PDA

View Full Version : Parallel Jaw Clamps

Greg Hines, MD
03-26-2010, 10:26 AM
I have been looking for some parallel jaw clamps to augment my growing collection, and found this today in the email:

http://www.ptreeusa.com/edirect_032610.htm

Does anyone have an opinion, particularly from people who have them? I have a pair of Bessey Revo clamps that I like, but this is a great price.

Doc

Prashun Patel
03-26-2010, 10:38 AM
I was waiting for someone to post this. I got the 59" version of these last year for $104. I haven't had a good experience with them:

The clips kept slipping on the bars when tightened.
Some people with the same prob said flip the clips end for end and reinstall. I did. It worked fine for a while, then started slipping again.
I called PTree and they graciously offered to send new clips. I got new clips and installed them. 1 still doesn't work, and the remaining 3 work sporadically.

Of course, they fail at the time I'm the most stressed out: during a large glue up. Then I'm scrambling for backup clamps.

If I could do it again, I'd save up for better ones.

On the positive side, the articulating handle is a neat feature when they DO work.

Neil Brooks
03-26-2010, 10:54 AM
FWIW,

JET ... just won out, in testing done by Fine Woodworking for their Tools & Shops issue.

I don't want to say too much ... for fear of violating their copyright rights ... or ... SMC's terms, but ... they beat the big name parallel clamps, including Bessey and Jorgensen.

On that info, I ordered a 4-pack, including 2 - 24" and 2 - 40".

Just arrived, yesterday. No opportunity to try them out, yet.

I keep reminding myself ... that clamps are a good place to "buy the best I can afford...."

Even when I can't ;)

Dan Schocke
03-26-2010, 11:13 AM
My copy of the FWW review had both JET and Jorgensen selected as the best overall...

I don't have any of the JET clamps, but I will say that I favor my Jorgensen parallel clamps over the Bessey k-body and revo clamps that I own.

Neil Brooks
03-26-2010, 11:21 AM
You're right, Dan.

Thanks for the clarification.

I think I interpreted their results because they gave Jet the nod in clamping force....

glenn bradley
03-26-2010, 11:22 AM
FWW did favor the Jorgies and the Jets (despite the Jets breaking during the drop test). The Peachtree's were not tested but the Woodline clamps were. I have seen both the Peacthree and Woodline's at the shows and they 'seem' about equal in your hand; I passed on both. Although the price is attractive having had experience with the Besseys your satisfaction with the others may be low.