PDA

View Full Version : Workbench Top Material

Scott Gibbons
03-26-2010, 12:50 PM
I am going to go with either MDF or Particleboard 4 layers laminated with a final 1/4 replaceable layer of hardy board for my workbench top. The over all dimensions will be 40x96. I have read conflicting information between which would be a better product. To fasten to the top to my steel legs, I will countersink bolts that will be hidden by the hardy board. So this leaves me with 2 questions

1. MDF or Particleboard
2. What kind of glue should I use for lamination

Thanks!

Jerome Hanby
03-26-2010, 4:46 PM
I would go with MDF. Maybe use the Titebond laminate glue (the light brown stuff). Think that would give you more open time and very similar bonding to TB-II or TB-III

Scott Gibbons
03-26-2010, 7:03 PM
Thanks Jerome!

John Thompson
03-26-2010, 7:33 PM
+1 on MDF...

Scott Gibbons
03-26-2010, 8:31 PM
MDF if is, off to lowes in the AM! thanks guys

Scott Gibbons
03-27-2010, 4:06 PM
I picked up 5 sheets, 4 for the top and 1 for a box/stringer and 1 gallon of the brown titebond. Man that MDF is heavy

Larry Nall
03-27-2010, 10:30 PM
Did you mean hardboard for the replaceable top or Hardie Board? Big difference.

Scott Gibbons
03-27-2010, 10:31 PM
I think i mean Hardie Board. The stuff is dark brown and about 1/4 thick

Paul Atkins
03-28-2010, 2:24 AM
Oh, Masonite! I thought Hardie board was concrete. Maybe ask the Hardy boys. Hardy Har Har. Boy, is it late or what?

Tony Bilello
03-28-2010, 6:53 AM
MDF was a wise choice. It is easier on you and the tools. To me, dust is much easier top deal with than sharp chips, besides the MDF is way way stronger.

ROY DICK
03-28-2010, 7:20 AM
Build the apron up 1/4" and drop the masonite in. If you need to replace it latter, lift it up and drop in a new one.

Roy

Scott Gibbons
03-28-2010, 9:29 AM
Yes masonite thats the stuff.

Lee Koepke
03-28-2010, 9:49 AM
I also wiped down a thin coat of paste wax on my masonite, keeps it smooth and clean looking!

Wayne Hendrix
03-28-2010, 11:52 AM
Build the apron up 1/4" and drop the masonite in. If you need to replace it latter, lift it up and drop in a new one.

Roy
I agree that's what mine is set up to do except its two layers of plywood not MDF.

Lex Boegen
03-28-2010, 11:58 AM
Hardboard (typical brand = Masonite) is a good choice. You can also get "tempered hardboard" which is moisture-resistant. I've seen 4x8 sheets of tempered hardboard at the BORG which has a smooth top layer with a white finish on it. It literally is only a couple of dollars more than standard hardboard, and I think the white finish would make cleaning up glue spills, etc. a lot easier. You could also use a dry erase marker on it for quick notes--it would in effect be a large whiteboard.

Scott Gibbons
03-28-2010, 12:00 PM
Ok I have to ask, I keep seeing this tossed around... What is "The BORG"?

I have never seen the white top, but that would be great!

Lex Boegen
03-28-2010, 12:14 PM
Ok I have to ask, I keep seeing this tossed around... What is "The BORG"?

I have never seen the white top, but that would be great!

BORG = Big Orange Retail Giant (aka Home Depot, Lowes, etc.)

joe milana
03-28-2010, 1:15 PM
If utilized, how do bench dog holes hold up in MDF?

Scott Gibbons
03-28-2010, 1:18 PM
BORG = Big Orange Retail Giant (aka Home Depot, Lowes, etc.)

LOL thank you Lex. Here I thought I was missing some new wood working store.

ken gibbs
03-28-2010, 4:28 PM
Hardie Board or Hardie Plank is concrete. I strongly advise making sure it is not Hardie Plank/concrete. I built my new shop out of Hardie panels. Great stuff but not for bench tops.

Scott Gibbons
03-28-2010, 4:30 PM
I am going to use masonite, I hope i can find the white topped stuff locally. All I have found so far is brown.

Jerome Hanby
03-29-2010, 7:57 PM
I picked up 5 sheets, 4 for the top and 1 for a box/stringer and 1 gallon of the brown titebond. Man that MDF is heavy

Man, you are not lying! A sheet of MDF is about the limit of my sheet good manipulation ability.

Scott Gibbons
03-29-2010, 7:59 PM
I was beat by the time I got all five of them into the garage. Not only are they heavy, but I was trying to be careful not to damage the sheets.

Louis Brandt
03-29-2010, 8:26 PM
What thickness MDF? I don't think that you mentioned that.

Scott Gibbons
03-29-2010, 8:27 PM
thickenss is 3/4"

Mike Weaver
03-29-2010, 10:57 PM
I am going to use masonite, I hope i can find the white topped stuff locally. All I have found so far is brown.I don't think you'll find white masonite. The white faced is melamine as far as I know - it's a thin veneered particleboard and inferior for a benchtop, IMHO.

BTW, if you drill a finger-sized hole up through your 3/4" thick layers in one corner of your bench, but NOT through your masonite top, you can poke your finger up through the MDF layers to pop off the sacrificial top when it's tine to replace it. :D

Good Luck & post pics.
-Mike

Mike Davin
03-30-2010, 9:33 AM
I used MDF for my bench and a few coats of floor poly. Works great. Every few years I hit it with my ROS rough it up and reapply the poly.

Dale Sandford
03-30-2010, 10:25 AM
+1 on the poly. I used polyurethane and a little wax on my MDF table saw outfeed table.

If you're using wood glue to laminate sheets of MDF the glue penetrates better if you very lightly sand the face of the MDF.

-- Dale

Russ Filtz
03-30-2010, 10:51 AM
LOL thank you Lex. Here I thought I was missing some new wood working store.

Not a Star Trek fan I take it? The BORG were a cybernetic race that tried to assimilate everyone they met into a hive-mind like existence. So any large, soulless entity that threatens to suck you in and never let you (or your money) go is a "BORG"! I like that thought better than the official one, keeps you on your guard when in such places.

Scott Gibbons
03-30-2010, 10:52 AM
+1 on the poly. I used polyurethane and a little wax on my MDF table saw outfeed table.

If you're using wood glue to laminate sheets of MDF the glue penetrates better if you very lightly sand the face of the MDF.

-- Dale

Thanks Dale,
I was wondering if I should rought it up a bit

Brian Williamson
03-30-2010, 4:43 PM
I have a very similar bench to the one you are considering. It's 3 layers of 3/4" MDF with a skin of Masonite. I used TB1 for gluing the MDF and used contact cement to attach the Masonite skin. I wax the Masonite periodically to keep stuff from sticking to it. I also drilled 3/4" holes on a 6" grid over the entire surface.

The base is made of hemlock 4x4's for the legs and feet and 2x4's for the stretchers and aprons. I pinned it all together with ipe pins and tusks.

The MDF is very heavy and has held up well for the 7+ years I have had the bench. The whole thing weighs a TON and is stable, which is great for all the hand planing I do.

I think you'll be happy with your choice.

Greg Portland
03-30-2010, 4:45 PM
Man that MDF is heavyIf you ever have to get 1"+ Appleply then bring a (big) friend. One item that I like using when buying or moving sheet goods is the Gorilla Gripper. Other panel lift options work but I like the portability of the Gripper. It is expensive but it works well on 1/2"-1"+ material. For thinner sheets just pick the stuff up :-).