PDA

View Full Version : Drum Sanders

Stewart Crick
11-09-2004, 1:37 PM
Trying to decide between the Delta 18-36 and the Performax 16-32. Not really a size issue (ie 32 vs 36) or price question. But rather a quality of machine performance and company support.

Stu

Tony Sade
11-09-2004, 1:44 PM
Stewart-If you search this forum, you'll find that this subject has been discussed before. For example, you could try this thread:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=4806&highlight=drum+sander

I'm sure there are others.

BTW-I have the Delta and like it very much in my very part time hobbyist shop.

Brad Olson
11-09-2004, 2:51 PM
After using both Delta and Performax (I don't have either but have used both extensively) I really like the set up of the delta much better. There is better performance overall when the conveyor moving instead of the cantelevered drum mechanism. There is just less flex in the Delta and it is easier to correct the drum to be paralell to the conveyor on the Delta. Also the Delta is belt drive, which I think it better than the direct drive Performax (i'm pretty sure the newer performaxes are still direct drive). If you are going with the Performax, spend the extra couple hundred $$ and get the 22" machine, as this is better than either of the machines you listed.

Mike Evertsen
11-09-2004, 2:53 PM
I went with the Delta because the head is fixed Table rides on 4 posts. the Performax the head moves up and down the table is fixed. I heard that because of the head moving there was some flex. I have has the Delta 3 yrs no complaints with it.

Jim Becker
11-09-2004, 3:09 PM
I went with Performax because it's all they do...drum sanders...and because I really didn't like the design of the internals of the Delta when I helped my local dealer assemble one in the store. If you are concerned about "flex" in the Performax design, go the extra $200 for the 22-44 Plus as I did. It's stiffer than the 16-32 and will do most common panel widths without flipping. It's a beast!

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=10981&highlight=Performax

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=11169&highlight=Performax

Bruce Page
11-09-2004, 3:23 PM
Stewart, I went with the Delta. You can read my comments in Tony's link.

Mike Cutler
11-09-2004, 6:09 PM
Stewart. I have the Performax 16-32. It's a very nice machine, it set up easily and I haven't had any issues with to really complain about. The learning curve was steep once I got it out of my head that it wasn't a planer.
All this being said though I would offer you this advice. Keith Outten has currently listed in the classifieds a 24" Grizzly drum sander for much less than either of the sanders that you are considering. I would seriously investigate it if it still available. My .02 fwiw

Stewart Crick
11-09-2004, 6:09 PM
Thanks for the link Tony, lots of good info/advice there. Also thanks to Jim, I think you sold me on the 22-44! Are you related to Uncle Bob? :eek:

and thanks to everyone else for sharing their experience. Now I just have to find somemore space in the shop! :eek:

Stu