PDA

View Full Version : As discussed earlier

Keith Christopher
11-09-2004, 1:32 PM
what differs about women and wood working. Well my aunt and I were making jokes about pink table saws, hammers with furry handles. . . so today she sends me this. Thought I would share.

Donnie Raines
11-09-2004, 1:36 PM
LOL...

My wife want to add my LN chisel for opening up paint cans, and for my LN #4 1/2 for getting paint off the cutting board...... :rolleyes:

Dennis McDonaugh
11-09-2004, 2:19 PM
Man, thats the truth. We have a full set of common tools in the junk drawer right next to the silverware drawer and I find Katherine using a knife to turn a screw. Oh, and the big knife is good for hamering in brads because its flat on the back of the handle!

Norman Hitt
11-09-2004, 4:40 PM
what differs about women and wood working. Well my aunt and I were making jokes about pink table saws, hammers with furry handles. . . so today she sends me this. Thought I would share.

About a year or so ago, a contractor posted on another forum that he had been experiencing a lot of tool theft, so he painted ALL his portable tools Passionate Pink, and hadn't lost a tool since.

I have bought 4 different pair of diagonal cutters and placed them around with the household tools, but my wife just CANNOT remember to use them when cutting Wire to hang pictures, instead she has now ruined three pair of High Dollar pruning clippers.

Brian Hale
11-09-2004, 8:03 PM
My LOML must be the exception. She has her set of tools and i have mine. Her sawzall, Her circular saw, Her cordless drills, sockets, wrenches, meters, etc... I'm allowed to use them as long as i put them back. :rolleyes:

The other unique thing about Kathy is that she built this house. Actually, when she wanted to tear down the original house and build a new one the bank wouldn't let her as she had only owned it for a few years. Never one to be told she can't do something, she did a bunch of reading and asked lots of advice and did the darnest thing... Dug out the foundation and jacked up the old house. Got a D9 cat and dug a new basement, put in cinder block walls and steel beams and set the old house on it's new much larger basement. Then built the new house around the old one and ripped the old one out thru the doors and windows. :eek: At the time i helped her by framing out the new one and various other tasks but she did most of the work. HVAC, plumbing, electrical, sheetrock etc and all while a single being parent raising 2 young kids and going to college. The pictures are amazing!!

Not bad for an environmental engineer :cool:

Brian

Bart Leetch
11-09-2004, 8:21 PM
[QUOTE=Brian Hale]My LOML Got a D9 cat and dug a new basement, put in cinder block walls and steel beams and set the old house on it's new much larger basement.

I just gotta ask are you sure it was a D9? I used to operate a D7 weighing in at 60700 lbs it would have been way bigger than needed. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Brian Hale
11-09-2004, 8:43 PM
I think your right Bart! Looking at the album, it was a small International that dug the basement. My apologies... :(

Brian

Here's a picture of the picture in the album...

Betsy Yocum
11-09-2004, 9:57 PM
My LOML must be the exception... Never one to be told she can't do something,
I like Kathy's thinking. I was told by a man at a building materials store once that there was no way you could hang drywall on a vaulted stairway ceiling by yourself, let alone a woman by herself. No way! HA!!!!! That man knows not what he started - not only did I successful hang drywall on a 9 foot stairway ceiling by myself - I taped mudded and textured it. All by my little lonesome - One should never tell a woman "she can't" :D I went on to gut and restore an 11 room farmhouse which I turned around a sold for a whole bunch more than I paid for it.

I think what Kathy did was marvelous!:)

Betsy

Bart Leetch
11-09-2004, 10:42 PM
I think your right Bart! Looking at the album, it was a small International that dug the basement. My apologies... :(

Brian

Here's a picture of the picture in the album...

That looks a little like what I had in mind a little closer to a D 2 & a 1/2 if they had ever made one.

You see my Dad was a builder & he & I remodeled the family home & he dug out under the existing house with a rented tracked end-loader & set it up on the bank & I pushed it away with our dozer. Yep been there done that.

If Kathy had a D9 she could have removed that whole house so quick that the local building department would never have missed it. :)

Brian Hale
11-10-2004, 5:46 PM
Betsy, You've made me envious!! This house still isn't finished. The master bedroom is still just sheetrock without any mud and the basement is my woodshop. There's a big hole in the side yard where the garage will be one day soon and then my shop goes in the top of that and i start working on the basement. Until then were sleeping in the master bath where the hot tub goes. Not many folks have a bedroom with an exahust fan! :cool: :D

Keith, Sorry i highjacked you thread......:o

Brian

Jack Hogoboom
11-10-2004, 6:07 PM
Brian and Betsy,

I envy both of you. I have a female colleague at work who is similarly inclined and skilled. She rebuilt her house and designed and built her own shed. She probably weighs 110 lbs. soaking wet.

My wife, on the other hand, thinks a D-9 is a diamond grading and thinks mud is something you wipe off your feet before you come into the house.

Jack

Christopher Pine
11-10-2004, 9:31 PM
:eek:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=9810&highlight=apology

:confused: :)

Keith Christopher
11-10-2004, 10:43 PM
Chris,

I know it seems on the edge, but I was mostly referring to a post where (I believe) Betsy and others were joking about why is there a class for women and woodworking -like they do it any differently- I thought this was funny and was not meant to offend (which I don't believe it did.) I have the utmost respect for person in any capacity to which they excel; be it woodworking to homemaking, Just like I would any other person male of female and believe me, I cast more stones at male stereotypes then I ever do women.

Christopher Pine
11-10-2004, 11:50 PM
Chris,

I know it seems on the edge, but I was mostly referring to a post where (I believe) Betsy and others were joking about why is there a class for women and woodworking -like they do it any differently- I thought this was funny and was not meant to offend (which I don't believe it did.) I have the utmost respect for person in any capacity to which they excel; be it woodworking to homemaking, Just like I would any other person male of female and believe me, I cast more stones at male stereotypes then I ever do women.

No problem at all I just posted it and it was deleted and I was told someone took offense.. I was just talking about the magazine "woodworking for women" with my wife the other day. I have not thoroughly looked at it but what I recall seeing was very basic plans etc... to me was kindof offensive in that women can only do basic woodworking? Not true!
Anyway I was not offended! Just was funny to see that on here again.

Have a good week! Happy veterans day all!
Chris

Keith Christopher
11-11-2004, 12:38 AM
Chris,

I have to agree with you. if a magazine has plans for a stupid simple things labelled as woodworking for women. I would love to send any of the female woodworkers here and those I know to the editor to kick him in the Behind ! ! :D

Shelley Bolster
11-11-2004, 8:34 AM
Keith, first let me say that I had a good laugh at the pic your aunt sent you! It really shouldn't offend but reinforce the fact that, in the hands of a woman, anything can be used as a tool - we are just that ingenious! ;) :D haha

I have to agree with you. if a magazine has plans for a stupid simple things labelled as woodworking for women. I would love to send any of the female woodworkers here and those I know to the editor to kick him in the Behind ! ! http://sawmillcreek.org/images/smilies/biggrin.gif
First, the editor of the magazine is a woman.

Second, 2 of us "female woodworkers here" tried to do just what you suggested on the WFW Forum where we both, at one time, were regular contributors.

Now, in all fairness to the magazine, at the time I started the above thread, only a few issues had hit the stands. Have they changed their direction - I have no idea as I have not looked at one scince. However, it's my understanding that they were advised during the early development of the magazine, that the projects were leaning towards crafting with wood and not what most would consider woodworking as the title led you to believe.

Anyways Keith, this is as good as place as any to express my appreciation (and I think I speak for most of the other ladies here) to those of you that have treated us as fellow Woodworkers!
Shelley

Betsy Yocum
11-11-2004, 1:59 PM
Keith - I think your post is hiliarious!!:D I laughed quite a lot and shared it with several friends. I have definite opinions about sterotyping women in all sorts of ways. But I honestly have not felt one time on the forum that any of the guys have stereotyped me or any of the other women on the forum. I feel very much an equal here and will always be the first to laugh at anything poking fun at stereotypes. Heck - I'd poke fun at you guys if I had a half decent sense of humor and could come up with the picture your aunt sent!!:D

Long and short - keep those fun posts going - !!!!! :p :p

Keith Christopher
11-11-2004, 2:05 PM
Keith, first let me say that I had a good laugh at the pic your aunt sent you! It really shouldn't offend but reinforce the fact that, in the hands of a woman, anything can be used as a tool - we are just that ingenious! ;) :D haha
I totally agree with this statement. :o

First, the editor of the magazine is a woman.
oopsie, my bad and unintentional. *sheepish grin*

Anyways Keith, this is as good as place as any to express my appreciation (and I think I speak for most of the other ladies here) to those of you that have treated us as fellow Woodworkers!
Shelley
Because you all are fellow and very talented woodworkers !

:o