PDA

View Full Version : Begginer Projects

Mark Lincoln
03-26-2010, 9:57 AM
I am looking for a quality source for SMALL beginner projects. Ideally I would like something in the nature of a book that progresses through small projects that help a new woodworker learn the basic skills in the shop. But obviously a good beginner project website would be useful. I have searched and am not sure I have really seen a quality beginner site.

Just as an example of what inspired this post. I have a Beginner Guide to Bandsaw. I read the book twice. Cover to cover, before I got my bandsaw. It mentions drift in it ONCE and never explains it or how to compensate for it. I watched one video from Marc S and now I know. Point being, not a very good beginner guide if it doesnt explain drift which, to me is a pretty basic thing on a band saw that beginner needs to know.

My main interest is to start with some small boxes. I hope to hammer away at one this weekend.

Well thanks for any suggestions,

Regards,

Prashun Patel
03-26-2010, 10:07 AM
I think you've come to the right place. This is a great resource.
Personally, I think there's no better place to start than by getting some copies of Wood Magazine. The plans are well explained, and they have basic as well as advanced projects. The tips and reviews are also good.

Like many mag subscriptions, after a couple years you will probably tire of it. But it's really helped me learn. They become a valuable reference if you are good about indexing the articles...

John Thompson
03-26-2010, 11:32 AM
Just jump into the shop and ask questions about the errors as you will make them. I wish they had inter-net back in 1972 when I was a begginer but they simply didn't and there were few books and no videos. Trial and error and I have enough errors that if I could re-claim the wasted wood I could duplicate the Biltmore House in Asheville, N.C. ha.. ha.. ha..ha..ha..

Have fun and did I mention.. ask questions when in doubt.. :)

Rob Hough
03-26-2010, 11:35 PM
Well being a beginner myself, with zero wood working background to pick from, I've been getting a lot of experience building ji

Cutting boards, as simple as they are, actually put a lot of tools to work and give you a chance to fine tune things, imho. I just put one together for a friend and in the process I used... 6" jointer, 13" planer, tablesaw, router, clamps, ROS sander and even hand sanded.

I believe Marc even has a video regarding cutting boards. Also check out his pencil holder box, and keepsake box vids too.

Kevin Gregoire
03-27-2010, 12:25 AM
im a noob also and i have started with jigs mostly, still working on a nice breadboard
and now a birdhouse and cribbage board.
i need to save some money and get a sheet of MDF and a sheet or two of Baltic Birch
so i can start in on a router cabinet.
i can only dream of the day i can build a dresser or something?

Karl Card
03-27-2010, 3:24 AM
I am still new and I had to backup for a little and learn how to accurately cut a board. I dont know why but I had a problem of cutting a simple board the same length over again and well we will just stop there..

But honestly you can also search the web for plans and also grizzly has a good selection of plans and are rated for beginner etc. I know a professional woodworker would say make your own plans and I do agree to a certain extint but I need to learn a few other things first then start drawing my own plans.

Good luck and I have to agree with the others that "just build" if you have a question just ask and there is more than enough helpful knowledge here on the forum.

Ellen Benkin
03-27-2010, 11:37 AM
Take a woodworking class. Maybe your local Woodcraft or a community college has a beginner class. There must be places near Memphis with weekend or even week long classes. WW machines can be dangerous and I would not recommend trying to learn all about them from books. If you can't find a class, find a friend or neighbor who will walk you through some beginner steps.

There are also schools like the Center for Furniture Craftsmanship in Maine or Anderson Ranch in Colorado where you can go for in depth beginner classes.

The secret to good woodworking is joinery. Find someone or some place where you can learn the basic joints and you will be well on your way.

Myk Rian
03-27-2010, 12:00 PM
Try some woodworking clubs

Indiana
Chiselers and Turners of NE Indiana
5130 Forest Grove
Fort Wayne, IN 46835
Phone: 219-485-2117
Email: bigbob36@juno.com
Council Oak Woodcarvers Club
318 Teri Street
South Bend, IN 46614
Phone: 574-204-2856
Email: Marcia@counciloakwoodcarvers.com
Web site: www.counciloakwoodcarvers.com (http://www.counciloakwoodcarvers.com/)
Home Craftsmen Forum
Indianapolis, IN
Email: treasurer@homecraftsmenforum.com
Web site: www.homecraftsmenforum.com (http://www.homecraftsmenforum.com/)
Hoosier Woodworkers Guild
Phone: 765-489-4300
Lafayette Woodcarvers
c/o John Senft
2140 Hope Ct.
W. Lafayette, IN 47906-9725
Northwest Indiana Woodworkers Association
Web site: www.NIWoodworkers.org (http://www.niwoodworkers.org/)
Three Rivers Woodworking Club
Phone: 260-749-1418
Email: dshutt@verizon.net
Wabash Valley Woodworkers
PO Box 6
West Lafayette, IN 47902
Web site: www.wvww.net (http://www.wvww.net/)
Women's Woodworking Guild of Indiana
c/o Merre Mather
5852 N New Jersey Street
Indianapolis, IN 46220
Meetings second monday of the month. Location varies
Web site: www.womenswoodworking.com (http://www.womenswoodworking.com/)

Joe Scharle
03-27-2010, 2:43 PM
One of the mags (WOOD maybe?) has a monthly feature called "I can do that" or something close. Has a simple project for beginners that can be realistically completed by someone who has limited shop time, between issues.
Years ago, I taught a comm college class for beginners. It also gave the students a card that upon completion, allowed them to subscribe to shop time afterwards. The students built a foot stool with tapered legs, a table with a drawer and/or drop leaf and a case with at least one drawer and one door. Pretty much covered all of the techniques required for an understanding of flat work. Just some ideas you might use.

Steve Friedman
03-27-2010, 4:19 PM
When I first started a couple of years ago, I thought the most helpful thing (besides SMC of course) was to build my first workbench. It wasn't pretty and I tore it down a couple of weeks later, but it was a great learning experience. The second one was a little nicer and is still standing. I'm in the process of planning the third.

Steve