PDA

View Full Version : A couple small turnings

Curt Fuller
03-25-2010, 11:25 PM
My daughter sent a pic of a "Tea Box" that was similar to this and wanted to know if I could make one. This first picture is my shot at it. It's a piece of eucalyptus wood, 2 x 7 inches, and it has two lids. One lid fits tight on the inside and one fits a little looser over the outside. Most of the inside is just drilled with forstner bits.

Then this second pic is a wedding goblet with two interlocking captive rings for a friend of my daughters that's getting married. They picked out the wood, gambel oak, which isn't the prettiest wood, but it's what they wanted. It's 6.25" x 2".

Jarrett Sadowsky
03-25-2010, 11:30 PM
I really like the form of the goblet. The two rings are a nice addition.

Am I correct that the tea box is used for loose leaf tea?

Jarrett

Steve Vaughan
03-25-2010, 11:32 PM
Nicely done there! I like those captive rings too. Is there a link to get instructions on making those two rings interlocking? That's got me stumped there.

Curt Fuller
03-25-2010, 11:35 PM
Nicely done there! I like those captive rings too. Is there a link to get instructions on making those two rings interlocking? That's got me stumped there.

Steve, the interlocking rings are just two separate captive rings. One is then carefully broken to interlock them and then glued back together.

Bernie Weishapl
03-25-2010, 11:57 PM
Really nice turnings Curt. I really like that goblet.

Steve Schlumpf
03-26-2010, 12:07 AM
Beautiful work on both turnings Curt!

The little tea box is cool! Simple style but the first I've seen with 2 lids! Really nice looking wood!

Excellent goblet! I am sure the happy couple will cherish it! Really like the detail work on the stem!

Really nice Curt! Thanks for sharing!

Frank Van Atta
03-26-2010, 12:21 AM
Very nice work on both pieces. I especially like the idea of the tight fitting lid on the inside of the tea box. Great work.

John Keeton
03-26-2010, 6:49 AM
Curt, beautiful work on both - and, particularly the goblet. On the tea box, are the inside, and the shoulders of the cuts blackened? It appears that way, and I think this adds a very nice design feature.

Personally, I think the Gambel oak was a nice choice. I have commented before on that wood, and you indicated it was a scrub oak, but it has some very nice character, and suits this goblet very well. Neat idea with the interlocking rings for a wedding goblet - that may be a "standard feature" but it is a first for me.

Steve Vaughan
03-26-2010, 9:32 AM
Curt, thanks for the info on that interlocking ring. My brain was terribly confused :confused: about how that got done. Very cool.

Randy Hoch
03-26-2010, 9:59 AM
Curt,
I would love to do a goblet like this as my youngest daughter is getting married in September. Should be plenty of time right?! Any tips on doing captive rings or in "carefully" breaking one of them in order to interlock them? I've never done captive rings...do you need the special tool or is the tool something that some make themselves? Yours looks great!

Randy

Alan Tolchinsky
03-26-2010, 10:29 AM
Very nice Curt! I like the stem detail on the goblet. It's a nice touch.

Michael E. Thompson
03-26-2010, 10:44 AM
Curt,

I enjoy the goblet very much. My mind has been on stems and finials, some good inspiration.

Very nice.

Mike

Mark Hubl
03-26-2010, 10:51 AM
A couple more excellent pieces! The little tea box is really cute. Love the hidden lid. The goblet is wonderful, a real beauty. The intertwined rings are great, this will be a cherished gift for sure. As always, great work.

steven carter
03-26-2010, 11:32 AM
Top notch job done on both pieces. I like the double lidded box idea, and the goblet is supurb, I'm sure the bride and groom will cherish it for years to come.

Gary Chester
03-26-2010, 11:46 AM
Nice job on both! The box is simple but classy and I really like the stem on the goblet.

On an "oak gloat" I posted a while back Steve mentioned you do a lot of work with oak so I looked thru a bunch of your postings. Lots of good info and inspiration there... Thanks.

Baxter Smith
03-26-2010, 1:16 PM
Both of them are very pretty. When I clicked the pictures before I read the dimensions I thought it was a fancy needle box. Have never heard of a tea box before. Well done.

David E Keller
03-26-2010, 5:19 PM
Nice work on both counts. I like the look of the oak, and the tea box is wonderful.

John Tomasello jr
03-26-2010, 8:08 PM
Curt good job on both, really like the goblet. I enjoy turning goblets usually have some captive rings on mine, haven't tried the interlocking rings yet. Will have to give it a try.

Curt Fuller
03-26-2010, 11:01 PM
Thanks all of you for all the comments!

Curt,
I would love to do a goblet like this as my youngest daughter is getting married in September. Should be plenty of time right?! Any tips on doing captive rings or in "carefully" breaking one of them in order to interlock them? I've never done captive rings...do you need the special tool or is the tool something that some make themselves? Yours looks great!

Randy
Randy, here's a link to a tutorial I posted several years ago. It gives you the general idea of how I do this.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=419272#post419272

The Tea Box is something new for me. The idea came from a picture of something similar that my daughter had torn out of a magazine or catalog. Although I drink a lot of iced tea, I've never made tea from loose tea leaves. So I'm still wondering if the interior should be finished and if so what the best finish would be. This just has danish oil on it now and the outside is buffed.

John, the dark inside is just the result of my poor lighting and equally poor photography skills. But it's really just like the outside.

Thanks again everyone.