PDA

View Full Version : Elm bowl

Randy Hoch
03-26-2010, 3:49 PM
This one's American Elm and measures 11.5" by 4.25". Finished with Mahoney's (walnut) oil. Having a real rodeo with exposure and white balance etc. I'd like to get the photo thing whipped. Guess I'm lacking practice.

Randy

Steve Schlumpf
03-26-2010, 3:56 PM
Great looking bowl! Love the grain!

Problems with color usually are caused by a difference in the lighting used and what the camera thinks you are using for a source. What are you using for a light source?

John Keeton
03-26-2010, 4:20 PM
Very nice bowl, and I like the bottom treatment with your name, etc. Woodburned? Nice penmanship!

David E Keller
03-26-2010, 5:00 PM
Beautiful bowl. Great grain and color on the elm. Very nice.

John Tomasello jr
03-26-2010, 7:31 PM
Beautiful bowl, love the contrast between the hart & sap wood

charlie knighton
03-26-2010, 7:54 PM
very nice....

Robert McGowen
03-26-2010, 8:17 PM
Nice classic bowl. Well done.

Bernie Weishapl
03-26-2010, 8:19 PM
Really nice bowl. Really like the sap wood/heart wood contrast.

Randy Hoch
03-28-2010, 9:04 AM
Great looking bowl! Love the grain!

Problems with color usually are caused by a difference in the lighting used and what the camera thinks you are using for a source. What are you using for a light source?

Steve,
These are incandescent hot lights behind diffusers X2 with a small light from the top. this is one of those cheapy portrait studio set-ups. Camera is Nikon D70.
Randy

Richard Madison
03-28-2010, 9:17 AM
Randy, Does your D70 have the white balance preset feature? Check your owners' manual for procedure to take an exposure of a white or 18% gray card, This tells the camera what white is supposed to look like with whatever lighting you have. It's not perfect but will get you pretty close.

Dave Haughs
03-28-2010, 9:17 AM
Steve,
These are incandescent hot lights behind diffusers X2 with a small light from the top. this is one of those cheapy portrait studio set-ups. Camera is Nikon D70.
Randy

EDIT - Richard beat me to it. :D

Look into white balance settings. White balance is an adjustment for color temperature of your light source.

I'd expect you're using an auto white balance setting. Your camera should have preset white balances (I bet there is an incandescent setting) and also the ability to set a custom white balance - very easy to do with a gray or white card. It is also very easy to adjust in post if you are shooting in raw, depending on the software you are using. If you shoot in jpg you should still be able to adjust it in post some.