PDA

View Full Version : Deal on Patternmakers Rasps

Dave Anderson NH
11-09-2004, 9:21 AM
Just a heads up for those of you who want or need Nicholson patternmakers rasps for any of your projects or for general shop use. Jamestown Distributors in Rhode Island has them on sale at a super deal right now. Normally places like Garrett Wade and Woodcraft sell each of these rasps for over $50 each.

#49 patternmakers Rasp $23.55

#50 patternmakers rasp $28.16

Even with shipping this is a fantastic deal and you can order by phone or on line at www.jamestowndistributors.com (http://www.jamestowndistributors.com).

Every hand tool woodworker should have these in his or her arsenal since they leave a much cleaner surface than normal rasps yet still remove wood quickly. Here's the usual disclaimer-- I'm in no way affiliated with them except I bought a rasp from them 2 years ago when they ran the same great deal.

Alan Turner
11-09-2004, 9:56 AM
Dave,
That is a great buy, and I have both. But I have found of late that the newly imported French rasps, Auriou, are far better rasps, but at quite a price. They are being carried by JOel in NY (toolsforworkingwood.com), HIghland Hardware, and The Best Things. Each has a slightly different selection. The cut is faster, and smoother, with the Aurior, IMHO, but that said, the Nicholson's are excellent rasps.
Alan

David Turner
11-09-2004, 10:27 AM
Thanks Dave. That is a good deal. Just placed my order for set a few minutes ago. David Turner

Bob Smalser
11-09-2004, 10:56 AM
Yes, thanks.

I probably have a dozen rasps as I use them almost every day....but couldn't let these pass by as several of mine are well-worn.

Chris Padilla
11-10-2004, 11:01 AM
Cool...always wanted a set of the "classic" Nicholson rasps but always found a reason to hold-off on paying $100 for them. :) I found my credit card jumping at the screen at getting both of them for around $50. :D

Roy Wall
11-10-2004, 2:27 PM
I just ordered mine!!!

Thanks Dave!

Keith Christopher
11-10-2004, 2:32 PM
Man you all are bad for my budget ! yeah, I ordered them as well.

Tom LaRussa
11-10-2004, 10:06 PM
Man you all are bad for my budget ! yeah, I ordered them as well.
Boy, you guys and your peer-pressure triggered impulse buying!

Thanks to you mine are back ordered by two weeks! :p

Lloyd Robins
11-11-2004, 9:11 AM
All of us lemmings! Thanks for the heads up. With that price it is time to give quality wood files a try. :)

Jack Hogoboom
11-11-2004, 9:28 AM
I'd order them, but I already bought one a year or so ago and now can't remember which one it is. Anyone have any hints as to how I tell the difference?

Jack

Alan Turner
11-11-2004, 10:34 AM
Jack,
If I recall correctly, the # is stamped into the file, near the tang. My impression is that the #49 is far more common (and a bit less expensive), although I have both, and tend ot use the #50 a bit more. I put different colored handles on mine to make grabbing one a bit easier.
Alan

Pam Niedermayer
11-11-2004, 1:59 PM
...I put different colored handles on mine to make grabbing one a bit easier.
Alan

And how do you remember which color is which number?

Pam

Tom LaRussa
11-11-2004, 3:29 PM
And how do you remember which color is which number?
LOL! :eek: :D

That's just the kind of difficulty I would have.

What am I saying? That's just the kind of difficulty I do have -- often.:o

Alan Turner
11-11-2004, 3:38 PM
Pam,
I prefer a wood handle, so the # 50 has a wood handle, and the #49 has a blue plastic handle. The #50 is my preferred rasp, as between the two, and I assoiate that with the wooden handle.
At least I think that is the way I do it, but sometimes CRS does creep in.
Alan

Scott Behrens
11-11-2004, 5:23 PM
but how do I go about making a handle for my rasps once I recieve them. I assume there is an accepted standard for attaching a handle.

Thanks
Scott

Leif Hanson
11-11-2004, 6:05 PM
Here's one method:

http://www.norsewoodsmith.com/ww/chisels/tang/tangintro.htm

http://www.norsewoodsmith.com/ww/chisels/tang/tang20003.jpg

Forgive me if they are a bit crude...

Edit - Another option I should mention that file handles can be bought pretty cheaply at most any hardware store. Also - look for them at your favorite online retailer like toolsforworkingwood.com (http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/Merchant/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=toolshop&Product_Code=EE-FH-297.XX&Category_Code=)

Pam Niedermayer
11-11-2004, 7:52 PM
Pam,
I prefer a wood handle, so the # 50 has a wood handle, and the #49 has a blue plastic handle. The #50 is my preferred rasp, as between the two, and I assoiate that with the wooden handle.
At least I think that is the way I do it, but sometimes CRS does creep in.
Alan

That's hilarious, Alan. Now, how do you know you use the #49 less often because it's somewhat less useful or because it has a less-liked handle?

Perhaps I can help here. How about just putting a number, large and in an obvious position, in the handle?

Pam

Alan Turner
11-12-2004, 5:51 AM
Pam,
That would be too easy and obvious. I tend to bandsaw pretty close to the line, and so a #50, which leaves a bit better surface, is more often my go-to guy. But, since discovering the Auriou (and after the house refinancing cleared) those are the ones I most often use. I have an 8" 14 grain modelmaker's rasp, from Joel in NY, and I use it to relieve tight tails when fitting DT's. It probably has the most miles on it of all. Very sweet tool.
Alan

Pam Niedermayer
11-12-2004, 12:14 PM
Boy, it's not like I wasn't already drooling over Joel's Auriou offerings, you have to go and mention a way to afford them; but I don't know, just paid off the mortgage, not all that excited about regaining monthly payments....

I did succumb to temtation a bit, got one of the cheaper Auriou curved ironing rasps to try. It is sweet.

Pam

Roy Wall
12-29-2004, 1:12 AM
Just got my WOODCRAFT flyer in the mail today....

They're running a 15% off special on these Nicholson Rasps:

#49 on sale for $45.25
#50 on sale for $50.99

So, we did get a bargain!! Thanks Dave:)

Jerry Crawford
12-29-2004, 10:04 AM
These are really great prices. Thanks for the find & I hope they remain available for a few more months.

I use both in my gun building but find that after I shape down to a profile with the 50 I can switch to a scraper. What I wish someone would invent is a smaller profile somewhere in size betewen the Nicholson and a riffler. I'm doing some minor sculpting at the moment and having to switch back and forth between chisels, 80 grit & the larger file is tedious. I think I'd have better control with an intermediate size 49 or 50. There are other files and rasps the size I have in mind but the cut on them is wrong and rasps just butcher the wood.

Lloyd Robins
12-29-2004, 5:15 PM
Jerry, have you talked with Joel at www.toolsforworkingwood.com. He handles the Auriou rasps. Their rasps have different sizes and varying coarsenesses. The phone number is 800-426-4613. I don't have any financial interest in the business, but I do enjoy working with these guys. They may be of help to you. Good luck!

Alan Turner
12-29-2004, 5:55 PM
Jerry,
I use an 8" modelmaker's rasp, 14 point, which is pretty fine for a rasp, from Joel, and it is great. A half round. I use it to fit overly tight dovetails, and for other purposes as well. Don't know how I did without it.
Alan

Jerry Crawford
12-29-2004, 6:04 PM
:eek: awkkk! WOW, $80 bucks for an 8" file. I really appreciate the thought guys and I agree that these are top drawer tools, but it looks like I have to reconsider my options a little or win the lottery.