PDA

View Full Version : Pam's Bench

Lloyd Robins
11-09-2004, 12:37 AM
A couple of weeks ago Pam said that she couldn't find pics of her bench with a planing beam because her computer hard drive had problems. I found these pics on an Australian WW site. Pam, I hope that it is okay to post the site. I found it very interesting, and it answers some questions.

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=8473&page=2

Pam Niedermayer
11-09-2004, 1:53 AM
That's really cool, thanks, Lloyd. I grabbed the photos from that site, will use them here to explain a couple of things. The first photo shows the bench in long shooting board mode. In this case the beam I added is bolted to the bench with 3 carriage bolts. It's a bit difficult to see, so I added an arrow to show where the beam ends (about 4" in) and main bench starts. The circled stop is used on the right end of the beam.

In the second photo you can see it with the planing beam unbolted in two places and raised for planing. It's at way too steep an angle here.

This works as a combo Japanese/western bench; but it was an experiment, the joinery isn't exactly up to snuff. I plan to build a new bench soon, and I think I'll have a much larger planing beam, maybe 6" or 8" square attached to the new, much bigger bench.

Pam

Tom LaRussa
11-09-2004, 7:25 AM
In this case the beam I added is bolted to the bench with 3 carriage bolts.

In the second photo you can see it with the planing beam unbolted in two places and raised for planing. It's at way too steep an angle here.

AH! Now I get it, i.e., the planing beam concept. I can see how that would really work nicely with pulled planes.

BTW Pam, I had no idea you were SO famous.:D

Quote:
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">I wonder if the owner of that bench might be into Japanese planes? </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Dan

You are spot on. The bench belongs to Pam Niedermayer (in USA), whose interest in Japanese tools is legendary.

Regards from Perth

Derekhttp://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=8473&page=2

Pam Niedermayer
11-09-2004, 2:25 PM
Tom, the planing beam is great for push planes, too. If you brace the beam at a very shallow angle, you can push plane with a single stop because gravity is working for you.

Then the problem for this particular setup is whether you can work with either hand dominant. If not, you can tilt from the other direction. This is not an issue with regular planing beams since only the back end is wall bound.

Pam

Derek Cohen
11-14-2004, 12:07 PM
Tom

Of course Pam is famous - more so after I posted the pics downunder!

Hi Pam...Nice to catch up with you here. Amazing timing on this post since I haven't visited SCM for several months.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Pam Niedermayer
11-14-2004, 6:57 PM
Derek, thanks so much for saving the photos from the BP oblivion. I know I can always take more, assuming a cleaned up shop which may be a stretch; but it does take a lot of time.

Pam