PDA

View Full Version : Hacker Bench -- Woof Woof

Tom LaRussa
11-08-2004, 10:35 PM
I made a couple bench doggies out of some scrap oak I had in the junk bin. The one is much shorter than the other because one of the dog holes is directly over the horizontal support thingie -- oops -- so it can't go down all the way.

I also fashioned a sort-of, semi-pseudo tail vise out of the vise on the end of the bench.

Here are a couple pics:

Alan Turner
11-09-2004, 9:51 AM
On an old bench, I did the same with a shoulder vise, and found that it racked a bit too much. Hope yours is better.
Alan

Tyler Howell
11-09-2004, 10:05 AM
Go Tom Pumping them out!
PS Bring the pooch Back!:p

Tom LaRussa
11-09-2004, 10:58 AM
On an old bench, I did the same with a shoulder vise, and found that it racked a bit too much. Hope yours is better.
Alan
Alan,

How wide did you make it?

Mine sticks out less than 2" beyond the edges of the vise itself.

Alan Turner
11-09-2004, 2:32 PM
My bench, no longer with me for lack of room, was probably about 25" or so wide, and the jaws were full width. The vise itself was probably 10-12" wide. I ended up not liking that configuration, or any other part of the bench for that matter, but that didn't compel me to make another for about 20 years or so. I had that bad bench a long time. It used to warp so badly that one time I got angry, took it off of the leg set, and ran a series of TS kerfs down the middle, but not through to the ends, flipped it upside down, and filled the kerfs with yellow glue. I can't say it helped much, and it was always out of flat. One of the resaons I gave it away, with warnings, was that I couldn't stand to see it every day after my new bench was in place.
Alan