PDA

View Full Version : 18" Peruvian Walnut question

Steve Swinton
11-09-2004, 8:22 AM
I'm making a changing table for my grandson (expected in Jan.) and was able to buy a piece (12') of 18" wide Peruvian walnut. I would like to use it to make the drawer fronts but assume I should not use it in one solid piece. I'm hoping that I'm wrong. It's nice and flat now but if need be I was thinking of cutting it into three pieces (about 4" wide) and glue them together so I have a 12" drawer front. Any opinions?
Thanks in advance,
Steve

Mark Singer
11-09-2004, 9:18 AM
I made a large table from Peruvian walnut and found it is very stable. I think you will be ok if it is dry. If you reduce the width...it will be more stable and you can glue the pieces back together. Here is the link for the table.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=5510&highlight=peruvian+walnut+table

Jim Becker
11-09-2004, 9:38 AM
There is absolutely no reason to rip up a nice wide board and glue it back together as long as it's dry and stable...and if it's not...get it dry and stable. To me, cutting it up would be tantimount to a mortal sin!

Chris Padilla
11-09-2004, 10:50 AM
Steve,

How is it sawn? If real lucky, it will be quartersawn and hence VERY stable. However, this doesn't necessarily mean that rift or flat sawn will bend all over the place. It largely depends on the wood and the tree and from where in the tree it was cut and also how it was dried. Let the board rest in your shop a bit and check it.

Tom LaRussa
11-09-2004, 10:55 AM
To me, cutting it up would be tantimount to a mortal sin!
Amen, Brother Jim!