PDA

View Full Version : New Finial for latest HF

Michael E. Thompson
03-25-2010, 9:31 PM
Based on the advise from everyone who posted in my last thread, I redesigned the lid and finial for this HF. I feel better about this finial but wanted some input. Thanks to everyone for their help.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=146199&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1269480905 (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=146199&d=1269480905) 146294

John Keeton
03-25-2010, 10:06 PM
The other image isn't opening and I get an "invalid link" message. It may be on my end, but if not, you might try another upload.

Michael E. Thompson
03-25-2010, 10:09 PM
Its fixed now John, give it another try.

John Keeton
03-25-2010, 10:10 PM
Mike, it still doesn't work for me.

Michael E. Thompson
03-25-2010, 10:37 PM
OK I think I got it.

Justin Stephen
03-25-2010, 11:49 PM
I do like the 2nd one better.

Steve Schlumpf
03-26-2010, 12:21 AM
Michael - the new finial definitely looks better! I see that you eliminated a lot of the bulk from the lid so that it now sits closer to flush on the body and the new finial is slimmer and taller with some different detail work.

I see this as a big improvement - how do you like it?

Frank Van Atta
03-26-2010, 12:24 AM
Methinks the new one is much better. Great redesign.

John Keeton
03-26-2010, 6:43 AM
Mucho better!! I particularly like the improvement in the lid portion, and the smoother lines of the finial profile.

And, congrats on winning the "upload" battle with the pic!:D

Michael E. Thompson
03-26-2010, 7:52 AM
I see this as a big improvement - how do you like it?

I do like it better. The only thing I am unhappy about is losing a bit of the detail at the top of the finial. I intended it to be more crisp. I think I just need to work on my technique more.

Thanks for all the advise. I definitely see an improvement.

Mike

John Keeton
03-26-2010, 8:15 AM
I do like it better. The only thing I am unhappy about is losing a bit of the detail at the top of the finial. I intended it to be more crisp. I think I just need to work on my technique more.

Thanks for all the advise. I definitely see an improvement.

MikeMike, I don't know how old you are, but my biggest impediment to getting fine detail is my eyesight!!:eek: I use a Thompson 3/8" detail gouge, and a homemade vortex tool, both of which are quite capable of producing much greater detail than my eyes and hands can accomplish.

Next on my "get" list is a lighted magnifier!

Michael E. Thompson
03-26-2010, 8:29 AM
Mike, I don't know how old you are, but my biggest impediment to getting fine detail is my eyesight!!:eek: I use a Thompson 3/8" detail gouge, and a homemade vortex tool, both of which are quite capable of producing much greater detail than my eyes and hands can accomplish.

Next on my "get" list is a lighted magnifier!

John,

I actually use the same gouge and sometimes a skew. I don't have much trouble with my eyes, if I am wearing my contact. Although, I will admit yesterday I did have an eye exam and they dilated me. Everything was very bright and could see fairly well, with a few blurry spots up close. I suppose that could have something to do with it.

A lighted magnifier would be great for old and young eyes alike. Its on my wish list as well.

Mike

Jon McElwain
03-26-2010, 10:49 AM
The new finial definitely fits the piece much better than the first. The curve in the finial enhances the curve of the top of the HF and make the piece flow. The first lid made the top look flat and the piece look blocky, the second makes it look elegant. Nice work.

Good example for all of us of the importance of the little details!!

steven carter
03-26-2010, 11:02 AM
Michael,

Not that I didn't like the first finial, I just like the second one much better, especially the flattening of the lid so it doesn't stand up where it joins the HF. Good Job!

Steve

Baxter Smith
03-26-2010, 1:17 PM
Looks nice. Good improvement!

Roland Martin
03-26-2010, 4:10 PM
I think there is quite a dramatic change. Just what it needed. I hope to be able to do half as good work as you at some point.

John Tomasello jr
03-26-2010, 7:25 PM
I like the new lid & finial better then the first