PDA

View Full Version : Next Metal

John Terefenko
03-25-2010, 11:47 PM
This is the latest metal sleeving in my series. It is a woven chrome sleeving which I cast in clear poly resin. I put it on a chrome cigar kit and also a chrome/satin chrome elegant sierra kit. The problem came in when I tried to take a photo. the shine of the chrome made it very hard and I tried both indoor and outdoor and this is the best I can do. Not being a professional photogragher I do not know all the tricks. Thanks for looking.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v233/JTTHECLOCKMAN/cigarchrome.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v233/JTTHECLOCKMAN/IMGP0587.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v233/JTTHECLOCKMAN/IMGP0580.jpg

Steve Vaughan
03-25-2010, 11:49 PM
I'm not a pen turner, but I gotta say, that is really cool there!

Bernie Weishapl
03-25-2010, 11:55 PM
John those are beautiful. All I can say is Wow.

John Terefenko
03-26-2010, 12:10 AM
John those are beautiful. All I can say is Wow.

Hey Bernie, I just noticed you will be closing in on 14,000 posts. Do you live here???:D I commend you for being a dedicated contibuter here. Job well done and thanks for the kind words.

Steve Schlumpf
03-26-2010, 12:15 AM
Wow - Now this works! Love the monochromatic look as well as the implied texture of the braid! Very cool pens - both of the them!

The Chrome Elegant Beauty should win some type of award for originality or something! Really nice!

Thanks for sharing!

John Keeton
03-26-2010, 6:25 AM
John, you are using some very unique techniques! While I have not yet developed an interest in doing pens, I do enjoy seeing the various mediums used by penmakers. Your efforts are at the top of the list!

I agree with Steve on the Chrome Elegant Beauty - everything about that combination works. It is one of the best designed pens I have seen.

Excellent work!

Chris Stolicky
03-26-2010, 8:31 AM
I really like these blanks. I assume you are sliding the medal part over a tube and casting it.

Are you using PR or allumilite? or something else

Pressure pot and or vacuum?

Although I have attempted a little segmenting lately, I did tried casting with PR once, and just haven't messed with it since. Maybe some day I will get back to it....

Matt Owen
03-26-2010, 9:25 AM
Those are beautiful, John! If you ever did a photo tutorial on how to make these, I'm sure a lot of people would be interested, including myself.:)

Great job!

Matt

steven carter
03-26-2010, 10:33 AM
John,

The pens are fantastic, and there is nothing wrong with the photography either.

Steve

John Terefenko
03-26-2010, 10:34 AM
I really like these blanks. I assume you are sliding the medal part over a tube and casting it.

Are you using PR or allumilite? or something else

Pressure pot and or vacuum?

Although I have attempted a little segmenting lately, I did tried casting with PR once, and just haven't messed with it since. Maybe some day I will get back to it....

Thanks people for the kind words. Just having some fun and it is fun.

Chris, I am using a PR called Silmar41. There are many ways to do casting. With my way I do use a pressure pot just to make sure there are no air bubbles in the casting. What happens with braided material there is alot of air pocket areas so you need to be careful of those and I feel for putting in the pressure pot for 2 hours is well worth the effort. Thanks everyone for looking.

Gary Chester
03-26-2010, 12:00 PM
Very creative... and great workmanship.

I like the photos... it's chrome... it's supposed to be shiney.:D

If the braid is the same stuff I see on plumbing hose, I'll bet you could sell a lot of these to plumbers and plumbing supply salesmen.

George Morris
03-26-2010, 1:07 PM
Great work love them! Pictures are great too! G

John Tomasello jr
03-26-2010, 7:11 PM
They are truly amazing

David E Keller
03-26-2010, 10:19 PM
Great looking pens. I'd love to get my hands on some of those blanks. I still haven't made the leap into casting, but between your pens and the 'worthless wood' blanks I've been able to get, I'm starting to get a bit more interested.

Thanks for posting.