PDA

View Full Version : The Bomb Box

Frederick Gross
03-26-2010, 10:11 AM
This is a shadowbox that I originally made for myself as a retirement gift. But shortly after completing it, the wife of a friend that was retiring at the same time wanted one for her husband.

I had already packed up my shop for moving, so swapped the guts and gave it to her. One of these days, I'll get around to making myself one......again.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y213/usmcbombboy/Woodworking/BombBox3.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y213/usmcbombboy/Woodworking/BombBox5.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y213/usmcbombboy/Woodworking/BombBox6.jpg

John Thompson
03-26-2010, 11:27 AM
Nice job Fred. I assume the metals are those of your friend. So...... congratulations on your own retirement and tell Top congratulations on his and that bronze one in the case. I got two of those bronze thingy's and a purple but just keep them in the presentation cases they came in. I'm retired also but not from the military.. Just did my 3 as an RA and went civvy in 69' when I got home from the Nam.

Good build and yep... do one for yourself! ;)

Frederick Gross
03-26-2010, 3:42 PM
John, the medals/rank are mine. I took the photos just after I had just completed it. Her husband/my friend retired as a Captain and I never got a picture with his "junk" in it (mover's packed up the camera).

Welcome home and thank you for your service.

P.S. I never really had an urge to make one for myself, but my wife/family talked me into it. You should take the time to make one for yourself as well so you can share it with your family.

John Olson
03-26-2010, 4:07 PM
Outstanding

John Thompson
03-26-2010, 7:47 PM
John, the medals/rank are mine. I took the photos just after I had just completed it. Her husband/my friend retired as a Captain and I never got a picture with his "junk" in it (mover's packed up the camera).

Welcome home and thank you for your service.

P.S. I never really had an urge to make one for myself, but my wife/family talked me into it. You should take the time to make one for yourself as well so you can share it with your family.

I probably will Fred.. if I get the time. Since I retired 10/22/07 she gave me a list. 15 carcass pieces on that list and I just finished #11 a couple of days ago waiting on the finish to gas off and then wax. Should post mid to late week as this one is a rather simple crochet-lamp table.

So.. if the requisition basket doesn't get any new requests should be free in the not distant figure as I can usually do a piece in 2-2 1/2 monts. I wouldn't mind having one.

And thank you for your service Top.. what was your basic MOS? They may call it something different now. I wanted to be a P-38 can opener repair man but they sent me off to Airborne and latter LRRP school as they told me P-38 can opener were a bit complicated and well over my head! :D

Regards for the evening Top...

Frederick Gross
03-26-2010, 9:54 PM
.. what was your basic MOS? :D

Infantry for ten years, then switched to EOD for the last eleven