PDA

View Full Version : Woodcraft: An ever increasing bad experience......

Brian Fulkerson
03-25-2010, 5:58 PM
Over the years of collecting tools and woodworking supplies, I have ususlly resorted to giving Woodcraft a very good shot. However each and every time I engage the retailer, I find myself more and more dissatisfied. In fact, the local Woodcraft next to me has become terrible.

(1) Staff

The staff, though they know my first name, doesn't give a crap about me regardless of the endless times I have visited them for supplies. Each time I ask for advise, I either get bothersome discust remarks or ignorant answers that I could have as easily answered myself, i.e. looking at the catalogue and reading me specifics about a product.

(2) Cost

Frankly, I am at the point where I will never buy large purchase items from them. And I will NEVER again buy wood from them. A local Hardwood dealer sells for a good 40-50% less. Their markup is a comlpete joke. I would rather order products online to save $$, tax, and the hassle of working with them. Even their sale prices are higher than online retailers.

(3) Inventory

My local Woodcraft must be hurting like crazy. There is never anything on the shelves. I wish I had a nickle for each time I have heard a Woodcraft employee say "we are out of stock and could have it a week from Monday".

I don't mean to vent however this is clearly an example of a franchise waiting to fail. Poor customer service (result of internal business problems), and Inventory turn (Not having the $$ and will to support inventory turn). It makes me sad because there is no other specialty tool store left near me (all the other ones closed due to the economy). As much as it is nice to save money online, there is nothing like walking in a store, see an item, receive good service, and walk out with it.

I hope experiences are different elsewhere in the counrty.

Regards,

Brian

John Coloccia
03-25-2010, 6:01 PM
Woodcraft are locally owned. The two in my are are phenomenal (same owner). I always go there first and they bend over backwards to help me out. There are others that have had poor experiences with their local Woodcrafts as well, but most seem outstanding.

Brian Kincaid
03-25-2010, 6:03 PM
I like the Woodcraft in Dallas, they have some good folks there, but since they no longer carry Lie-Nielsen I doubt I'll have a reason to make the trip.

-Brian

Neil Brooks
03-25-2010, 6:05 PM
In all seriousness, have you written a thoughtful letter to the franchisor??

They SHOULD care about your experiences in their franchisee's location.

They MAY start taking a closer look at the requirements of the Agreement (associate training, inventory levels, etc., etc.). If it's really that far out of line, then they may have options to buy the location(s) back and/or take the stores from the current franchisee and try to find another.

In any case, I'd tell Woodcraft. Can't hurt.

Mark Carlson
03-25-2010, 6:09 PM
My nearest store is about an hour away, so I always order online. If I order on monday I get it on friday. Never had a problem with the few times I had to return an item.

~mark

Bill Pitz
03-25-2010, 6:26 PM
There's a Woodcraft about 60 miles south of me, I visited once when in the area. The salespeople that were in the store during my visit were possibly the most unhelpful people I've ever met, and condescending to boot. Their product knowledge was limited to a few memorized phrases, similar to someone reading info from the package. They made a big deal about how durable some of the machines are, they use them for two hours every third Saturday afternoon. Whoa. Those must be Industrial Duty Machines if you run 'em nearly 2 and a half hours a month.

I will not be spending my dollars with Woodcraft.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-25-2010, 6:37 PM
I have 1 Woodcraft 110 miles away and another 260 miles away. I have had nothing but great service from either.

The closest one is owned by a father, mother and son. When I bought my mortiser there a few months ago, the father and son helped me load it into my car.

The father and mother delivered my PM3520B lathe and helped roll it into my shop.

It's really dependent upon the folks running the store. The staff at the closest one....great.

The store in Boise. I have never been there but I have called them and they were nothing but helpful!

Peter Aeschliman
03-25-2010, 6:55 PM
I bought a Sawstop at the Seattle store a few weeks ago and found the salesman very helpful. He remembered me from my first visit to look a the machine, and they sent me a handwritten thank you letter afterwards.

So yes, it's very much based on who owns the store.

Rob Sack
03-25-2010, 6:57 PM
I remember visiting Boston and going into the Woburn store. On a couple of occasions, over a year apart, I found the store personnel to be be less than helpful, condescending, and rather arrogant. This was several years ago. This past year, on a recent trip, I went in and the staff couldn't have been more friendly and helpful.

It's my understanding that all but three Woodcrafts are now franchises. My local Woodcraft, in Ventura, California is terrific. The staff is extremely friendly, helpful, and knowledgeable. I would suggest that if you are having a problem, contact the owner and see if you can straighten it out. It would seem to me that the best way to resolve an issue such as yours is to bring your concerns to the powers at be in a friendly, non-confrontational manner.

Nick Keane
03-25-2010, 7:12 PM
Brian,
I'm in Santa Rosa, too. Like you, I only purchase small items. I mostly like the selection of books they offer.

BTW, where do you purchase most of your wood? Mt. Storm is the only local hardwood supplier I know of.

-Nick

bob cohen
03-25-2010, 7:32 PM
The store outside kc is very good with respect to customer service. The owner is particular nice and will let you know when he doesn't know. Their prices are on the high side (at least compared to online dealers), but like the other poster said it is nice to be able to see things up close and leave the store with something in hand. I try to limit my visits to their frequent sale days and/or birthday month, when most everything is 10% off.

eugene thomas
03-25-2010, 7:37 PM
i can't say good things about their credit department. i have over 800 credit rating and they turned me down for credit card:confused:. was like wow that never happened before/.

Paul McGaha
03-25-2010, 7:45 PM
Brian,

Sorry to hear of your problems with your local Woodcraft.

I am fortunate to live near (2) very good Woodcraft Stores (Springfield and Leesburg Virginia).

Their staff appear to be experienced woodworkers and they are very helpful and friendly. I remember going in the store around Christmas and seeing the new Unisaw for the first time. The salesman and I were looking it over and I remarked I have one about (5) years old and it is a tool for life. The salesman agreed and told me he had one (20) years old.

It is very useful to me to be able to see the machinery for myself and the stores here stock a fair amount of Powermatic, Jet, and Delta.

I buy what I can from them to help support the store.

PHM

scott vroom
03-25-2010, 7:56 PM
I view Woodcraft the same way as I do a strip mall 7-11 mart: I do the bulk of my grocery shopping at the Safeway to save money, but if it's 10:00 at night and I HAVE to have a quart of milk, 7-11 is there for me....at a big price premium. I can't think of any reason to buy things from my local Woodcraft unless I absolutely have to have them now and can't wait a few days for an internet purchase to be delivered. Not only is Woodcraft in my area very expensive, they also collect 9.25% sales tax on top of it (California). Plus, the sales guys are kinda goofy and I don't think they know what they're talking about half the time.

Many retail brick and mortar business are in dire straits in this economy. I lost my paying job and am pinching pennies wherever possible. I consistently save 10-20% by shopping online. Jeff Bezos got it right years ago.

Mark Maleski
03-25-2010, 8:19 PM
I am fortunate to live near (2) very good Woodcraft Stores (Springfield and Leesburg Virginia)...[snip]....I buy what I can from them to help support the store.

Yep, me too (I'm in Herndon VA, used to be in Ashburn). When I bought a lathe from the Leesburg store a few weeks ago, I called beforehand to ask if they thought they'd be busy by 10 on a Saturday (wanted to get there before the crowd). The reply I got was that it'd been rather slow lately and they were hoping to start seeing more crowds - a different perspective than I had! Made me pause to appreciate how lucky we are to have the local brick-and-mortar. I hope that doesn't change.

Joseph Tarantino
03-25-2010, 8:27 PM
brian...+1 regarding the woodcraft in norwalk CT. the owner thinks he invented wood.

Larry Frank
03-25-2010, 8:37 PM
I just lost my local Woodcraft in NW Indiana. It was a great store but the economy in my area just could not support it. I have nothing but good things to say about the owner and the great service that he provided.

The prices on most of the power tools were competitive and the advice and help was great. If I had a problem with a tool, it was made right. There were some things that were more than I might find online but within reason. If I want a local store and the help that they provide, I am willing to pay a little extra. I'd like to see them stay in business. The choice is always the big box store or the ones like Woodcraft.

I also have experience with a Woodcraft Store in Orlando. It was a very good store with helpful people.

Dave Ray
03-25-2010, 8:44 PM
My Woodcraft Store (Norfolk VA.); is large and recently expanded. It is filled to the rafters with tools and equipment. The men and women who work there go out of their way to answer any and all questions. Very knowledgeble, polite, friendly group of experienced woodworkers. I say "My Store" because I feel comfortable there, I don't work there, just a very satisfied customer.http://sawmillcreek.org/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

Raymond Fries
03-25-2010, 9:03 PM
... and I always get very good service. I do agree that there are some savings opportunities through other sources and I do use those sources when it is to my advantage. I use them when needed.

I agree that maybe you should call the franchiser. It is their best interest for sales at the store level as the store must pay royalties to Woodcraft. As I recall, it is 5% of the gross take.

Sometimes crabby and impolite people just need overwhelmed with kindness and smiles. Sometimes it turns their day aound and then it is a win win for everyone.

Good luck at your store!

Thomas S Stockton
03-25-2010, 9:15 PM
Brian,
The Santa Rosa store is the one I usually visit even though it is about 200 miles from me because a lot of my work goes to Sonoma county. I always felt like the staff had a kinda strange attitude that was based on them being better than me because they worked at Woodcraft. I just go in and try to avoid the employees unless I really can't find what I need and leave a fast as possible. I've had better luck at the stores in Reno or Pleasanton, when I'm in those areas.
Why would you even think about getting lumber there unless it is the weekend and your desperate, Mount Storm is up the road and they have always been receptive to homeowners and hobbiest buying from them and will treat you right no matter how much you buy.
Tom

Jim Rimmer
03-25-2010, 9:31 PM
The Houston store is great. Knowledgeable and helpful staff. It's about an hour drive for me on the tollway (about $15 round trip) so I don't go often. I went on a Sat. for a DC class. When it came time it looked like I was the only one there so I thought they would just cancel. Instead, the guy in the store just smiled and told me I would get a very personal DC class.

Michael Schwartz
03-25-2010, 10:23 PM
Only had good experiences :cool:

I placed a mail order a few months ago with woodcraft, and the product that came was defective. It took a few days to work out return details, but they did ship a replacement overnight with saturday delivery along with a return label.

Woodcraft went above and beyond and probably lost money on the order. If they had asked I would have told them to just send the replacement via UPS ground. I had seen the shipping conformation in my email, but I was shocked to come home on saturday and see a box at the door.

Hopefully what you describe with your local franchise is something isolated to the ownership of that store.

Ray Bell
03-25-2010, 10:25 PM
I just returned from a trip to Arizona, and visited a Woodcraft in either Mesa, or Tempe ( I never know which town I'm in down there. They all run together). As I entered the store I told them I was from out of state, and wouldn't be buying anything, but just wanted to look at a Saw Stop. They were very accommodating, and pleasant. Even though they knew I wasn't going to buy it, they did a great job of showing me the saw, and answering all the questions. I even went back a couple of days later with more questions, They recognized me, and still took the time to answer everything. If I lived in that area I would shop there.

Cary Falk
03-25-2010, 11:03 PM
The one here in town(Tigard, OR) is great. They don't know me by name but they are always helpful and pleasant. The extent of my questions are "Where can I find ____?" I wouldn't call them cheap but when I am shopping there I am usually looking for something I can't find anywhere else. Sometimes I call ahead to see if they have what I am looking for in stock since it is about a 30 minute drive.

Matt Meiser
03-25-2010, 11:11 PM
We've got a couple great ones and a terrible one here. I know people who drive past the terrible one on their way to get to one of the good ones.

Ron Carlton
03-25-2010, 11:25 PM
The one in Addison, TX has treated me well. No complaints.:)

Dave Schreib
03-25-2010, 11:31 PM
I was in Rockville Md for work and made a point to visit the store there because I dont have one here in Syracuse. There were 3 employees in the place (I suspect one was the owner) and I was the only customer. Small store. I browsed up and down the isles for about 20 minutes. Not one of them said 'hi', 'can I help you' 'nice day' or anything like that. The only time they acknowledged me was when one employee was on the phone and said something like "I cant, we have a customer here now." My impression was that I was holding up her lunch plans or something.

None of that is exactly rude, but it's not warm either. They missed an opportunity for a sale but more importantly missed the opportunity to build a relationship with a customer. In this economy, that doesnt seem very wise.

Steven DeMars
03-25-2010, 11:35 PM
Here is my 2 cents . . .

I live in Louisiana . . . we have zero Woodcraft Stores here . . . I can either go to Texas or Alabama . . Both are a very long drive. Over the last 10 years I have contacted WOODCRAFT Head Corp. Office at least 2 or 3 times a year hoping to hear a Woodcraft would be coming soon. Same story for Rockler . . . still no one is coming . . .

I kind of got into "heated discussion" with store locater for Woodcraft & he educated me.

The problem is quite simple, the INTERNET. . .

First:
The average customer is usually more knowledgeable than the typical retail employee unless you catch a retired guy who has been woodworking for years.

Second:
Price - a local retailer can not compete with a mail order house. First of all, even though it is not supposed to work that way, mail order house usually charges no sale tax. Unless they have a bricks & mortar store in your state.

Third:
Availability - a bricks and mortar store can not afford to keep the same selection as a mail order house. The annual inventory tax would quickly eat away his profits if he attempted to mirror the catalog offering.

Fourth:
Then to make matters worse some of the most profitable items are offered by Home Depot, Lowe's, etc . . . @ prices lower than he can buy them. . .

Basically for a Woodcraft type of store the demographics have to be perfect. The amount and type of competition has to be just right . .

After a hour+ on the phone with this guy I realized I there never will be a Woodcraft here in my lifetime. And if some entrepreneur decides to try it, he probably won't make 5 years . . .

Can you tell I'm ticked that we don't have a Woodcraft here . . .

Aaron Wingert
03-25-2010, 11:36 PM
Sorry to hear that the OP's local store isn't on par with most of their stores. Not sure that I agree with a general public airing of grievances, but whatever, its a free country.

As for their wood prices, nobody's forcing you to buy there. I don't buy wood at Woodcraft due to the prices, but I'm fortunate to have a handful of reliable sources with reasonable prices. Ever price hardwoods at Lowes or Home Depot? Ever ask someone that works there for help and not feel all that helped when the conversation ended? Ever walk by one of their employees when you can't find what you need and not even get a "can I help you"? If so, I presume you've decided to disparage them elsewhere online as well.

The Kansas City Woodcraft is a first class operation in my opinion. I don't buy everything there...I do some online ordering. But I spend quite a bit of money in there every year (who am I kidding....Every week it seems). They know me by name and are incredibly friendly. I've received some good help in there when I've needed it.

Quick story...Ordered a JDS 750ER air cleaner from them. When it came in I brought it home from the store, unpacked it, hung it, plugged it in, hit start, and the unit didn't come on. The squirrel cage fan was out of round and would not revolve in its housing without grinding metal on metal...Couldn't operate on its own power. I called Chris at Woodcraft and told him about the problem. He said he'd set a new unit aside for me. Took it down, packed it up, took it back. When I walked into the store the replacement was sitting at the front of the store waiting for me. I was prepared to unpack the opened unit and demonstrate the problem to them. Chris said "Aaron, if you say it is broken, it is broken and I don't need you to prove it to me." That is ROCK SOLID customer service in my book. So I don't worry so much when their prices are 3 or 4 percent higher than some of the online retailers.

fRED mCnEILL
03-25-2010, 11:42 PM
"As much as it is nice to save money online, there is nothing like walking in a store, see an item, receive good service, and walk out with it."

They obviously don't care about you as a customer so why care about them. Use them to YOUR advantage. Shopping for a tool, then use there store to look,demo, evaluate the tool then purchase it online.

But you better hurry, sounds like they won't be around long.

Tri Hoang
03-25-2010, 11:53 PM
I try to support my local wc whenever I can. However, inventory is definitely an issue. I can't blame them. Business seems extremely slow there. I just wish they cary more quality hand tools from LV/LN.

I also have woodworker supply next door (1 mile) that I rarely visit because of similar issues the OP listed. Their hand tools selection is even worst. They like to deal more with commercial customers.

Joe Wiliams
03-26-2010, 12:00 AM
The one here in town(Tigard, OR) is great. They don't know me by name but they are always helpful and pleasant. The extent of my questions are "Where can I find ____?" I wouldn't call them cheap but when I am shopping there I am usually looking for something I can't find anywhere else. Sometimes I call ahead to see if they have what I am looking for in stock since it is about a 30 minute drive.
I go to that one too, well two or three times so far. Similar experience for me too.:)

Colin Giersberg
03-26-2010, 12:00 AM
The store in Franklin, TN. is also a great one. I have never had any issues when I have gone there. There is one in Birmingham, AL. that I have been to twice, but I absolutely despise the drive to get to it, The taxes are cheaper, but the difference in taxes is probably offset by the distance that each store is from me, depending on the overall cost of the product that I am getting. The staff at Franklin seem very knowledgeable, courteous, and will go out of there way to help with any questions you may have, as well as help you carry out your purchase.

Regards, Colin

Ken Fitzgerald
03-26-2010, 12:04 AM
The closest Woodcraft I referred to earlier is in Spokane. It's 110 miles away. They told me they would give me a significant discount if I drove all the way there to shop. They give that discount to me every time. I have sent several folks there from Lewiston and they gave those folks the same discount. I bought my PM3520B there and recently bought a General International mortiser there. I have bought many small items there by just calling them. They dropped it into the mail to me or in one case when I needed something to meet a deadline, I made arrangements to have a courrier service pick it up and deliver it to me the same day.

As someone who deals in customer service everyday and have for 34 years, getting good service is a combination of two things:

1) the people you are dealing with....

2) your attitude....

If you are dealing with a jerk...it really doesn't matter what your atttude is

If you are dealing with someone who cares...you can still offend them by you being a jerk.......

In my case...this particular Woodcraft is owned by a nice family who wants to provide good service and I've never been disappointed.

John Coloccia
03-26-2010, 12:07 AM
brian...+1 regarding the woodcraft in norwalk CT. the owner thinks he invented wood.

If you go a little further north, the one in Manchester,CT is the one I usually go to, and they're fantastic. It's also the location of the Connecticut Valley School of Woodworking. They also have events all the time...pen turning, things like that, and people actually show up. The one in Springfield, MA is the same owner.

Rick Neal
03-26-2010, 12:49 AM
Brian, sorry to hear about your bad experience at Santa Rosa's Woodcraft. I haven't shop their much lately due to my shop is pretty outfitted and the hold woodriver plane thing.
I will still shop there but only for sale items or quick needs, since Santa Rosa tool closed down. I have to admit that I did get tired of the we will have to order, and either PAID to have it ship or another trip to SR for St. Helena for pick up. I feel if not stocking a stock item they should ship it to me.
I used to shop there on weekends and found Debra very helpful.
On wood - Mount Storm or Mac Beath.
Good luck
Rick

Dave Mendoza
03-26-2010, 2:26 AM
Yep, me too (I'm in Herndon VA, used to be in Ashburn). When I bought a lathe from the Leesburg store a few weeks ago, I called beforehand to ask if they thought they'd be busy by 10 on a Saturday (wanted to get there before the crowd). The reply I got was that it'd been rather slow lately and they were hoping to start seeing more crowds - a different perspective than I had! Made me pause to appreciate how lucky we are to have the local brick-and-mortar. I hope that doesn't change.
My experience at both stores has been horrible. I now shop at Fries, Beall, & Sharp. Their staff is knowledgeable and very friendly.

Allan Froehlich
03-26-2010, 2:59 AM
The Milwaukee area Woodcraft is nice, but I agree that many of the employees turn to the catalog for their information on some products. I also agree that many of their prices are sky high.

I have spent a fair amount of time building up my knowledge base of the hobby. I think I am getting to the point where I would ask if I could work there.

Philip Duffy
03-26-2010, 5:09 AM
In contrast to your experience, the Woodcraft store in Richmond, VA is my favorite place. The owner cares- - really cares about the clients, teaches classes, teaches at our turning club meetings, has great raport with everyone and is highly respected. Frankly, I am not easily impressed by most stores and people but Ray runs a great shop and store! Philip

Ed Bath
03-26-2010, 8:16 AM
In contrast to your experience, the Woodcraft store in Richmond, VA is my favorite place. The owner cares- - really cares about the clients, teaches classes, teaches at our turning club meetings, has great raport with everyone and is highly respected. Frankly, I am not easily impressed by most stores and people but Ray runs a great shop and store! Philip

My experiences with the Richmond, VA Woodcraft have not been as good as Phillip's. Although the owner is helpful and knowledgeable, I can't say the same for the rest of the staff. So now I take all of my questions straight to the owner.

The lack of inventory is also a concern. The last four parts that I tried to purchase were out of stock: dovetail template; Festool saw guide; specialty router bit; clock parts. I was able to get the first two items at the Pleasant's Hardware in downtown Richmond. The other two I ordered online.

It may be that the customer base for the Richmond Woodcraft is mainly turners and carvers.

Rich Noterman
03-26-2010, 9:41 AM
The store in Northen Colorado NEVER has any of the sale items on the self. I am about 50 miles away, so I dont visit often. But if there is something in there monthly sale flyer I want, the item will not be in unless i'm there on the 1st day and 1st thing in the morning of the sale. I stay at home and oder on line.

James White
03-26-2010, 9:51 AM
If you go a little further north, the one in Manchester,CT is the one I usually go to, and they're fantastic. It's also the location of the Connecticut Valley School of Woodworking. They also have events all the time...pen turning, things like that, and people actually show up. The one in Springfield, MA is the same owner.

I have met the owner of these two stores. A very nice guy. From what I can gather. Keeping the stores profitable is always a challenge. Don't forget that Woodcraft gets a cut of every sale. I think it is 10%.

Now keep the shelves stocked and competent employees working for you. Competent people tend not to want to work for peanuts.

I also believe that the stores have to buy there lumber locally. Therefore no volume discounts.

All that said it is hard for me to buy any major purchases from them. Buying stuff on sale is like buying at regular prices elsewhere. So I tend to shop them as a convenience store.

James

Rob Damon
03-26-2010, 10:04 AM
My Woodcraft Store (Norfolk VA.); is large and recently expanded. It is filled to the rafters with tools and equipment. The men and women who work there go out of their way to answer any and all questions. Very knowledgeble, polite, friendly group of experienced woodworkers. I say "My Store" because I feel comfortable there, I don't work there, just a very satisfied customer.http://sawmillcreek.org/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

I agree with Dave about the Norfolk WC in particular. They have always been super helpful. If fact when I was looking to buy one large tool and was trying to figure how I was going to get it off my trailer once I got it home. They had just purchased a powered forklift, so Bill offered to loan me their "manual" forklift to take home and get the tool off my trailer.

I am sure my experience is similar to most, but I am also sure that there are a few "less than adequate" WC stores around the country, that Brian has experienced.

Rob

Greg Hines, MD
03-26-2010, 10:34 AM
The store in Franklin, TN. is also a great one. I have never had any issues when I have gone there. There is one in Birmingham, AL. that I have been to twice, but I absolutely despise the drive to get to it, The taxes are cheaper, but the difference in taxes is probably offset by the distance that each store is from me, depending on the overall cost of the product that I am getting. The staff at Franklin seem very knowledgeable, courteous, and will go out of there way to help with any questions you may have, as well as help you carry out your purchase.

Regards, Colin

I go to the Franklin Woodcraft too, and have never had an particular problem with the staff or inventory. I have never bought wood there, but they do have a nice piece of quilted maple for about a grand that while nice, I have no need for.

Doc

Sean Nagle
03-26-2010, 11:02 AM
The store in Northen Colorado NEVER has any of the sale items on the self. I am about 50 miles away, so I dont visit often. But if there is something in there monthly sale flyer I want, the item will not be in unless i'm there on the 1st day and 1st thing in the morning of the sale. I stay at home and oder on line.

You are absolutely correct. Every time I've inquired about a sale item at this store it's back-ordered.

I never expect any woodworking retail store personnel to be knowledgeable. A previous poster is correct in that their customers know far more than the people Woodcraft can hire. What I find frustrating at the NoCO store is that the sales people never seem to know how to efficiently operate the point-of-sale computer. Checking on stock, the ETA on back-ordered items or even paying for something in the store seems to take forever.

Philip Johnson
03-26-2010, 11:05 AM
I can't fault my local store they have been good and I have bought a PM shaper when on sale and some festools among other items. The thing I dislike is they only want to sell their wood river tools...no more quality tools from L/N. I hate to see them going to all this wood river chinese stuff and not letting me have a choice to buy quality tools

Phil

Mike Wilkins
03-26-2010, 11:09 AM
The individual stores are purchased franchises; therefore, the service at one Woodcraft does not reflect the entire company. I have had nothing but great service from the Raleigh, NC store, even though it is 1 1/2 hours from my home. Visit each time I am in the area.

Mike Henderson
03-26-2010, 11:23 AM
I'll repeat my comment on my local Woodcraft at Stanton, CA - Good, knowledgeable people and good stocking. Never a problem. They bend over backward to help. Highly recommended.

Mike

Bill Wiggins
03-26-2010, 11:25 AM
I sometimes go to the Woodcraft in West Springfield, MA. The staff is extremely knowledgable. Although they do tend to pay more attention to the people that are frequent shoppers, or spend lots of money. Since I usually just buy small, inexpensive items, and I'm not as knowlegable as they are, they sometimes (but rarely) can be concescending.

But I will still shop there. The bad incidents are rare and they are very, very knowledgable.

Jesse Espe
03-26-2010, 11:35 AM
My Woodcraft Store (Norfolk VA.); is large and recently expanded. It is filled to the rafters with tools and equipment. The men and women who work there go out of their way to answer any and all questions. Very knowledgeble, polite, friendly group of experienced woodworkers. I say "My Store" because I feel comfortable there, I don't work there, just a very satisfied customer.

I agree with Dave about the Norfolk WC in particular. They have always been super helpful....I am sure my experience is similar to most, but I am also sure that there are a few "less than adequate" WC stores around the country, that Brian has experienced.

I have similar sentiments about the Norfolk store. Though I live a few hours away now, I make it a point to swing by any time I'm back in the area. Just haven't had the same experience with my local store (Springfield).

In general, you don't go to Woodcraft for a bargain - the "7-11" model is valid. If you don't know anything about woodworking, taking some classes to learn fundamentals at Woodcraft helps quite a bit.

Mike Cutler
03-26-2010, 11:50 AM

John

I live 1/2 way between the Manchester store, and the Warwick store. Both are nice.
I usually go to Warwick just to avoid Hartford Traffic.
I know that wood is more expensive purchased in a Woodcraft, but some of the wood I've purchased from Manchester, and Warwick. I've never seen before. Movinqui, and Curly Peruvian Walnut. ( They still look nice in my garage.;))

Bob Borzelleri
03-26-2010, 12:06 PM
After more than a decade of purchases at my "local" Woodcraft store, I pulled the plug on the relationship a couple of weeks ago.

Several thousand dollars, with the most recent being my Nova 1642-44 lathe, have passed from my hands to Woodcraft's since I bought my first jointer there. That was back when we lived within 15 minutes from the store.

Since moving to well over an hour away, (on a good traffic day), I had been spreading my purchases among closer stores or internet shops. But, when I decided to dive into turning, I went back to Woodcraft. The fellow I talked to about turning used to work in the agency I managed. He was helpful and the lathe sale as well as a few thousand dollars of "other necessary items" over the next couple of months went well.

After having problems with one of my Super Nova2 chucks wobbling, and getting nowhere with the store, I called Tim at Teknatool who told me that the WoodRiver insert that Woodcraft had sold me with the lathe and the chuck was not compatible because the WR insert didn't seat against the inner face on the chuck, hence wobble.

I called WC to mention what Teknatool had told me about the insert and was told that I should return the insert and so I packed it up and drove on over to do so.

When I walked in the store, everybody was busy doing things that didn't relate to customers as I was the only person in the store. The manager looked preoccupied, but he did ask me what I needed. I told him the story about the insert and how it shouldn't be sold with the SN2 chuck and he could barely tolerate the conversation. He said, "if it doesn't work, we will take it back".

I said that I was also attempting to point out that selling the WR insert with the SN2 was a problem that should be communicated to sales folks in the store (he isn't as much a woodworker as a woodworking store manager), and that seemed to fall on deaf ears.

The return and purchase of the right insert went reasonably OK other than the sales guy who I had never seen before continually asking me where the original bag for the WC insert was.

As I was driving home, I remembered that, of the of the 2 Hunter tools that I had bought from the store 10 days earlier, one had not been in stock and the manager had told me that it would be in on Monday (which happened to be that same day). So I called the store and asked if it had come in and was told, ""yes, but you can't get it until Tuesday".

When I told the WC guy what I had been told about the tool scheduled to be there on Monday, he replied, "well, he should have added that we need a day to unpack everything".

I decided not to mention that perhaps the 5 staff in the store when I was there 15 minutes earlier could find the time to unpack items that have been ordered and paid for, but I did mention that the fellow who told me that my tool would be in on Monday was the manager of the store and that he didn't say, "it will be here on Monday, but you can't have it until Tuesday".

I also didn't mention that I was in the middle of a 75 mile round trip to swap out the insert that I was told would work for the one that Teknatool points out is the only insert that should be used with the SN2 and now I'm being told that I have to make another 75 mile round trip tomorrow.

I saved that for the manager who came on next. He had the audacity to tell me that he always tells customers that items will come in on a given day, but that they will be available on the following day. I told him that, had he told me that, we wouldn't be having this conversation. I even went back to my shopping buddy who ordered an ungodly expensive Festool table extension at the same time that I had been told that the Hunter tool would be in on Monday and he confirmed that we had both been told the same thing by the same guy, (the manager).

Long story short, the combination of staff acting like dealing with a customer is an intrusion into their day, the store manager not being interested that his staff were selling the wrong insert for the SN2 chuck, being made to think that I was in the wrong for asking to pick up my paid for tool on the day I was told it would be there, and the big lie, "I always tell customers..." was enough for me to decide to spend the next several thousand dollars for my woodworking hobby elsewhere. My buddy picked up my imprisoned Hunter tool the next day (he lives close by WC).

When I was much younger, I raced motorcycles and later bicycles. During each of these periods, I also worked in shops, both as a mechanic and in sales. One thing that always stood out to me was the significant distinction between people who worked in shops out of love for the activity and willingness to share that enthusiasm with customers and those who wanted to be in the shop in order to feed their own "Jones". Unfortunately, my local Woodcraft has become populated by an overabundance of the latter.

I'm moving on.

John Coloccia
03-26-2010, 12:13 PM
Just for contrast to show how different the different stores are, the staff at my local store have done things for me like digging through a huge shipment to find the one item that I wanted (that I didn't even special order, but that they knew would be in that shipment) and giving me pieces off their own SawStop while waiting for SS to ship me replacements. Lots of other little things too all the time.

John Coloccia
03-26-2010, 12:14 PM
John

I live 1/2 way between the Manchester store, and the Warwick store. Both are nice.
I usually go to Warwick just to avoid Hartford Traffic.
I know that wood is more expensive purchased in a Woodcraft, but some of the wood I've purchased from Manchester, and Warwick. I've never seen before. Movinqui, and Curly Peruvian Walnut. ( They still look nice in my garage.;))

I hardly ever buy lumber there, but I do sometimes buy some of the smaller bits of wood they have. They have a nice selection of exotic woods in just the right sizes for what I need, and I can use them to make veneers or inlays or things like that. Their lumber is a bit expensive, though, especially considering all the great lumber suppliers in our area.

Jerome Hanby
03-26-2010, 12:44 PM
(1) Staff

Most of them know me by name. I have great discussions with several of them on a regular basis. Not every one of them know everything I need to ask about, but they are very familiar with each others areas of expertise and hand me off quickly and smoothly. For the meager amount of my woodworking budget, they spend a great deal of time helping me.

(2) Cost

Their prices on lumber are very high, but it doesn't seem to hurt their feeling that I buy lumber elsewhere. I have always felt that their lumber was to fill that need for just a little more to finish some project. Their other products I can't really compare to anything other than Internet sellers, no one else in my area sells their kind of stock. But their prices match up pretty well to the web prices i see for Rockwell, Peachtree, and Highland

(3) Inventory

My Woodcraft almost always what I'm after. The shelves are full. And they are expanding into a new, bigger facility with more floor space for shop equipment.

Greg Portland
03-26-2010, 1:01 PM
The one here in town(Tigard, OR) is great. Agreed. The competition in the Portland area is strong with Woodcraft, Woodcrafters and Rockler within 10-15 minutes of each other. I have had excellent experiences in all three stores and try to spread my purchases around. Most of my purchases in the past 2+ years have been price fixed (Festool, etc.) so it makes supporting the local stores very easy. Consumables like screws & wood are purchased elsewhere (2x+ price difference).

Greg Portland
03-26-2010, 1:07 PM
One other comment:

For those of you with a bad Woodcraft, you should contact the -owner- of the store (can be different than the manager). Our local store has the owner's contact info posted @ the sales counter. If that doesn't work, I would complain to Woodcraft corporate. They are definitely concerned about how their franchises are being perceived!

george wilson
03-26-2010, 1:17 PM
I use the Richmond store also. It has changed hands about 3 times since it opened,

The current owner is always friendly and helpful. I usually don't need to ask questions of the staff,but when I have,they have been helpful.

Ray Bell
03-26-2010, 3:17 PM
Like Ken, the closest WC to me is in Spokane. It is about 2 1/2 hours away, and I have only been there once. This was right after receiving my new lathe, and I had a lot of questions (still do). They were very helpful, even as far as taking me back to the shop area and drawing things out on a black board. I just wish it was closer. Or maybe not. I seem to be a impulsive buyer, and I can see myself being in there daily if it was local.

Bob Borzelleri
03-26-2010, 7:27 PM
One other comment:

For those of you with a bad Woodcraft, you should contact the -owner- of the store (can be different than the manager). Our local store has the owner's contact info posted @ the sales counter. If that doesn't work, I would complain to Woodcraft corporate. They are definitely concerned about how their franchises are being perceived!

Greg...

In my view, it takes a sustained effort to make a store "a bad store". For stores where the staff and management come across as bothered or interrupted when faced with a customer, I have no interest or investment in trying to change the culture. There are simply too many other options for spending money on woodworking tools and supplies.

Customers should not have to operate as QA/QC monitors. If the owner of the Woodcraft store knows how his staff operate and isn't willing to intervene, then I'm not going to waste my time expressing my displeasure. If he doesn't know (at least in the case I'm referring to ), then he is too far removed to have an impact, in my view.

Sometimes a posting here of a bad experience is simply that; letting people know up front as opposed to a call to arms.

John Sanford
03-26-2010, 7:30 PM
Woodcraft? What's a "Woodcraft"?

Two Million+ people here, and we have one (excellent) WW retailer with 2 stores. They are oriented more towards the commercial cabinet shop than the home WW, so they're hurting, especially since our construction market has been totally devastated.

My experiences in the Woodcraft in Albuquerque a few years back when I wintered in that fine city were universally positive. I much preferred the Woodcraft over Woodworker's Supply.

Mike Minto
03-26-2010, 7:59 PM
i, too, only have good things to say about my local WC - although there is one guy who sometimes patronizes me, on the whole i like shopping there.

AL Ursich
03-26-2010, 8:09 PM
When I walk in to a woodcraft store I talk to myself.... O'... I can get this at the Home Depot for less.... This too.... Lumber.... I can get this at the local mill for a lot less..... I am sure to mention to the other customers in the store that the item they are holding is cheaper at Home Depot.....

The guys that work there are always so happy to see me come in knowing my SARCASIM about the prices and empty shelves will just make there day....

I am the greatest customer...

------------------------------------------------------------------------

In this time of rising Store Rent, Store Electricity, Insurance, and the many other issues with running a store front.... Along with always hearing from customers... I can get this tool "Online" for this much.... Can you match or beat that price?

With a local store you are paying for "Convenience and Service" And YES you will pay more most of the time. Many of us including Myself will buy most of my tools online.....

Question for the first poster? How many tools have you bought from that store? The more tools you buy, the HAPPIER they will be to see you.... Your going a very very long way to put that store down only because you got your feelings hurt.

Just my opinion...

John Coloccia
03-26-2010, 8:44 PM
Funny. Home depot in my area carries practically nothing my local Woodcraft carries, save for maybe a little overlap in their hardware. I'm actually having trouble thinking of anything at the moment, actually, save for maybe some clamps.

Paul Incognito
03-26-2010, 9:22 PM
Funny. Home depot in my area carries practically nothing my local Woodcraft carries, save for maybe a little overlap in their hardware. I'm actually having trouble thinking of anything at the moment, actually, save for maybe some clamps.

This is my experience as well.

Shopping at the local Delaware Woodcraft has always been a positive experience for me. Even when a problem has been my fault they've always been more than willing to help me solve it. And I've compared their prices to online retailers. For me, when you add shipping costs, Woodcraft is generally the same or cheaper.
I'm sorry to hear about some folk's negative experiences, but the New Castle De. store is top notch.
PI

michael case
03-27-2010, 12:56 AM
Does anyone out there miss Woodworkers Warehouse? I do. They were all over the place. There was one three minutes from my house. Now I have haul my butt all the way to Rockler - 15 mins away. Sometimes I have to really travel and go to Woodcraft a whole 1/2 hour away. Reading these post has been enlightening. Hearing from people who have to travel 120 miles to get to a Woodcraft store makes me appreciate what I have. For me, living near Boston it would be like shopping at the Woodcraft out by Albany. I guess I should count my blessings. Anyway Brian, the Woodcraft store here is pretty nice and I guess I'm lucky its so close by. Its a shame they have such a poor attitude at your Woodcraft. If you think they are not treating you right vote with your wallet. There's always Amazon.com.

Van Huskey
03-27-2010, 1:36 AM
In my travels I have been in 30+ Woodcrafts and they are a mixed bag, some are GREAT and some are very poor. Rockler on the other hand is pretty standard most all of them are solidly in the middle.

John Coloccia
03-27-2010, 7:42 AM
Does anyone out there miss Woodworkers Warehouse? I do. They were all over the place. There was one three minutes from my house. Now I have haul my butt all the way to Rockler - 15 mins away. Sometimes I have to really travel and go to Woodcraft a whole 1/2 hour away. Reading these post has been enlightening. Hearing from people who have to travel 120 miles to get to a Woodcraft store makes me appreciate what I have. For me, living near Boston it would be like shopping at the Woodcraft out by Albany. I guess I should count my blessings. Anyway Brian, the Woodcraft store here is pretty nice and I guess I'm lucky its so close by. Its a shame they have such a poor attitude at your Woodcraft. If you think they are not treating you right vote with your wallet. There's always Amazon.com.

I always liked Woodworkers Warehouse. Their service was always top notch, and they had a nice collection of power tools.

Phil Thien
03-27-2010, 8:03 AM
Another positive vote for the Milwaukee store. It is owned by a former engineer (I think chief engineer) for Milwaukee Tool. He has his wife and daughter working there, too.

They've always been very nice and eager to help.

They do a very good job keeping the place stocked. I know how difficult it is (not just the cost, but the amount of work involved).

I'm going there this afternoon to pick up an item or two. I only wish they were more substantial items on which they'd make more than a buck or two.

The economy is though, though, and I imagine many small businesses have their share of difficulties. So when I go into small mom and pop shops and I see big gaping holes in their stock (and when they seem less concerned with my problems), I don't assume it is in their nature. Sometimes minds can be so preoccupied with keeping the boat afloat that managers forget that it all starts with the customer.

William Duffer
03-27-2010, 7:34 PM
I am going to the one in Dallas next weekend, been to Phoenix and Tucson, haven't had a problem yet. But, I don't expect much from retailers so my opinion might be flawed. True, true about the economy times are rough for most.

Karl Brogger
03-27-2010, 7:47 PM
They are oriented more towards the commercial cabinet shop than the home WW, so they're hurting, especially since our construction market has been totally devastated.

Woodcraft is orientated towards the commercial shop? :confused:

Terry Hatfield
03-27-2010, 8:10 PM
I only wish I had a Woodcraft or a Rockler or a whatever. They could treat me bad and I wouldn't care. All we have here is Lowes and Home Depot.

t

Van Huskey
03-27-2010, 8:16 PM
Woodcraft is orientated towards the commercial shop? :confused:

You misread his post, he does not have a WC the WWing stores they have are commercial shop oriented.

Karl Brogger
03-27-2010, 8:21 PM
You misread his post, he does not have a WC the WWing stores they have are commercial shop oriented.

That's kinda what I thought.

Dan Karachio
03-27-2010, 8:33 PM
There are two Woodcrafts near me and going there is a treat. Not because of the service or knowledge, but because of the stuff. It is a lot of fun to see all the things in person that you read about in magazines or online. I have purchased a good 8-10k from these two stores over the past year and a half, but while the staff are okay, the owner (owns both stores) is a super pushy semi slick talking used car salesman type and it is a real turn off. Some of the sales people are pretty good while others just sort of man the store. All in all, I rarely feel treated like someone who has spent close to ten grand and that disappoints me. It's a two edged sword. I don't want to reward less than stellar customer service, but I don't want them to fail because it is nice to have a place where you can see all those tools.

Brian Fulkerson
04-01-2010, 12:25 PM
First of all, I think it is shameful for a business to devalue my business in the store simply because of what I have purchased in the past from them. I have spent WAY more on misc. supplies (Glue, finishes, sand paper, measuring/marking, router bits, sharpening, etc..., etc....etc...) from Woodcraft that I have ever spent on Power Tools. In my Customer Service world, regardless of the size of the customer, you make them feel important. Period.

For those of you who have good Woodcrafts next to you, I think that is great. You are very lucky. I have a gut feeling that my store will close because of what I described, verry soon. Customer Service is #1 and if they had it, i would gladly order from them even if the item was not in stock. Having more knowledge than the customer is one thing, but having enough knowledge about your product line and customer care is a responsibility of the store management to teach the staff. I will be shopping elsewhere. There are too many compeditors out there to give them this much leway on my pocket book.

By the way, Thank you all for your input.

Gene Howe
04-01-2010, 12:54 PM
First of all, I think it is shameful for a business to devalue my business in the store simply because of what I have purchased in the past from them. I have spent WAY more on misc. supplies (Glue, finishes, sand paper, measuring/marking, router bits, sharpening, etc..., etc....etc...) from Woodcraft that I have ever spent on Power Tools. In my Customer Service world, regardless of the size of the customer, you make them feel important. Period.

For those of you who have good Woodcrafts next to you, I think that is great. You are very lucky. I have a gut feeling that my store will close because of what I described, verry soon. Customer Service is #1 and if they had it, i would gladly order from them even if the item was not in stock. Having more knowledge than the customer is one thing, but having enough knowledge about your product line and customer care is a responsibility of the store management to teach the staff. I will be shopping elsewhere. There are too many compeditors out there to give them this much leway on my pocket book.

By the way, Thank you all for your input.

Brian,
You have succinctly and accurately described my experiences and feelings about the stores in my area.
It's too bad, really. I do blame the company as it's their responsibility to screen and train their franchisees. But if they don't give a hoot....we'll do as you say and take our business elsewhere.

Bill Wyko
04-01-2010, 1:20 PM
I'm about in the middle of a Woodcraft and a Woodworkers Source. While I get great service from both, I always go to Woodworkers source as my first choice. I've been doing business with them for almost 20 years. The manager there is one of my best friends. He always goes way out of his way to take care of me. They seem to have better prices than Woodcraft consistently as well. Both stores have always been knowledgeable and helpful and I can't say anything bad about either.

A little something I'd like to add. I had a customer come in my shop once, a young kid. He didn't look like he had any money but I always give everyone all the time and respect they deserve no matter what. He had been blown off by other stores because he wasn't "dressed the part" In the end, he spent more with me than any other customer had ever spent with me. His Grandfather invented the little tab that stays on your soda/beer cans. Some of you will remember the tabs that came off the can and would choke children back in the day. He was a great kid and we had some wonderful times competing with his car we built. Just another example of "Don't judge a book by its cover."

Adam Moore
04-01-2010, 3:46 PM

My experiences with the Richmond, VA Woodcraft have not been as good as Phillip's. Although the owner is helpful and knowledgeable, I can't say the same for the rest of the staff. So now I take all of my questions straight to the owner.

The lack of inventory is also a concern. The last four parts that I tried to purchase were out of stock: dovetail template; Festool saw guide; specialty router bit; clock parts. I was able to get the first two items at the Pleasant's Hardware in downtown Richmond. The other two I ordered online.

It may be that the customer base for the Richmond Woodcraft is mainly turners and carvers.

I've been to two different Woodcrafts in the past year (as I'm new to woodworking).

The WC in the west end there was the first one I ever went to. Been in there a half dozen times and not once was asked if I needed any help or anything. In fact, I had to wait about 5 minutes at the register each time I bought something for them to check me out.

It's funny because I've been to the WC in Parkersburg WV with my dad and the experience was completely different. For one, the store is twice as big. And they have practically everything you can get on their website in that store. The employees act as if they actually care about you. They opened up an extra register to check me out at that one.

Derek Gilmer
04-01-2010, 4:00 PM
I only wish I had a Woodcraft or a Rockler or a whatever. They could treat me bad and I wouldn't care. All we have here is Lowes and Home Depot.

t
Amen!

On a side note, I've only been to one woodcraft. It is the one in Palantine I think north west of Chicago while visiting family. I loved the 3 hours I spent there drooling over things. The staff was all very helpful. I spent 45 minutes talking to the manager about planes and saws. I was ready to buy some of the cheaper hand tools they had. He took time to explain why starting there was a bad idea. Saving me a lot of frustration and money but costing him some sales. However I know where my first stop is next time we go back to Chicago.

Mike Hall1
04-02-2010, 8:35 AM
The Woodcraft store with the highest sales turnover is..........................Honolulu, of all places. Captive market maybe!

Mike

Paul Canaris
04-02-2010, 1:16 PM
The staff is helpful and courteous. But I do have issues with their stocking policy. If I need slides or hinges I often find they have two of each type, but not typically more which often leaves me short. I do find most of the time that the staff knows no more and often less than I do about woodworking tools. :rolleyes:

These are after all mostly guys like us for whom this is simply a part time job.:)

They are very expensive, so I only tend to go there when I can't wait. Otherwise I mail order.

David Hostetler
04-02-2010, 2:57 PM
In regards to my local Woodcraft...

(1) Staff

The staff, though they know my first name, doesn't give a crap about me regardless of the endless times I have visited them for supplies. Each time I ask for advise, I either get bothersome discust remarks or ignorant answers that I could have as easily answered myself, i.e. looking at the catalogue and reading me specifics about a product.

I don't think my experience with them is nearly as bad as yours. The guys at my local Woodcraft seem happy to answer questions, but I always get the feeling like my being there is an inconvenience to them. The Rockler I go to is MUCH friendlier, and more helpful.

(2) Cost

Frankly, I am at the point where I will never buy large purchase items from them. And I will NEVER again buy wood from them. A local Hardwood dealer sells for a good 40-50% less. Their markup is a comlpete joke. I would rather order products online to save $$, tax, and the hassle of working with them. Even their sale prices are higher than online retailers.

I have gotten some fair deals out of them, but usually on small items. They offer classes nobody else offers and are priced reasonably. But on the majority of items, I just realize they are a speciality shop, and simply do not buy what is overpriced unless I am desperate. I have only bought lumber from them once. Honestly my local yards have too large of a minimum purchase for me right now. (50 bd/ft min). Usually Rockler has better selection, and lower prices on lumber though. I have gotten some good prices on things like planes, scrapers, glue, turning tools, band saw parts etc...

(3) Inventory

My local Woodcraft must be hurting like crazy. There is never anything on the shelves. I wish I had a nickle for each time I have heard a Woodcraft employee say "we are out of stock and could have it a week from Monday".

My local woodcraft is reasonably well stocked. While they don't have EVERYTHING that is in the online catalog, they have had everything I was looking for, with the exception of a glue spreader set (which was on obscene cheap sale) and they got it to me in 2 days...

Overall, I shop there when they have what I want on sale, or if I am looking for small quantities of Walnut and Rockler is out. The sales staff is helpful, and I think it is just a personal perception thing, they just don't seem all that friendly, or even happy I walked in the door to fill their paychecks... The guys at Rockler always greet me like I am an old College Frat brother or something, and are helpful beyond words. I have gone to them on a couple of occasions just to fish for ideas, and walked out with a couple of new router bits, some Walnut, some maple, and most recently and obscenely good deal on an 8" cherry turning (bowl) blank.

Gene Thayer
04-02-2010, 10:41 PM
My closest Woodcraft (Sacramento) is terrific; they're the best-stocked WC I've seen and the staff is always helpful and friendly. I've been to several other WC and Rockler stores, but the Sac. Woodcraft is by far the best.:)

Robert Adamis
04-03-2010, 12:55 AM
I've been to the Sacramento WoodCraft as well and in fact it's about 3 miles away from my home (I didn't even realize it until after I bought the house... I promise!). The sales people there generally are pretty nice and helpful. Being that I am only 29 I often feel a little intimidated by older sales clerks because of my lack of experience but none of the guys have ever blown me off so my fears are unfounded.

As far as purchases I haven't made any large purchases and probably won't either. Nothing against the store, I am just trying to buy old school made in the USA stuff so I'm mostly a craigslist shopper. If I was buying twenty years ago and could actually buy some USA tools I probably would utilize them. The things I have purchased include my router (PC 7518 still in the box waiting for it's routing table), mobile base and routing bits. In each instance I feel I have gotten good service at a reasonable (not exceptional) price.

Retail stores these days have to compete against internet stores based off of convenience and service. I think most of us are more then happy to fork over a couple of bucks to a local store that carries inventory for most things we may need on short notice. We are also more then willing to pay for a little bit of good customer service as well. That percentage of what we are willing to pay extra for those two factors is a personal preference and for me is worth about a 15% premium.

Finally a plug for another great Sacramento WW store is Sacramento Machine Company. I've gotten some exceptional deals from them based off of their used inventory. I usually deal with Gary who has been instrumental at helping me get those great deals. If they were closer to me instead of on the other side of town I would probably frequent them more then the WoodCraft only because of the large warehouse full of used equipment sitting in the back.

alex grams
04-05-2010, 4:10 PM
I am fortunate there are two within 20 miles of me (Houston). The Southwest Side store has always been good to me. The manager is knowledgeable and personable. When I purchased my Sawstop ICS they loaded it up and moved it into my garage and i figured that was all they would do, but they stuck around and helped me get it set up on its mobile base and made sure everything worked out well. Some of the employees may not be the most knowledgeable on some items, but their willingness to help me out makes sure i give them first glance for new tools.

When i go back with an item with a problem, the manager just says grab another off the shelf and hand him the one i had the problem with, no receipts or hassles, just service.

I am in the market for a 10" jointer/planer combo (grizzly or Jet) and while i suspect Woodcraft won't be able to compete in being able to get me a competitively priced Jet combo machine, I will at least go to the manager and give him the chance to give it to me at a competitive price before i look elsewhere.

Hugh MacDonald
05-10-2010, 10:00 PM
Interesting post/question. Because the Woodcraft in my area (Towson, MD, I'm talking about you) is a joke, and a sad one at that. I've never had a stellar shopping experience there. Those experiences have been productive or successful insofar as I've needed something I couldn't wait to have shipped, or didn't want to pay shipping for, I went to the store, and walked out the door with the item(s) I needed.

The staff there, as many of you have described of other locations, is disinterested or worse. I've ended up in minor, petty debates with them while trying to patronize their shop. On one occasion I went to buy a Stanley No. 93 shoulder plane. I asked the salesman, "Do you have any Stanley shoulder planes?" He answered something along the lines of "I don't think so/I don't care if we do/No." To which I replied, "Are you actually trying to sell things in this store, because I'm pretty sure I just saw the box for the Stanley No. 93 in the display case, and I'm trying to help pay your rent here."

On another occasion, a few months ago, I asked if they would have the new Delta Unisaw on display or in stock, because I was seriously considering buying one (I have since purchased it) and saw it in the Woodcraft catalog. "Never again," I was told vehemently. "I had one in here a few months ago and it took six months to get rid of. It's no good anyway; the Powermatic's much better." Which the Taiwan-made PM2000 is certainly isn't, and I told him as much. In any case I took my $3000 elsewhere and bought the Unisaw at Skarie, in Baltimore, a much better experience. And that's really the only action you can take that has teeth: spend your money, big and small, anywhere but there.

Ken Fitzgerald
05-10-2010, 10:47 PM
Woodcraft IIRC are franchises and therefore experience can vary from store to store because they are owned and managed by different people.

I have had nothing but good service from the Woodcraft stores in Spokane, WA and Boise, ID.

Ray Bell
05-10-2010, 11:59 PM
I agree with Ken about the Spokane store. I have had only positive experiences there.

John Mark Lane
05-11-2010, 7:21 AM
I, too, miss Woodworkers Whorehouse. At least they kept some real tools in stock, and most of the guys seemed to know what they were (Port Chester NY was "my" store).

Woodcraft seems like a different kind of operation. The only one I've been in was Norwalk, CT. Small store, not much inventory. A whole aisle seemed dedicated to pens -- what the heck is that all about? When did making pens become a popular woodworking activity? Oh well, we're all different I guess. But it was disappointing to me that they had basically no stationary power tools in stock. None.

I was there about three weeks ago. After a while they owner paid some attention to me. I told him I was about to outfit an entire woodshop (which is true), and that I had a decent budget for it. I listed tools that I intend to buy in the immediate future -- TS, jointer, BS, lathe, etc. -- and that I was considering Jet for all of them. Although polite, the guy made no attempt at all to get my business. I had to basically force the conversation. I asked him if I bought all the tools at once from him if I could get any kind of price break. He more or less told me retail is what the price is, period. When I asked if he could move a little in the direction of online pricing, he said no. Plus the tools would have to be delivered to his store and I pick them up, no drop shipping or delivery.

I dunno, I mean, if the guy has his constraints I understand that. It just seems kind of odd to have someone walk in and say they are about to drop several thousand dollars on the thing you sell, and have basically no reaction. ... I guess that's what amazon is for. :confused:

As for wood, those in the NY/CT/NJ area should know about M. L. Condon in White Plains, NY. Large old-school wood supply business in an industrial area of town, with a tremendous selection of beautiful woods. Nice people, too.

Larry Frank
05-11-2010, 7:59 PM
My local Woodcraft recently closed and I ended up getting a major tool from the store in Grand Rapids, Michigan. It was a very good experience in getting the tool delivered to me. The people there were helpful even though I was being a pain due to the tool being back ordered.

Ray Newman
05-11-2010, 10:05 PM
Closest WoodCraft to me is in Seattle, about a two hour round trip. Once a month, I take a ’culture trip’ there to look around, see what’s new, etc. Seems like I usually spend part of my self-imposed tool and wood allowance there.

I've been dealing with there for about 7-8 years and have not experienced any problems with the staff. Seems to be a well stocked store and offers the usual classes and seminars.

The owner(s) must be doing something right as the store recently expanded to give it quite a bit more room. Really going to be a nice store when it is all done and the new classroom really looks nice.

If I ever had a bad experience there , I would not hesitate to drop a note to the manager/owner. Sometimes management doesn’t see or know everything.

Ted Baca
05-11-2010, 11:31 PM
I frequent the local Woodcraft in Loveland Co. and they have a very freindly and knowledgable staff. Of course any store will have an employee
or two that you prefer not deal with for one reason or another. But overall this is a store I recommend to many friends. It is owned by the same owners that have a store in Denver and although I don't make it to that store as often, I have always been treated well there too. Sorry to see that some have bad experiences at some locations, but the woodcraft company overall has always been good to me for years.

Bill Whig
05-12-2010, 5:24 AM
FWIW, One of the Woodcraft stores closed in cental Indiana last year (or so). In my newbeness, I would have to say I like the way I am treated better at my Rockler store than my Woodcraft store and this coincides with the frequency that I visit each of the stores. In short, at Woodcraft I felt that they talked "at me" rather than "to me". YMMV.

Bill

Jerome Hanby
05-12-2010, 9:19 AM
(2) Cost

I'm sure every Woodcraft may be different, but in my area there is really only one good place to buy hardwood lumber and my local Woodcraft buy from them same as I do. I'm guessing that they don't buy enough lumber to get a better price than I do. I ran across a business rule of thumb once that said if you don't have pretty close to a 100% markup on items that you are selling then you aren't making any money...

george wilson
05-12-2010, 9:32 AM
About pens: I just cannot see who buys the millions of pens that the multitude of penmakers out there must produce. True,there is always an overabundance of pen making stuff in the store.

I only ever made 1 pen,for David Rockefeller. A huge oak tree he used to swing on in Colonial Williamsburg fell down in a storm. You would have thought that God had fallen dead!

I was asked to make something for D.R. as a remembrance. Of course,the wood was completely wet. My only solution was to microwave several 1/2" square pieces of the "Great Oak" till dry. It is very easy to burn the heart of wood black!!! I got a few pieces bone dry,and got a pen kit,turned a very thin cylinder of the oak out,and made the pen. He was delighted. What can you make for the super rich,anyway ?

I wonder where all those other pens go ? Probably at the bottom of people's sock drawer!!! :)

Ken Fitzgerald
05-12-2010, 9:53 AM
George,

Would you kindly stay out of my sock drawer.....please?
:rolleyes:

John Mark Lane
05-12-2010, 10:58 AM
Well I'm at least glad I'm not the only one who finds it a little odd. I was baffled that a Woodcraft store only a little bigger than my office had such a large area devoted to pen-making. It didn't even occur to me to ask who might be buying them (I can't imagine anyone is). I was just curious as to who the heck is making them? Not to belittle anyone's creative efforts. It just seems like an odd phenomenon. I mean, I don't remember much about this years ago, and back then pens were more relevant. I can hardly even find a pen in my house or office any more when I do need one. Everyone is "texting" or whatever.

About pens: I just cannot see who buys the millions of pens that the multitude of penmakers out there must produce. True,there is always an overabundance of pen making stuff in the store.

I only ever made 1 pen,for David Rockefeller. A huge oak tree he used to swing on in Colonial Williamsburg fell down in a storm. You would have thought that God had fallen dead!

I was asked to make something for D.R. as a remembrance. Of course,the wood was completely wet. My only solution was to microwave several 1/2" square pieces of the "Great Oak" till dry. It is very easy to burn the heart of wood black!!! I got a few pieces bone dry,and got a pen kit,turned a very thin cylinder of the oak out,and made the pen. He was delighted. What can you make for the super rich,anyway ?

I wonder where all those other pens go ? Probably at the bottom of people's sock drawer!!! :)

Bill Whig
05-12-2010, 6:14 PM
I was baffled with the pen-making phenomenon too. I am guessing it offers an easier entry point, or at least Appears to offer one, into the hobby of woodworking. I haven't turned any pens, so I can't say for sure. Evidently, the population of woodworkers is greater if one counts pen-makers. Woodcraft surely has an interest in maximizing the former. Personally, I'm more drawn to the idea of making a desk than a pen...different strokes for different folks...

Bill

Sean Nagle
05-12-2010, 6:45 PM
Turning pens and small items can be done with very little investment in machines AND space. I was quite surprised when I was quite surprised when I found out some old acquaintances turned small items. They never came across as the woodworking type. I'm sure there are many more people like them.

George Neill
05-13-2010, 6:07 PM
I make a couple of mail order purchases about twice a year and spend about $500 each time to maximise on shipping costs and to keep below the Australian Customs radar. I spent a long time on several sites researching payment and shipping options and the actual items I wanted to purchase.

Having established they accept PayPal and ship internationally, I settled on Woodcraft on this occasion and began filling my shopping cart. When I tried to checkout, I hit a problem... no way to check out. I emailed Woodcraft for assistance and their response was that they don't accept PayPal payments from shoppers outside the US! Well why state in the support articles that you welcome international shoppers and accept PayPal? What a waste of time and effort! :mad:

Ah well, Rockler are always happy to take my orders. :D

Jaze Derr
05-13-2010, 8:49 PM
Amen!

On a side note, I've only been to one woodcraft. It is the one in Palantine I think north west of Chicago while visiting family. I loved the 3 hours I spent there drooling over things. The staff was all very helpful. I spent 45 minutes talking to the manager about planes and saws. I was ready to buy some of the cheaper hand tools they had. He took time to explain why starting there was a bad idea. Saving me a lot of frustration and money but costing him some sales. However I know where my first stop is next time we go back to Chicago.

FYI, that store has moved (sadly, further away from me, so now Rockler is my choice). They are now in Libertyville. Haven't seen the new store yet, because it is quite a bit out of my way now, while Rockler is sort of on the way home.