PDA

View Full Version : Segmented Pens & a Bowl

Chris Stolicky
03-25-2010, 10:57 PM
Here are a couple of pens I just finished. Each is maple, acrylic, and colored veneer.

The bowl is a piece of rosewood I got from George Guadiane. Here is a link to the thread with his gloat:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=121155

There is no finish on the bowl - just buffed.

I will be entering one of these pens, the 'Cigar' style pen I posted a few weeks ago, and this bowl in the annual NWA Showcase and Totally Turning this weekend (shameless plug). I don't have any confidence in the bowl, but I think the pens have a chance...

David E Keller
03-25-2010, 11:11 PM
Great looking pens ... Especially the sedona. The bowl is very nice as well.

Jarrett Sadowsky
03-25-2010, 11:35 PM
Really nice job on the pens. I like the subtle lines on the second one.

Jarrett

Bernie Weishapl
03-25-2010, 11:58 PM
Those are beauties. I really like the pen.

Steve Schlumpf
03-26-2010, 12:11 AM
Nice work Chris! Really like the mixed media and the use of color!

Good looking bowl - especially with no finish on it!

Best of luck with the show!

Frank Van Atta
03-26-2010, 12:19 AM
Very nice work on the pens and the bowl. The first pen is especially impressive.

John Terefenko
03-26-2010, 1:19 AM
Chris very nicely done on all counts. I started looking at that first pen and thought to myself which is not easy by the way, I have seen that style before and I look down and there is the ad for Lanier pens and that is the style shown. Coinsidence I guess. Now the way you shot the 2 pens with the caps standing is the way a 2 piece pen should be shown I think or else have the cap laying down and the pen part tilted on it. What happens with your other photos even though they are really clear you cut the photo too much. It needs a little background.

The second pen you show, what kit is that and what is the plating on it??? I really like that kit and need to get a few of those. Thanks for showing.

John Keeton
03-26-2010, 6:32 AM
Nice job, Chris! I see the segmented bowls and I am amazed at the precision, but I can't imagine working with pieces this small! And, I wouldn't give up on the bowl, I like it a lot, and particularly the undercut.

Donny Lawson
03-26-2010, 6:36 AM
Those are some nice pens. I think the bowl has some good qualities too.
Donny

Roland Martin
03-26-2010, 6:43 AM
Very nice work Chris. The color of the bowl is great. The amount of work you put into these pens really make a difference, outstanding.

Chris Stolicky
03-26-2010, 8:16 AM
Thanks guys.

John T., my photo technique is always a work in progress. Maybe I should try to crop less. I'll give it a shot. After seeing this 'style' of pen in many places, I figured I would give it a shot myself. The veneer does not work as well as I had hoped, even with being soaked in CA and epoxy. I haven't tried pick guard yet, but I think it might hold up a little better. Oh, if you look at the top of the first pen you can see my light tent in the reflection! :rolleyes:

John K. - I have just simply found a use for those little spring clamps I have laying around!

In my late night posting, I now realized that I was not entirely correct on calling the first pen a Sedona. The roller ball section, cap, and end pieces are from a Sedona kit. The single ring on the coupler is actually from a Baron kit. All of these pieces are chrome. I didn't like the band design on the Sedona kit with the segmented blanks. It was just too distracting. The second pen is actually a Baron kit in black titanium. I just didn't use most of the kit (kind of a shame).

I am actually very proud of this little bowl. I just finished reading Ellsworth's book and made a very crude, simple hollowing tool. I wanted to practice hollowing with a large hole. This is what I came up with. It took a lot of sanding! I just know that in the 'bowl and vessel' category at the Showcase, the competition is very tough. I'm actually hoping to get the chance to meet Mr. Ellsworth tonight, if not this weekend. I guess that's a bit of a gloat. :D

Chris Stolicky
03-26-2010, 8:24 AM
Here is the little crude hollowing tool a slapped together in about 15 minutes, total. Note - handle is way too short and you take a beating with it! It was just the closest small scrap I had nearby. I think its better suited for much smaller hollowing.

I did have to use a couple of other tools on the bowl to smooth out the ridges.

Curt Fuller
03-26-2010, 8:46 AM
Wow, that first pen is really cool. They both are, but I like the first one more. The bowl is nice too.

John Tomasello jr
03-26-2010, 7:07 PM
Nice fit & finish on the pens, beautiful rosewood bowl

Baxter Smith
03-26-2010, 7:42 PM
Nice pen and very pretty bowl!

Chris Stolicky
03-28-2010, 8:49 PM
Thanks for feedback and comments. I have been busy the last two days or so with the Totally Turning Symposium. There is nothing like living and breathing turning for two solid days. :D

So, neither of the two segmented pens in the original post nor the bowl won anything. Last year I managed to get 2nd place for a segmented pen, but just didn't make the cut this year.

A little story, stay with me.....
Now, with the above said, I entered my 'Cigar' style pen into the "pens, finials, spindle and ornaments" turning category.
Link to thread: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=134415

Well, on Friday, I spoke to Kurt Hertzog who said that he looked at my pen and said that is was OOR (out of round). I'm like, 'Gee, thanks buddy...' [see post below] However, I come in on Saturday morning and learn that I won first place in the category! :)

Not only did I wind 1st place, but the pen was selected by Ellsworth and Giles Gilson as one of about 15 pieces they wanted to critique in an instant gallery Saturday night. Man, talk about building up the ego. :cool: Ellsworth liked the pen so much he tried to smoke it!

Pics below:

In all seriousness, these symposiums are really great experiences. I encourage everyone to attend if/whenever they can. I can't wait for Hartford!

James Combs
03-28-2010, 10:29 PM
...In all seriousness, these symposiums are really great experiences. I encourage everyone to attend if/whenever they can. I can't wait for Hartford!

Very nice Chris, I wish I had half your originality.

BTW are the symposiums by invitation, registration or just barge in?:rolleyes:

Chris Stolicky
03-29-2010, 9:23 AM
Thanks for feedback and comments. I have been busy the last two days or so with the Totally Turning Symposium. There is nothing like living and breathing turning for two solid days. :D

So, neither of the two segmented pens in the original post nor the bowl won anything. Last year I managed to get 2nd place for a segmented pen, but just didn't make the cut this year.

A little story, stay with me.....
Now, with the above said, I entered my 'Cigar' style pen into the "pens, finials, spindle and ornaments" turning category.
Link to thread: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=134415

Well, on Friday, I spoke to Kurt Hertzog who said that he looked at my pen and said that is was OOR (out of round). I'm like, 'Gee, thanks buddy...' [see post below] However, I come in on Saturday morning and learn that I won first place in the category! :)

Not only did I wind 1st place, but the pen was selected by Ellsworth and Giles Gilson as one of about 15 pieces they wanted to critique in an instant gallery Saturday night. Man, talk about building up the ego. :cool: Ellsworth liked the pen so much he tried to smoke it!

Pics below:

In all seriousness, these symposiums are really great experiences. I encourage everyone to attend if/whenever they can. I can't wait for Hartford!

After re-reading my elated post above, I realize that what I wrote could easily come across in an unintentional manner. I think we have all learned that things don't always come across in writing as we intend them to; especially what some of us think as humor. My comments about Kurt was very short and can come across inappropriately, and I want to clarify things. Kurt is a great guy, willing to give advice from his years of expertise, and I fully appreciate his efforts in trying to help me. I unfortunately don't get to interact with many other pen makers in person and I enjoy the interaction whenever it occurs. I have said nothing but positive things about Kurt in the past (search on a couple of forums will result in me giving him credit where it is due) and support him in his initiative as an AAW board member. I think he is a good fit for the board and a great representative for us.

One more thing - most of these competitions we enter have an element of art and creativity behind judging. Precision and final quality doesn't necessarily play a role. I know that anything I have made is not perfect (most of us feel this way as we know where all of the flaw are). Take my 'attempt to be funny' comment above as a display of Kurt's expertise to identify something that only I knew about, and his ability to recognize an issue that no one else did; followed by his good-natured personality in wanting to help a relative newbie. There was more to the conversation we had. I have regrets about how I wrote the post above, and hope this clarifies the situation. I would rather leave it and have people understand all of the details of the situation rather than simply going in and deleting it without a trace.

Kurt - I very much appreciate your input.

Very nice Chris, I wish I had half your originality.

BTW are the symposiums by invitation, registration or just barge in?:rolleyes:

James - Symposiums are put on all over the country by wood turning groups. In my limited experience these groups are non-profit and charge a relative fee to anyone who wants to attend in order to cover the cost. I think demonstrators may be invited, but the attendees are whoever wants to go.