PDA

View Full Version : Poplar bowl

Randy Hoch
03-26-2010, 3:20 PM
This is 6" by 2.25". Finish is what Richard Raffan advocates: BLO & Beeswax. This is the first that I have done this with. I kind of agree with him about the sheen instead of shine. The view of the bottom shows a bit of whitish haze which may have resulted from a heavy hand during sanding. The finish helped to cover this at least as well as others I've used, but it's still there.

Randy

Steve Schlumpf
03-26-2010, 3:31 PM
Nice bowl Randy! Really nice job on such a soft wood! Great color, form and I do like the soft finish! Nice work!

Roland Martin
03-26-2010, 3:59 PM
Nice work Randy. That poplar has nice color & character. Poplar, IMO, is not all that easy to get a good finish on being so soft, but looks good. I just turned a couple of poplar island legs for a kitchen I'm doing and have been having a hard time trying to keep details crisp. Being a painted kitchen, I should have used soft maple, part of learning!

John Keeton
03-26-2010, 4:18 PM
Randy, as others have said, poplar is a real challenge for finishing, but you pulled this one off very well. Nice form, and really nice color!

David E Keller
03-26-2010, 5:05 PM
It's a nice looking bowl. I laugh everytime I watch the Raffan video when he says, "I don't like hard, shiny finishes". I like the oil and wax look on this piece.

John Tomasello jr
03-26-2010, 7:36 PM
Never new poplar could look so good

Bernie Weishapl
03-26-2010, 8:37 PM
Really nice bowl. I haven't turn poplar for a while as it was almost worse than cottonwood trying to get a finish. Job well done.