PDA

View Full Version : Hello from California

Mike McAfee
03-25-2010, 11:40 PM
I recently joined this fine forum and have spent the past week or so reading over the past 130 pages so as to get a feel for the group and also to minimize the need to ask too many previously asked questions!

I live in the Southern San Joaquin Valley in (mostly) sunny California. I've been fascinated on and off with woodturning for the past 35 odd years but never had my own lathe until Christmas 08 when my bride gave me a Jet 10/14.

I've produced a lot of shavings and saw dust and even a few nice boxes and small bowls over the past couple years but the desire to do HF and NE has grown strong! I've made a few attempts, passed "Funnel Making 101" with flying colors and have even succeeded in getting a few rough outs wrapped and put up on the shelf for future finishing! The want, need and desire to get a beefier lathe has me doing all the searches and review reading and I'm headed 2.5 hours South tomorrow to visit my "local" WoodCraft to see what the may have in stock! I'm actually going down for supplies but if the right lathe calls my name it may make it into my truck for transport!

I'm interested in the Nova and the Jet's but due to current space limitations the Nova may win out for the time being. I've read nothing but great reviews here about the Jet 1642's but very little about it's little brother the 1442, why's that?

Well, I've rambled on long enough (for now) but I wanted to introduce myself. I look forward to reading and viewing and possibly even contributing here and there, so until then......

Steve Vaughan
03-25-2010, 11:47 PM
Welcome aboard! I've found this to be a great group of folks too, very helpful. But, be sure to post pictures of your work cause they just might not really believe you ;). Going to Woodcraft? Take your wallet cause there's gonna be lots of stuff calling our very, very loud. And if you in the market for a lathe, these folks have got lots of leads on getting the deals!

Bernie Weishapl
03-25-2010, 11:54 PM
Welcome to Creek. Lots of good people and lots of knowledge.

Steve Schlumpf
03-26-2010, 12:03 AM
Mike - Welcome to the Creek! I wish you luck in finding the perfect lathe for you and what you want to turn!

Just my opinion - but I believe one of the main reasons the 1642 wins out over the 1442 is the variable speed control. Not sure how slow the 1442 can get with the reeves drive but I'm pretty sure it's not as slow as the 1642 - plus - with the EVS system you have a finer control and none of the maintenance issues that come with a reeves drive.

Frank Van Atta
03-26-2010, 12:25 AM
Welcome aboard - you've certainly found the most active and informative woodturning forum around.

John Keeton
03-26-2010, 6:40 AM
Mike, always good to have another turner in the midst!! Welcome to the creek, and I hope the Woodcraft adventure results in a nice, new lathe coming home with you! Pics are required for a lathe gloat!!:D

Charlie Reals
03-26-2010, 7:31 AM
Welcome to the creek Mike. Yep a great bunch of folks here and a wealth of info. I go to WC in Sac. 2 hour drive but a great eatery very close.
Charlie

Rob Cunningham
03-26-2010, 8:22 AM
Welcome Mike. There's a great group of people here always willing to help out. Good luck choosing a lathe and don't forget to post some pics.

David E Keller
03-26-2010, 8:58 AM
Welcome. Good luck with the lathe purchase. If you don't buy one at WC, I'd give Sean at Toolnut a call. In my case, they shipped my PM3520 to the house cheaper than I could have picked it up anywhere.

Looking forward to seeing some of your work.

Richard Madison
03-26-2010, 9:07 AM
Hello from Texas. Welcome to the forum Mike.

gary Zimmel
03-26-2010, 9:11 AM
Welcome to the Creek Mike. It's great to have you aboard.

Roger Chandler
03-26-2010, 9:14 AM
craft suppies has the 3520b Powermatic for $500 off the regular list price now. They sent out an email to customers about it.

Woodcraft carries Jet. The Grizzly G0698 is one to be considered if you have room for it [not much bigger than the Jet 16/42] and has full lineup of features including Variable speed, reversing, 2 hp motor, quill travel of 4 3/8 inches, 18" swing over the bed, and can be moved to turn off the end, like the Jet, and has 47" between centers.

I purchased the Grizz after almost pulling the trigger on the Jet 1642-2 and have been very happy with it. Lots of power, torque and weighs in around 500lbs.

Most all posters on this forum go with the Jet because so many of them have it and recommend it [which is significant in itself] but the Grizzly G0698 is new to the market, and has not had time to develop a reputation as of yet with the turning world, other than other iterations of it from Busy Bee in Canada [Craftex 128] [Laguna 18x47] [Hafco Woodmaster- Australia] which means it has been around since 2006.

I only bring it up because we all need to know what our options are. That being said, you can't hardly go wrong with the Jet, if you decide to go that way. :)

Randy Hoch
03-26-2010, 9:50 AM
Welcome, Mike. I enjoy reading posts like yours as it helps me to relive my own experience and excitement as I entered into this great hobby. The more you dive in, the more there is to enjoy. Don't sweat the lathe purchase - the learning curve and enjoyment will go on unabated regardless of how much you upgrade at this point. I owned a 1442 for 7 months. I loved the lathe and had absolutely no problems with the Reeves drive or anything else. I did upgrade to electronic variable speed and larger capacity, as many will. I have no regrets with any of my lathe purchases. Good luck!

Randy

Dave Haughs
03-26-2010, 9:51 AM
Welcome! :D

steven carter
03-26-2010, 11:13 AM
Mike, hello from the Hoosier State, and welcome to the creek! I had the little brother to the little brother in a Jet 1236 to start out with, and I can tell you that the low end speed of the 1236 could sure make the lathe dance across the floor with an unbalanced bowl blank:eek:. I have the 1642 now and the difference with variable speed is like night and day.

Steve

Gary Chester
03-26-2010, 12:25 PM
Hey Mike,

I had the 1442 and upgraded to the 2hp 1642 and like it better. the 1442 goes down to 450 rpm and the speed control handle seemed to get in the way at higher settings. The 1642 has EVS and reverse.

You might want to call Toolnut BEFORE you go to WC.

And welcome to the Creek!

Mark Norman
03-26-2010, 5:09 PM
I too, live in central California. I work in Merced but live in the Sierras up in mariposa. Sound like your in Fresno or there abouts?

I think I finaly got the commitment from my welder to come up and weld up the ways for my concrete monster. Drop me a line some time and you can come on up and take it for a test drive ;) Maybee have a cold one while yer here.

Welcome to the vortex :D

Mike McAfee
03-27-2010, 12:51 PM
Thanks for all the warm welcomes guys!

I did get to WC yesterday and I did buy the NOVA 1624/44! As it turned out it was all I had the space for (currently) and at that I'm still making adjustments in my shop to accommodate it in the most efficient way! I'll give a bit of a review after I've had it a few days but for now I'll just say I'm quite happy with the purchase!

Mark,

I'm down in Bakersfield but make a monthly work run to Chowchilla and would love to head up to Mariposa for a visit some time!

I'm off to the shop to do some rearranging and space maximization!

More later,

MMc

Charlie Reals
03-27-2010, 1:21 PM
Mike, I also have the nova 1624, love it but will be moving it again lol. I am about 1 1/2 hour north of Mark off 49. I just might have something coming my way in Marks back yard. I am waiting on pics of a supposed giant Oak burl. somewhere in Mariposa county. I would be willing to share but I vote Mark and I haul it to you as there is sposed to be a very good Basque restaurant in Bakersfield.
Charlie

Mike McAfee
03-27-2010, 4:19 PM
I vote Mark and I haul it to you as there is sposed to be a very good Basque restaurant in Bakersfield.
Charlie

C'mon down guys, there are 3 or 4 Basque restaurants withing spittin distance of each other and ALL are great! I can pretty much getcha all the almond wood ya want (IF you decide you like it)!

I just saw they were yankin out a BUNCH of old almond trees near the house so I may get over there this evening to do a little cutting down around the base of the trunk and root ball. Should be some interesting feature to be had!

MMc

Mark Norman
03-30-2010, 6:32 PM
Mike, I also have the nova 1624, love it but will be moving it again lol. I am about 1 1/2 hour north of Mark off 49. I just might have something coming my way in Marks back yard. I am waiting on pics of a supposed giant Oak burl. somewhere in Mariposa county. I would be willing to share but I vote Mark and I haul it to you as there is sposed to be a very good Basque restaurant in Bakersfield.
Charlie

I would be happy to join you Charlie, lets do a road trip to visit Mike.

I want a piece of that burl ;)

Matter of fact I have a few oaks with massive burls at the base, you guys could both come help me harvest it and we can split the bounty. I'll buy the beer:D

Charlie Reals
03-30-2010, 6:49 PM
I would be happy to join you Charlie, lets do a road trip to visit Mike.

I want a piece of that burl ;)

Matter of fact I have a few oaks with massive burls at the base, you guys could both come help me harvest it and we can split the bounty. I'll buy the beer:D

Mark,Those burls must thrive in your neighborhood. I am waiting on a pic of one in Greeley hill, My buddy says it is huge.. I just might take you up on the harvest and road trip. I haven't had good Basque food since I moved back here from Wyoming :D and old Huel Hauser did a show on a basque restaurant in Bakersfield.
Charlie

Mike McAfee
03-30-2010, 8:21 PM
Mark,

I just happen to be in Chowchilla at the moment and have me trusty Husky gased, oiled and sharpened sitting in my truck..... what time ya wanna get rolling in the mornin? :rolleyes:

I was on a ranch call in Bako this morning and the gal I was working for asked if I could cut some branches off "that" tree hanging over into her arena. The offending branch belonged to something of the cedar family and was 7 inches at the base. I ended up with a dozen decent pieces with a beautiful red heart! I was able to swing by the house and seal it before heading North so it'll be tomorrow night or Thurs before I chuck any up!

You and Charlie lemme know when ya want to have this burl harvest and I'll do my best to make it!

MMc

Mark Norman
03-31-2010, 11:12 AM
I even have Friday off :)

This is just one of many in my back yard...

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t116/triangle5/wood/100_2000.jpg

Charlie Reals
03-31-2010, 11:35 AM
now, that has potential. Between two cataract surgeries and doc visits I will be down pretty much of April. I am not enthused lol I would rather harvest burl.
Charlie

Mark Norman
03-31-2010, 11:45 AM
It aint going anywhere till I get help harvesting it. I have others much bigger but this one is the most accessible and I got permission from the wifey to harvest it. Most of the tree will be firewood for next winter.

Oh, the tree is over 28" dbh.

Mike McAfee
03-31-2010, 11:54 PM
Had I seen that pic BEFORE I left Chowchilla this afternoon I woulda headed home by way of Mariposa!;)

Mark Norman
04-01-2010, 12:49 PM
I am going on vacation next week but we could do something the following weekend. I plan on harvesting some firewood this weekend for next winter, I just might drop this tree so we can dig up the burl while the soil is still soft. It gets hard as a rock in the summer. Just pm. me if either of you guys want to come up on the 17th to help me dig. I am dying to see what is inside there.

Mark Norman
04-05-2010, 12:56 AM
http://i417.photobucket.com/albums/pp257/justpeachy_album/roundsofoak.jpg

http://i417.photobucket.com/albums/pp257/justpeachy_album/stumpnburl.jpg

http://i417.photobucket.com/albums/pp257/justpeachy_album/oakstumpandburl.jpg

I picked out a crotch piece to put on the lathe;

http://i417.photobucket.com/albums/pp257/justpeachy_album/oakcrotch.jpg

I put a faceplate on it and trimmed it up with the husky.

http://i417.photobucket.com/albums/pp257/justpeachy_album/oakcrotchwithfaceplate.jpg

Its on the concrete beast now, wrapped in a plastic bag.

Mike McAfee
04-05-2010, 2:14 AM
Looks good Mark, have fun and be safe!

Lookin forward to see'n the end result!

MMc