PDA

View Full Version : Tool part - What is it? Anyone know?

john brady
03-26-2010, 3:47 PM
Hello All,

I have a little part that I assume belongs to or is for a woodworking tool but have no idea myself what is is or belongs to. Anyone seen one of these before?

A friend of my daughters gave me a really nice Dremel model #1672 2-speed Scroll saw with stand, and this part was in a box with all the extra parts they sent along with the saw. After acquiring a user manual, as I suspected, this piece doesn't belong to the saw.

It seems to be a very well made machined part. The size is 3 1/4" wide x 1" x 3/4" deep/high. As you can see in the photo, it has three different sized v-grooves in the top(?) with another v-groove all the way through the center of equal size to the largest / center groove. It also has two hex-head machine screws threaded into it, and came with an Allen wrench that fits the hex heads.

Like I said, it seems to be well made, so I hate to throw it away. But without knowing what it is, it's of no use to me. I keep it sitting on my workbench thinking I'll come up with an idea of what it is, but so far, I've come up blank. It's really bugging me to know what it is!

I figured all the tool fanatics here on the forum may have run across one at some point in their woodworking endeavors. Anyone want to take a guess?

Thanks...Chugbug

David G Baker
03-26-2010, 4:04 PM
Looks similar to some removable vice jaws that I had at one time. The V's look like they are shaped to hold things of different sizes while they are worked on. Just guessing.

Mike Cutler
03-26-2010, 4:24 PM
It looks like part of a small V block set up for a bench top milling machine. Maybe an Enco, Shoptask, or a Shurline. I've never seen one that small.

Maybe one of the machinist here on the board will recognize it. :confused:

Bruce Page
03-26-2010, 4:31 PM
Vice jaws for holding round items.

Gary Click
03-27-2010, 12:29 AM
It's a Hardened Milling Machine Vise Jaw. These are bolt into the vise body and this one has vee grooves to hold round parts.

gary

john brady
03-28-2010, 12:15 PM
Thanks for the suggestions! After the suggestions, I was hoping the holes might fit to my metal vise, but it didn't. Guess I'll keep it with the metal vise, maybe it will come in handy some day.

JEB

David G Baker
03-28-2010, 3:04 PM
John,
You may be able to make a couple of adapter plates to mount the jaws on to mount them to the vise.