PDA

View Full Version : Woodworking with a pacemaker

Rick Potter
03-26-2010, 3:11 AM
Well I just got home from a fun filled 2 week, 5 'procedure' visit to the local hospital. The short version is...I now have a pacemaker.

I got to speak to an engineer who works for the company that made it and he gave me some tips which I can pass on here if anyone wants them.

My question to the panel....Do any pacemaker users (no defibrilator) have any tips from experience to share. What can I expect? Does it really affect you in the shop?

Mine comes on when the heart goes below (I think) 70 BPM.

Rick Potter

Eduard Nemirovsky
03-26-2010, 8:54 AM
It should be no interference between your pM and ww machines. If you will not putting current thru your body, PM function would not change.
Ed.

Myk Rian
03-26-2010, 9:33 AM
I've had mine for 8 months. It kicks in at under 60 bpm like yours does.
I had asked my doctor if it would in any way be affected by power tools in the shop. He said no. He did say to stay away from gas powered weed whips, edgers, chainsaws, things like that. They produce a signal from the magneto and spark plug. The lawn tractor is ok because of the distance from the engine, and the metal shielding.
I have experienced no problems at all.

KEEP MAGNETS AWAY FROM IT! Putting one over it will turn it off..

David Prince
03-26-2010, 5:58 PM
Well I just got home from a fun filled 2 week, 5 'procedure' visit to the local hospital. The short version is...I now have a pacemaker.

I got to speak to an engineer who works for the company that made it and he gave me some tips which I can pass on here if anyone wants them.

My question to the panel....Do any pacemaker users (no defibrilator) have any tips from experience to share. What can I expect? Does it really affect you in the shop?

Mine comes on when the heart goes below (I think) 70 BPM.

Rick Potter

I am not sure what would be worse. Getting a pacemaker or being out of the shop for 2 weeks! :o Hope you're feeling better!

Rick Potter
03-26-2010, 6:02 PM
Wow, Myk. I just bought a new gas weed trimmer. I probably would not have thought of that one.

Rick Potter

Belinda Barfield
03-26-2010, 6:39 PM
Rick,

Sorry to hear that you were out of your shop for two weeks, but I'm really glad you got everything "fixed" and now have the pacer. I'm guessing you're going to feel a lot better. Good doctors, good equipment = good outcome! :)

I'm coming up on six weeks that I will be out of commission - not looking forward to it!