PDA

View Full Version : Smoke detectors going off

Michael Ballent
11-09-2004, 11:10 AM
Well a was woken up this morning (4am) with the sounds of our smoke detectoers going off.:eek: hunted all over the house for a fire and there was nothing burning just the fire alarms making all sorts of racket. To make things better they are all wired together so they all go off at the same time :confused: Nice for the safety aspect but a pain to find out which one started to go off, and to top it off I have 12 foot cathedral ceilings :mad: So adreneline is still running through me and I need to get the ladder out of the garage knocked a few things over and start climbing the ladder (did I mention that I am afraid of heights). Took three detectors to find the one that started it all... *uhg*

So now what do I do??? What would cause the smoke detector to go off for no reason :confused: very frustrating but still happy that nothing really bad happened, except for this overweight, height fearing, boxer wearing, woodworker climbing a 10 foot ladder in the middle of the night with hearing protection :D

Hope your day has started better for you.

Martin Shupe
11-09-2004, 11:26 AM
Hi Michael:

Do your smoke detectors have back up (usually 9 volt) batteries installed? Mind do, and about once a year, they start "chirping", undoubtedly at 0400. This is to let you know it is time to replace the batteries. They say to replace your batteries when you change your clocks. I think that is a great way to sell batteries, but I usually try to do it only once per year.

The noise will be short, but if you don't do anything, it will repeat about every 5 minutes. Impossible to sleep through.

Mine, however, don't seem to be wired together.

As far as stumbling around looking for and moving the step ladder while half asleep....been there, done that!

Tyler Howell
11-09-2004, 11:32 AM
Please Mike! No Pix of that one!:eek:
I am assuming AC Smoke Detectors??? Battery Back up??
Dust and dirt can do the deed. Furnace coming on.. Sometimes a componant is failing and one triggers them all. A power surge or failing battery.

I was in OKC with a buddy that found a great buy on some detectors while he was in the same class as I was. They went off in the middle of the night. Was he pissed about getting jipped on these finds till he discovered the hotel room had a slow burning power distribution panel and the installed detectors didn't go off!
Replace the defective but do not dissable them!
They save lives!

Michael Ballent
11-09-2004, 11:42 AM
Hi Michael:

Do your smoke detectors have back up (usually 9 volt) batteries installed? Mind do, and about once a year, they start "chirping", undoubtedly at 0400. This is to let you know it is time to replace the batteries. They say to replace your batteries when you change your clocks. I think that is a great way to sell batteries, but I usually try to do it only once per year.
No not chirping... Full on alarm and every single one of the buggers going off full blast. They are wired into the house's electrical and have the 9V backup.

Donnie Raines
11-09-2004, 11:46 AM
My house did the same thing!!! Ours did not have any battery back ups. The problem/resolution was pretty straight forward for us. When you take off the "cover" to access the inner workings of the alarm, you will see a reflector of sorts. This reflector will be very shiney. Mine were covered in dust/dead bugs and other stuff and it was prohibting the "sensor" to make contact thus it thought it was smokey. Clean them up and never had a problem since.

Now, I found this out through a buddy of mine who happens to be a fireman....so I did consult someone about it. I encourage you to do the same, just in case.

Michael Ballent
11-09-2004, 11:46 AM
Please Mike! No Pix of that one!:eek:
I am assuming AC Smoke Detectors??? Battery Back up??
Dust and dirt can do the deed. Furnace coming on.. Sometimes a componant is failing and one triggers them all. A power surge or failing battery.

I was in OKC with a buddy that found a great buy on some detectors while he was in the same class as I was. They went off in the middle of the night. Was he pissed about getting jipped on these finds till he discovered the hotel room had a slow burning power distribution panel and the installed detectors didn't go off!
Replace the defective but do not dissable them!
They save lives!
Thanks for the pass on the Pic Patrol ;) Do I need to blow out the smoke detectors, and if I need to replace them where do I go... doubt that the borg carry them.

Kevin Arceneaux
11-09-2004, 12:12 PM
How old are they? If dust gets between the sensor and the source it can cause the alarm to go off. The sensors also degrade over time and the alarm may need to be replaced.

Dave Anderson NH
11-09-2004, 12:21 PM
We have a central smoke alarm system in our house and the one at the top of the stairs to the second floor is just outside the bathroom door. As empty nesters were are quite casual about closing bathroom doors when home alone. The steam from a hot shower has often set ours off. Very irritating when Sue is showing at 4AM and I'm still asleep. Fortunately it only happens 3-4 times per year.

Michael Ballent
11-09-2004, 12:29 PM
How old are they? If dust gets between the sensor and the source it can cause the alarm to go off. The sensors also degrade over time and the alarm may need to be replaced.
Well the house is 10 years old, so they are at most that old...

Kevin Arceneaux
11-09-2004, 12:34 PM
Have you changed the battery? If you have and it is still being a PITA, replace. In the big picture, the cost of a new one is a lot less than the hassle of fighting it everytime it goes off or having the system down and have a fire. You already have the ladder handy! :)

Glenn Clabo
11-09-2004, 12:51 PM
We have a central smoke alarm system in our house and the one at the top of the stairs to the second floor is just outside the bathroom door. As empty nesters were are quite casual about closing bathroom doors when home alone. The steam from a hot shower has often set ours off. Very irritating when Sue is showing at 4AM and I'm still asleep. Fortunately it only happens 3-4 times per year.
Okay Dave...Just wondering. What actually happens 3-4 times a year? Sue takes a shower...You are asleep when Sue takes a shower...or you are asleep and the alarm goes off because it's 4am?

Tyler Howell
11-09-2004, 1:36 PM
We test them in our buildings with canned smoke (fine dust) and then clean them with compressed air in a can (computer type duster).

You can find replacements at Granger and Graybar. All are not compatible. You may have to shop.

Dave Anderson NH
11-09-2004, 4:10 PM
I'm not gonna say any more, you got way too much info already.:D :eek: If Sue ever read this I'd be dogmeat.

Dennis Peacock
11-09-2004, 4:47 PM
Funny you should mention the SD at 4AM...... :confused:

Mine went off this morning at exactly 4AM with chirping......replaced the battery and went back to bed. :rolleyes: Did you wire your SD's to mine? :D

Harry Pye
11-09-2004, 5:35 PM
I believe I read somewhere the typical life span of a smoke detector is then years. At that point the manufacturer recommends replacing them. Ten years is probably conservative but you may have just had the first of several failures. I don't know how much they cost to replace but it is certainly less than the value of a life.

Michael Ballent
11-09-2004, 5:37 PM
Funny you should mention the SD at 4AM...... :confused:

Mine went off this morning at exactly 4AM with chirping......replaced the battery and went back to bed. :rolleyes: Did you wire your SD's to mine? :D
That would be a REALLY long wire ;) I only wish that I chirping ... I could sleep right through that but 6-7 SD going off at the some time is something that you cannot ignore.... no matter how much of a sound sleeper you are ;)