.com/

Jason White
03-26-2010, 8:07 PM
Sounds like you already might have found it -- but when you're on I-95 heading south and get near Woburn, MA -- take I-93 South (toward Boston) and go a couple of miles and get off at Montvale Ave. You then turn right at the bottom of the ramp and there's a Woodcraft store a couple of blocks down on the left. Nice guys and it's pretty-well stocked full of everything. They have classes there once in awhile, too.

As for "steals" on hardwood -- lotsa luck! If such a thing existed here, I'd have found it by now! :D

Jason

Hi Folks

I'm tagging along on a road trip my buddy is making in a couple of weeks that will span from Maine to Georgia on the I95. He's also hauling an enclosed trailer behind a Suburban so there's plenty of space for purchases if we can jam his useless motocross bikes in tight enough:D

Other than Rockler/Woodcraft (which are already mapped out and entered into the computer) are there any other places of interest for a woodworker to stop in if there's some time? Perhaps some lumberyards where I can pick up some cherry/walnut/ash hardwood lumber at ridiculously low prices or maybe woodworking machinery shops?

Thanks for any tips,
Lewis

Jim Terrill
03-26-2010, 9:41 PM
Sounds like you already might have found it -- but when you're on I-95 heading south and get near Woburn, MA -- take I-93 South (toward Boston) and go a couple of miles and get off at Montvale Ave. You then turn right at the bottom of the ramp and there's a Woodcraft store a couple of blocks down on the left. Nice guys and it's pretty-well stocked full of everything. They have classes there once in awhile, too.

As for "steals" on hardwood -- lotsa luck! If such a thing existed here, I'd have found it by now! :D

Jason

Well 95 runs right through tax-free Portsmouth NH, I would stop at that woodcraft if it was me. Can't speak as to how well stocked they are, but saving 6.25% is worth a look.

Andrew Gibson
03-26-2010, 10:01 PM
I have made the drive from Tampa to Boston quite a few time now and I am leaving to make the trek on Wednesday.

I never found anywhere to stop for woodworking, There also is not much time to stop, its 22 hr each way... "we're burnin daylight"

Now I really want to stop at Hearne Hardwoods... maybe next time. I doubt they will have anything I will be able to cram into the VW golf.

I might be inheriting some tools while I am in Boston anyway... Fingers crossed.

Brian Effinger
03-26-2010, 10:52 PM
A little out of the way, but Colonial Williamsburg has some old time woodworking which is very interesting.

David Schuchardt
03-27-2010, 9:56 AM
I am taking my family to Williamsburg for the upcoming spring break. Any recommendations for the old time woodworking?

Joe Cunningham
03-27-2010, 12:01 PM
Mystic Seaport, Mystic CT (right on 95) they have a great museum on shipbuilding and have their prized jewel, the Charles W Morgan, getting refurbished right now. It is the last wooden whaling ship that can still sail under it's own power.

Noah Levy
03-27-2010, 12:14 PM
Lie Nielson is in Maine but check where on the map. I was there last summer but can't remember exactly how far off I-95 they were. Honestly, I wouldn't go too far out of your way but it's worth a bit of a diversion. You can putz with all the tools, get your questions answered and lots of advice from someone who actually knows what they are talking about, and they'll even take you on a tour of the manufacturing area. I went during the week and it was empty but I''d venture to guess that weekends in the summer are crazy there.

Stephen Saar
03-27-2010, 5:00 PM
If you're in GA, specifically Atlanta, then I would strongly suggest going to Highland Hardware, by far my favorite wood working store I've been to. We also have a fair number of hardwood sellers here as well, but you'll find those in most big cities, but Atlanta does seem to have decent prices for most wood.

-Stephen

Lewis Cobb
03-28-2010, 9:53 AM
Thanks for all the tips ! Have recorded them all down and hopefully I'll be able to follow up on some of them.

We're going to be hangin in Atlanta for a while as we're exhibiting at a trade show there so I should be able to get out to Highland Hardware for sure.

Thanks again,
Lewis

Gary Radice
03-28-2010, 11:10 AM
Passing through Richmond, VA, I'd recommend a stop at Dempsey and Company, a used machinery dealer. New stuff just about every week and fun to poke around even if you aren't in the market. I got a really nice PM 1100 drill press there for a couple of hundred bucks once, and also a 50's era Delta 6" jointer with cast iron base. Very convenient to I-95.

http://www.dempseyandco.com/

Von Bickley
03-28-2010, 2:32 PM
When passing thru SC and as you get near Charleston, you may want to take a short side trip off of I-95. It will probably take you about 30 - 40 minutes to get to Thomas Timm's shop but it will be worth your time. Thomas has all kinds of hardwoods and all sizes. He has boards that will reach 30 -36 inches wide.
He also has a large wood lathe that his father built. Thomas used it to turn the world's largest baseball bat that was listed in the Guiness Book of World Records. He has it in his showroom. He also has tables and bowls that he has made. Like I said earlier, it would be worth your time to pay him a visit. Take lots of money. Thomas says he not cheap, but he has some of the best wood you will ever see.

Check him out....

www.customwoodcrafter.com