PDA

View Full Version : My shop

Zach Dillinger
03-26-2010, 3:33 PM
I thought you all might like to see some pics of my shop. I'm in the middle of spring cleaning and thought it would be a good idea.

You can see them here: http://eatoncountywoodworker.blogspot.com (http://eatoncountywoodworker.blogspot.com/)

Thanks!

Paul Incognito
03-26-2010, 5:14 PM
Nice shop Zach. I also work out of a 1 bay garage. Efficiency is the name of the game.
PI

David Gendron
03-26-2010, 5:16 PM
Nice shop! Nice Lathe, I want to build my self one one day! What did you use for wood?
And for centers?

Zach Dillinger
03-26-2010, 7:55 PM
Nice shop Zach. I also work out of a 1 bay garage. Efficiency is the name of the game.
PI

Thanks for the kind words. I'm just glad that I don't have a lot of machines to clog it up: I like my space.

Zach

Zach Dillinger
03-26-2010, 8:00 PM
Nice shop! Nice Lathe, I want to build my self one one day! What did you use for wood?
And for centers?

David,

Thanks for your nice words. The lathe was made out of Borg 2" x 10". I picked through the pile to find a few SYP boards, which worked out quite nicely. The drive cord is 3/8" round leather belting that I bought for $0.89 a foot (gloat!) at a local hardware store. The centers are 1/2" bolts that I ground on my hand-cranked grinder. I plowed a 1/2" groove in a piece of scrap and attached that to the tool rest on the grinder, then proceeded to roll the bolt against the wheel. This made a nice concentric cone.

Thanks again,

Zach

James Taglienti
03-27-2010, 7:02 PM
I'm also in a space around the size of a single bay, maybe a couple feet bigger, I don't know. Most of my larger power tools are just outside the door in the barn. It's hard to make the best use of space in there, I am always wanting to move something here or build a rack there, etc.

Rick Markham
03-28-2010, 8:37 AM
Cool Lathe Zach, I am interested to know how it works, and how you built it. I have never seen a spring pole lathe before.

Zach Dillinger
03-28-2010, 12:51 PM
Cool Lathe Zach, I am interested to know how it works, and how you built it. I have never seen a spring pole lathe before.

Rick,

The lathe is right out of Roy Underhill's book The Woodwright's Guide. You can buy it at Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Woodwrights-Guide-Working-Wood-Wedge/dp/0807859141?ie=UTF8&tag=eatocounwood-20&link_code=btl&camp=213689&creative=392969). I built it in about 10 hours. The hardest part, to be honest, is the angled tusk tenons and finding the copper rivets to hold the pole collar together. It's pretty straight forward.

Anybody can feel free to contact me if you have questions about how it goes together.

Zach

Rick Markham
03-28-2010, 10:55 PM
Thanks Zach!

Zach Dillinger
03-29-2010, 10:38 AM
Thanks Zach!

Rick,

If you decide to build the lathe, PM me and I'd be happy to give you any help I can.

Best,

Zach

Tony Zaffuto
03-29-2010, 11:29 AM
Nice Zach!

I wish I had wood walls and a garage door (mine is in my basement), as the enviroment you're in most definitely will make handtools all the more enjoyable! I'm envious!

T.Z.

Zach Dillinger
03-29-2010, 3:57 PM
Nice Zach!

I wish I had wood walls and a garage door (mine is in my basement), as the enviroment you're in most definitely will make handtools all the more enjoyable! I'm envious!

T.Z.

Thanks Tony, I do love my shop, especially that big garage door. I do need some windows, however, but that will be rectified this summer.

Zach