PDA

View Full Version : Kids Get Arthritis Too - My daughter has Arthritis

Jeff Sudmeier
03-26-2010, 7:56 AM
Hello Everyone,

As you may know I have a 4 year old daughter (as well as a 9 month old son). My daughter was diagnosed with Arthritis at the age of 18 months after not being able to walk in the mornings because her knee hurt so bad.

The purpose of this post is to educate everyone that kids do get Arthritis. My daughter is living proof that kids get this painful disease.

My daughter looks totally normal, runs now and you would never know that she is in pain. This is the hardest part about Arthritis, you can't tell that she has it. People just flat out don't belive us when we say she has Arthritis, they say she is having a bad day or will grow out of it.

Unfortunately she will probably have this disease for the rest of her life. Our best hope is that we get it into remission with meds and that we can wean her off these powerful risky medications and have minimal flares.

She is on Methotrexate which is a chemotherapy drug, it is used in smaller doses but it shows you the strength. She gets weekly injections as well as quarterly blood draws. She takes three different kinds of medice twice a day as well as the shots.

I wouldn't change her having this disease. It has made her such a strong independant little girl that can do anything.

For more information visit:
http://www.arthritis.org/chapters/wisconsin/juvenile-arthritis.php

If you would like more information or if you know of or have a child with Arthritis please send me a PM and I can hook you up.

In support of my daughter we are particpating in the Dane County Arthritis walk. If you would like to support my daughter please visit:
http://sunprairiearthritiswalk.kintera.org/faf/donorReg/donorPledge.asp?ievent=312329&supId=283013001

I am on the planning committee for the event and we are holding a silent auction. If you would like to donate something to it, we would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this post. The support we have received from our family and friends means the world to us. I firmly belive that my daughter is doing much better emotionally because she sees how many people care out there.

Sincerely,

Jeff Sudmeier

Dave Hartunian
03-26-2010, 8:53 AM
Jeff that must be a very hard thing to have and deal with. Yes she will be stronger for it. Also anyone clicking on the second link can print out a form to mail in a donation like I just did. Addison sure is a cutie. I wish all the best for your family and hope someday there is a cure.

John Shuk
03-26-2010, 10:48 AM
That's a scary thing. Have you considered testing for Lyme disease?

Chris Kennedy
03-26-2010, 12:15 PM
Both my mother and a friend of mine as a kid had rheumatoid arthritis (as distinct from osteo). It isn't a pleasant thing and I wish your daughter well.

Cheers,

Chris

Leigh Costello
03-29-2010, 6:03 PM
I was 4 when I was diagnosed with arthritis. At 47, I can say the journey can be tough but well worth it. You would not believe the number of naysayers I have endured, but I smile and walk on.

Yes, pain management can be hard to get a handle on, but it sounds like your little girl is doing well. In fact, just got word that the pain in my upper back is the arthritis which has fused 6 vertabrae. Now I have to figure out how to work around this setback, and I will, and keep being active.

So hang in there, and let her cry she when has to and laugh long and often when she doesn't.