PDA

View Full Version : I think I have been burned on e-bay

Mark Buchanan
03-25-2010, 9:53 PM
In my hast to purchace a # 3 LN in a buy it now auction I failed to notice the location of the tote. I think it is a # 5 or # 5 1/4. What do you guys think. Any way it is in the mail.

Thanks
Mark

dan grant
03-25-2010, 10:02 PM
In my hast to purchace a # 3 LN in a buy it now auction I failed to notice the location of the tote. I think it is a # 5 or # 5 1/4. What do you guys think. Any way it is in the mail.

Thanks
Mark
150 is a good price for a ln 3 4 or 5

Ron Brese
03-25-2010, 10:02 PM
Mark,

Was the $150.00 price correct. Even if it is a 5 or 5 1/4 you could very well re-list the plane and actually make money. I know you were looking for a 3 but hey I don't think you hurt yourself.

Ron

Michael Schwartz
03-25-2010, 10:04 PM
Looks like they might have uploaded the wrong picture.

But if it turns out to be a 5-1/4 you got a little bit more plane for your money.

Mark Buchanan
03-25-2010, 10:13 PM
Yes the price is correct. It pop up and I bought it immediately but I don't need a larger plane and I don't sell on ebay so watch the classifieds section here if you are interested. We should know buy next Wednesday.

Mark

Bruce Page
03-25-2010, 10:15 PM
It looks like a #5 to me and you got it for less than half price.
I'd take that deal anytime.

Paul Ryan
03-25-2010, 11:07 PM
I have been watching ebay for a couple of weeks now for LN stuff that was a lucky find. Even if it turns out to be a 5 or 5 1/4 that is still a heck of a deal as others have said. As long as it is in nice shape you should be able to make a few bucks.

I hope the sellers story is true. But LN tools go for much higher than 50% I have a hard time believing someone would intentionally sell it for 50%. I hope it isn't "hot" or something like that!

Tri Hoang
03-26-2010, 12:17 AM
That guy, Karl, used to be a woodworker. So I'd expect him to know the different between a #3 and a #5. Besides, I think the tote is correct. The #5 should have another screw at the bottom front.

Jim Koepke
03-26-2010, 1:20 AM
It is most likely a #5-1/4.

I am not sure how much lower the prices were in 2005 compared to now, but it is possible the seller did not know or care that he could have gotten more for the plane.

It looks like your bid came in within 20 minutes of the auction starting. Me thinks if you waited another 20 minutes someone else would have jumped on it.

Give it a test drive and see if you like it.

If you do not really want it and still want a #3, I will gladly tune up my Stanley/Bailey #3 and even throw in a Hock HC blade and cap iron in trade.

Personally and honestly, I think you can do a whole lot better than that.

jim

Mark Buchanan
03-26-2010, 5:59 AM
Tri good catch on the screw. My guess was a 5 1/4 based on the amount of space behind the tote and it just looks different that a 5 but pictures can be deceiving. Jim thanks for your generous offer but after using my LN 5 1/2 an old stanley just isnt goint to CUT it for me. I just sold about 15 of them.

Mark

Tony Shea
03-26-2010, 7:00 PM
All I can say is that in your haste, you may not have noticed the pic but you sure as hell made out like a bandit. That's def a lot of plane for a great price, if it really is a 5 1/4. But I almost think that the pic might be a wrong pic as the person should know the difference as he's writting down the description, i mean it's written right on the plane. Why not contact him and ask instead of here?

Mark Buchanan
03-26-2010, 8:07 PM
Tony I have been in email contact with the seller. I posted here in the interim. Obviously he did not know what he had. It is the plane in the picture and I am 99.9% sure it is a 5 1/4 because of the missing screw on the bottom of the tote. It definitely is not a #3.

Mark