PDA

View Full Version : OT--Buying a truck on ebay

John Murphy
04-01-2003, 12:06 PM
Just wondered if anyone had done this. I'm looking for a truck and the selection on ebay is tremendous. Lots better than the local papers. Prices seem good, too. I have purchased a few items on ebay, but nothing near this big. I guess the main thing you would have to do is check the sellers feedback, and maybe do a carfax report. Other than that, I don't know. There's a good selection of them in Dallas/Ft. Worth. That's about a 2.5 hr drive from here, which would be okay.

Other than that, I'm just a wary person. Been bit once or twice! :rolleyes: Any input would be appreciated!

Have a good one!
Murph

Chris McKimson
04-01-2003, 12:14 PM
Murph,

I've had better luck with used cars since taking everyone I'm interested in to a mechanic for a check out. They can do a better job of evaluating the condition of the car than me, and it's proved to be well worth the expense.

I'm guessing that's would be more problematic buying ala Ebay, but perhaps you could email the seller to find out.

Chris

Mike Evertsen
04-01-2003, 12:23 PM
e-mail the seller ask as many question as you can think of ask if you can come and see it before you bid,,,or if you win the bid if it's not what he advertise are you going to held to the bid,,,
if your not comfortable with the answerers don't bid,,,,,

John Murphy
04-01-2003, 12:55 PM
I guess I could drive over to Dallas to check it out BEFORE I bid. It'd be a bit of trouble, but it could save lots of headache.

Murph

Bobby Hatfield
04-01-2003, 1:25 PM
Hey John, whatcha gettin, F250 Power Stroke ? I want a bright RED Crew real bad. My old 89-250 is gettin battle worn. My Ranger fits me better, you know "Ole Geezer's Truck".

John Murphy
04-01-2003, 2:20 PM
I definitely want a 4 wheel drive, definitely an extended cab, definitely at least a 1/2 ton, wouldn't mind a 3/4. Probably gas, but wouldn't mind a deisel (I pull a ski boat around or my bass tracker every summer). Around a 94-97 year model. I'm partial to Chevys, but like a change every now and then. That's why I'm growing a mustache and goatee now. My students are shocked!

Later,
Murph

P.S. How do you get your picture on your posts. I've tried to modify my profile, but don't see anything about an a____ ( whatever help files call that thing).

Lee Schierer
04-01-2003, 3:14 PM
Originally posted by John Murphy
h

P.S. How do you get your picture on your posts. I've tried to modify my profile, but don't see anything about an a____ ( whatever help files call that thing).

John, Go to the User Control panel in the menu and once that screen opens, click on "Edit Options". You will find a place at th bottom to add your Avatar.

John Murphy
04-01-2003, 3:43 PM
When I get home. I don't have a pic up here.

Thanks
John

Jim Becker
04-01-2003, 4:25 PM
John, be sure you check everything out REALLY well and don't fall for any fake-escrow service scams that have been plaguing large item sales, including vehicles. Just because they have a VIN doesn't mean they have the car!

Personally, I'd use one of the more well-known online car finding services for this or use Internet research to give you some bargaining power with your local dealers. (Edmonds.com is a very useful resource). I've saved a lot of money and grief that way for the last few vehicle purchases, including proper valuation of trades.

Jason Roehl
04-01-2003, 6:10 PM
John,

Now, this is secondhand info, but if you're looking in the '94-'97 Chevy range, DO NOT get a diesel. It's been a long time since Chevy put a decent diesel on the market. My friend bought a '95 Chevy diesel (6.5L) w/ 100K on it a few years ago, and it was obviously headed downhill. He ended up taking it back shortly after. Ford and Dodge diesels typically can go 300K before the engine needs a rebuild. You're better off with a 350 gas from those years. I could wax endlessly about diesels since my B-I-L used to work for Cummins in the Dodge division. He was around when they tore down virtually every light-duty diesel engine on the market. Some aren't worth the metal they're made of.

Chuck Gramling
04-01-2003, 6:57 PM
As someone said, ask a lot of questions. If the ad even hints about a probelm, be sure to ask all about it because it will be worse than they portray it. If you ask them directly you get an honest answer. If you dont ask you get a surprise when you go pick it up.

Its just plain human nature - people accentuate the positives and talk around the negatives. Even pretty honest people mis represent their car a bit and get a bit testy when you press them on it in my experience.

I bought 3 cars and 1 tractor off of e-bay, and every one of them had undisclosed defects or were misrepresented to one degree or another. Most weren't a bad deal though.

IMO when it comes to buying a vehicle via e-bay, be sure you are buying it cheaper than you would somewhere else to make up for the inevitable "disappointments".

Good luck

George Grubaugh
04-01-2003, 7:00 PM
I own a car repair shop. About twelve of my clients have bought online, two of them got good cars & or deals. Check carefully before you buy! Buyer beware, especially if you have no recourse against a seller hundreds or more miles away.

John Murphy
04-03-2003, 9:58 AM
Appreciate all the advice. I think the majority of the replies tend to make me buy elsewhere. I ran across one at an auction a couple of days ago. Could have gotten a good deal, but they wouldn't let you drive it. All they would do was start it up. Scared me away.

Finally got my pic on here. Sure got blurry, though, when I went to 50x50 pixels. Oh well, better than nothing. At least yal aren't talking to a ghost now!

Later,
Murph :D

Michael Cody
04-03-2003, 11:07 AM
Actually the majority of replies here sound like most folks buying used cars even when the do check them out! :( <br>

Basically I would avoid Ebay too unless the vehicle was close enough to drive & check out.. Lots of folks don't know what to look for or what it's worth, but it's still to much of a chance to me to buy it sight unseen...