PDA

View Full Version : Delta BS Thrust Bearing

John Shaffner
03-25-2010, 7:41 PM
Ok guys, I have a 28-200 14" BS and I need a new thrust bearing. I did some searching and I found a parts supplier that wants $23 for one, exact Delta replacement. Anyone have a better place to get one cheaper. Seems way overpriced for a simple bearing. I would love to change it all over to a Carter setup, but for $160+, just not in my budget. Thanks for any help.
John

glenn bradley
03-25-2010, 8:10 PM
I bought a full set of sealed bearings for my 17" saw for about $12. Let me see if I can find the source. . . . Ah, I think it was here: http://www.accuratebearing.com/ I am away from home or I could confirm but, a search for a bearing supplier by bearing number will get you several sources. This will not help of the bearing is part of an assembly, of course.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-25-2010, 8:48 PM
John,

Remove the old bearing and take it to a local bearing supply house. I even have one here in Lewiston, Idaho that are able to supply good quality bearings at a reasonable price.

John Lanciani
03-25-2010, 8:54 PM
The last time I needed one, I enged up with a tube of 10 of them from a local bearing supply house for less than $12 total. They're a very common size, and it's not worth getting anything but the cheapest ones you can find. Do make sure that you get sealed, not shielded, bearings for longer life.

John

Bruce Wrenn
03-25-2010, 9:49 PM
Based upon a recent rebuild of my Delta 14": Thrust bearings- 6200, Upper wheel bearings- 6202, Lower wheel bearings-6204, all sealed.

John Shaffner
03-25-2010, 9:58 PM
Thanks folks. That's alot better than $23 each. Guess I better get the plastic out and get em in the way, got alot of resawing coming up!

This place rocks!
John

Pete Bradley
03-26-2010, 12:32 PM
If you have a good hardware store in the area, they're probably on the shelf. Quality doesn't matter, they'll be trashed long before they wear out. If not, your local electric motor shop has them on the shelf or can get them.

Neil Brooks
03-26-2010, 12:58 PM
Can somebody enlighten me, here:

I was under the impression that you could use inline skate (a/k/a "Rollerblade") bearings on your BS.

If that's true, then ... it opens up a fairly large array of options, ranging from quite cheap and serviceable to "ABEC-9" and ceramic.

:confused:

george wilson
03-26-2010, 1:04 PM
Sorry to disagree,but you might find, like I did,that sealed bearings won't go round. The seals make too much friction. You need shielded,because the shields don't quite touch the inner race,and keep it from easily revolving.

I mistakenly ordered sealed bearings for a 20" Delta,only to find that they would rather get grooves worn in them than revolve. These were the bearings that bear behind the blades.

Keith Westfall
03-27-2010, 1:06 AM
Any place that handles electrical control/motors etc have them, and cheaper than any manufacture!

John Shaffner
03-27-2010, 7:33 PM
I ended up ordering them through Accurate Bearing, Thanks Glenn! Service is awesome and the price right...$2.76 each...so I got 1/2 dozen...just in case. Thanks for all the help guys.

John

Bruce Wrenn
03-27-2010, 9:11 PM
Sorry to disagree,but you might find, like I did,that sealed bearings won't go round. The seals make too much friction. You need shielded,because the shields don't quite touch the inner race,and keep it from easily revolving.

I mistakenly ordered sealed bearings for a 20" Delta,only to find that they would rather get grooves worn in them than revolve. These were the bearings that bear behind the blades.I've never had that problem. I use sealed to make the bearings last longer. Seals help to keep the fine dust out of the bearings.

glenn bradley
03-27-2010, 11:55 PM
I've never had that problem. I use sealed to make the bearings last longer. Seals help to keep the fine dust out of the bearings.

I also run sealed but, there are soooo many types and sub-types of bearings. Sounds like the wrong bearing for the specific task. I could see this happen easy enough.

John, glad those folks were able to help you out. My larger saw runs 10 bearings so the box of 10 really worked out for me.