PDA

View Full Version : concealed hinge help

James Morton
03-26-2010, 12:52 PM
Hi guys,

New poster, but long time lurker. I am designing my kitchen cabinets, and before I finalize my plans and start cutting, I would like to get your input on hinges. I am making face-frame cabs with inset doors and drawers, but I am planning the inside of the face frame to line up with the inside of the cabinets. The reason I thought this was a good idea was because I figured then I could just use frameless euro-hinges (and drawer slides). However, looking at the various websites that sell the hinges just seems to confuse me as to which hinge to get. Rockler has a blum frameless inset hinge, which I think would work, but then I think that I must be figuring wrong because why would you make a frameless cab with an inset door. I thought the whole idea of inset cabinetry was to see the face frames. Anyway, I seem to have the dreaded "paralysis by analysis" disease. Do any of you folks design cabinetry the way Ive decribed, and what do you use for hinges?

Thanks

Drew

ps, I know my username says James, but I go by Drew

David Thompson 27577
03-26-2010, 3:18 PM
Hi guys,

New poster, but long time lurker. I am designing my kitchen cabinets, and before I finalize my plans and start cutting, I would like to get your input on hinges. I am making face-frame cabs with inset doors and drawers, but I am planning the inside of the face frame to line up with the inside of the cabinets. The reason I thought this was a good idea was because I figured then I could just use frameless euro-hinges (and drawer slides). However, looking at the various websites that sell the hinges just seems to confuse me as to which hinge to get. Rockler has a blum frameless inset hinge, which I think would work, but then I think that I must be figuring wrong because why would you make a frameless cab with an inset door. I thought the whole idea of inset cabinetry was to see the face frames. Anyway, I seem to have the dreaded "paralysis by analysis" disease. Do any of you folks design cabinetry the way Ive decribed, and what do you use for hinges?

Thanks

Drew

ps, I know my username says James, but I go by Drew

Use the concealed euro hinges as you describe -- the ones for frameless cabinets, and inset doors. You'll be fine.

Be sure to read and follow the (usually poorly written) instruction sheet that comes with the hinges.

And do what I do every time I'm using a new (to me) hinge model. Make a mockup of the front of a cabinet, and a mockup of the stile of a door. Mount the hinge and see if it meets your expectations.

Be sure to check for any binding that might occur if two adjascent doors are opened at the same time, or any if a hinge is next to a side wall.

Andy McCormick
03-26-2010, 7:01 PM
You can buy euro hinges that require a 1/2 inch space on the back of the face frame. I have built several kitchens with them. They are called blum face frame mounting clip. It require use of a half cranked hinge. Andy

James Morton
03-26-2010, 10:42 PM
Thanks guys, I appreciate your help.