PDA

View Full Version : X5 box has no graphics book

Paul Brinkmeyer
03-25-2010, 11:01 AM
Just got my corel X5 box version, and looks like they saved money by not including the printed graphics book. :( Unless I bought it to soon???

Saves Corel both printing costs and shipping costs, but I really used the printed book.

I did find the book on the cd in PDF format, 414 pages, so they do have it ready to print.

Mark Winlund
03-25-2010, 11:07 AM
Just got my corel X5 box version, and looks like they saved money by not including the printed graphics book. :( Unless I bought it to soon???

Saves Corel both printing costs and shipping costs, but I really used the printed book.

I did find the book on the cd in PDF format, 414 pages, so they do have it ready to print.

I think you get the book if you buy the full bore system at full retail price. In other words, no student version or upgrade version.

Mark

Scott Challoner
03-25-2010, 2:25 PM
The book is the only reason I paid the extra $10 for the box version. I was pretty disappointed too.

Scott Shepherd
03-25-2010, 2:54 PM
I can't imagine owning Corel without the book. It would almost be useless in so many respects. Not knowing what fonts are on a disc somewhere or knowing all the available graphics without having to look something up on a disc every time would be a real time waster for me.

Gary Hair
03-25-2010, 3:23 PM
The book is the only reason I paid the extra $10 for the box version. I was pretty disappointed too.

You don't get any of the "extras" if you get the download version. There are fonts, clipart and photos that you don't get.

That said, it's pretty disapointing that the book that comes with it is more "fluff" than substance... a book with the fonts and clipart, like versions past, would have been nice and worth the extra $.

On a bright note - the print dialogue that was painfully slow in the trial version, is much faster in the "real" version. I don't know what the differences are between the two but you can't use the boxed serial number to activate the download - kinda strange...

Tony Severenuk (Corel)
03-26-2010, 11:25 AM
Just got my corel X5 box version, and looks like they saved money by not including the printed graphics book. :(

As it sits today, there is no printed Digital Content Manual... a few notes on this....
1) If you get the DVD and install the extras, there is a PDF version of it included....check Start>Programs>CGS X5>Documentation and you'll see that it's there.
2) If you have the DVD and install the extras, Corel CONNECT can search all the content based on keywords
3) If you have the DVD version the fonts listed as "Premium Fonts" , of which there are 40 or so (Helvetica, Fruitiger...the real ones, not knockoffs) are installed into Windows by default so they will be available.

Lastly, if you really want a Digital Content Manual, contact customer service and they are taking names down...if it gets to the point where there is a lot of interest we get one printed.

HTH,
T.

Scott Challoner
03-26-2010, 11:40 AM
Thanks for the info Tony.

Mike Null
03-27-2010, 8:44 AM
Tony

I haven't purchased my X5 upgrade yet but add me to the list of those very disappointed that there's no hard copy clipart and font book not to mention the printed tutorial book.

Lee DeRaud
03-27-2010, 10:00 AM
Tony

I haven't purchased my X5 upgrade yet but add me to the list of those very disappointed that there's no hard copy clipart and font book not to mention the printed tutorial book.+1.

Given that I already have PhotoZoom and the number of reported bugs/anomalies/changes/whatever, I think this particular upgrade will wait awhile.

Scott Shepherd
03-27-2010, 10:14 AM
Tony, no disrespect meant, but many of us using corel in the real world every day depend on that printed material. I can't tell you how many times I've referenced that book to check for a font or look for a graphic. While it might seen easier to you guys to search through some pdf, I'd disagree with that. It's far easier for me to flip to a page I have a tab on than open the pdf and think "I'll just flip through the pages until I get to what I want".

The price didn't go down, but what's in the box did. To me, that book was worth 1/2 the price of the software in the time saved.

No book, no X5 for me. I spend enough time looking for things now. Yes, a search in some software is great, but if you don't know the name of what you're looking for, then it's no so great.

I'm glad someone posted this, because I would have bought it and not been a happy camper either.

Robert Rosensteel
03-27-2010, 10:59 AM
No Book NO Upgrade I work with the book and will hold out. for x5

Anthony Scira
03-27-2010, 11:55 AM
The reason I spent the extra money was to have the Clip Art book. But after a little playing around with Corel Connect it works fairly well. Actually well enough to say it may be easier than flipping through all the pages trying to find something.

But the little tutorial book more than makes up for the extra 10 bucks.

So I guess I am good.

Roy Brewer
03-27-2010, 3:23 PM
As it sits today, there is no printed Digital Content Manual... a few notes on this....Tony,

Significantly off topic, but do I only get one chance at the serial number for the boxed version?

I have not been able to find it anywhere with the boxed shipment, and now I see it was supposed to be in the eMailed receipt which no longer is available. Actually, I saw that I had an X5 sn in MyAccount page @ corel.com and assumed that would allow my trial to be permanent or also work when the box arrived --- but doesn't work. What is the purpose of that trial sn? Since the trial runs w/o it and with it I still have the limited trial time?

Paul Brinkmeyer
03-27-2010, 4:46 PM
You should be able to log into your account at Corel dot com and get it.
I got mine at the website today, and saw that they had the last 3 or 4 versions serial numbers in my acount.

wonder why they did not go all the way back to ver. 3:D

Gary Hair
03-27-2010, 5:57 PM
Roy,
Mine is in the guidebook, inside the cover on the envelope that the disk came in. The trial serial number and the box version are different, so I am told, and the box serial number won't activate the trial version... go figure.

Gary

Roy Brewer
03-28-2010, 9:55 AM
Mine is in the guidebook, inside the cover on the envelope that the disk came in. The trial serial number and the box version are different, so I am told, and the box serial number won't activate the trial version... go figure.Gary,

The envelope in which mine came is stuck to the book and seems like an excellent way to keep the book and DVD together. I peeked behind it and didn't see a number, but you're saying if I rip that out I'll have my serial number, right?

You should be able to log into your account at Corel dot com and get it.Paul,
Indeed, I got the sn from MyAccount for the trial, but Gary is right, they are not interchangeable!

Gary Hair
03-28-2010, 10:51 AM
I peeked behind it and didn't see a number, but you're saying if I rip that out I'll have my serial number, right?

Mine is on a sticker on the outside of the envelope, on the side you would see just by opening the book. If you don't have one there then you might want to call customer service and ask them where it might be, they might have missed yours somehow. I don't have the original packaging but I don't think it was there, just on the envelope.

Gary

Paul Brinkmeyer
03-28-2010, 4:20 PM
Seems like not every package and S/N location is not the same.
I double checked the shipping box/packages and no S/N to be found on any of mine.
Yet the S/N on corel dot com worked for me. I also had it emailed to me.

From the Email I got from Corel "If you already have the trial version of the software you have just purchased installed on your computer, there is no need to download the software again. Simply launch your trial and enter the serial number provided and follow the instructions. You will then have a fully functioning version."

Gary Hair
03-28-2010, 6:18 PM
Paul,
I am guessing you bought a box and download copy, right? If so, then you will see your s/n online and you can use the serial number with your boxed copy you receive. If you bought the box version only then you won't, it is in the box, or should be anyway, and that s/n won't work on the downloaded copy.

Gary

Paul Brinkmeyer
03-28-2010, 6:48 PM
No to that thought...I only bought the boxed version.
Then I was sent the Email about the trial and S/N. And I had not signed up for the trial, and I did not download anything either. Out here in the sticks where I live, internet is way to slow to download anything like that.

Maybe it is how I bought it or something?
I bought mine online thru Graphics UnLeashed.

Guess the only way we will know for sure is if Tony chimes in on Monday.

Gary Hair
03-29-2010, 11:09 AM
Just for grins, I checked in my Corel account and to my surprise, there was the serial number for my new version. I don't know if it was there because I registered/activated it or if it gets added by Corel, but either way, it was there.

Tony Severenuk (Corel)
03-29-2010, 1:30 PM
No to that thought...I only bought the boxed version.
Then I was sent the Email about the trial and S/N. And I had not signed up for the trial, and I did not download anything either.

If customers bought early then they were supposed to get one serial number and that would of been the one from the Trial..try using the S/N from the email that was sent..if that one doesn't work them give customer service a try @ 1-877-582-6735 in North America.

T.

Anthony Scira
03-29-2010, 1:58 PM
Ok after even further playing around with the Corel Connect I really love it and think a book is almost unnecessary.

My only complaint is it does not work well with Win 7 64 bit.

Paul Brinkmeyer
03-29-2010, 2:07 PM
Tony, my S/N from corel dot com worked just fine.
The confusion seems to be that some boxes come with the S/N and some do not.

BTW, Thanks for all the information you have posted here to-date.
I installed over the weekend, and as I ran into issues, most of them were covered here.

Tony Severenuk (Corel)
03-29-2010, 3:39 PM
BTW, Thanks for all the information you have posted here to-date.

Glad I could help!
T.

Scott Shepherd
03-29-2010, 4:28 PM
Ok after even further playing around with the Corel Connect I really love it and think a book is almost unnecessary.

I can't hand a customer my desktop computer and let them browse through it. The book saves me countless hours and saves me all the trouble of looking for things when people are on wild goose chases. When they ask me to head off on one of those wild goose chases, I can hand them the book and let them look as long as they like.

Paul Brinkmeyer
03-29-2010, 4:40 PM
As much as I do not like the idea of not having a book, there is very little different.

I did not do a detailed comparison, but it looks like they only added 3 new catagories, and just a few new graphics. I still mostly use one of the older version books anyway, I like the way it is set up better.

And I did go to Corel Support and request a book.

Gee, and I always was told the odd versions of Corel were better.

Anthony Scira
03-29-2010, 4:57 PM
I can't hand a customer my desktop computer and let them browse through it. The book saves me countless hours and saves me all the trouble of looking for things when people are on wild goose chases. When they ask me to head off on one of those wild goose chases, I can hand them the book and let them look as long as they like.

Hmmmmm could we have finally found a use for that iPad thing ?

Scott Shepherd
03-29-2010, 5:02 PM
Paul, part of my point is that the price didn't drop, they just dropped the book. So we're getting less for the same money. They obviously did it to save money and be able to charge the same for less product, which is discouraging.

Anthony, now you're thinkin' :D I knew you'd come around eventually ;)

Anthony Scira
03-29-2010, 5:25 PM
Paul, part of my point is that the price didn't drop, they just dropped the book. So we're getting less for the same money. They obviously did it to save money and be able to charge the same for less product, which is discouraging.

Anthony, now you're thinkin' :D I knew you'd come around eventually ;)

Well they did add the Corel Connect which is pretty cool. And the book that came with it is pretty cool and I am guessing more expensive than the spiral bound book.

In this economy who is not trying to save costs. I would not call it discouraging though. There were enough features to justify the cost. Maybe should have had 2 versions one with and one without ?

And I am not going to be purchasing an iPad as of yet. Do you have yours ordered ?

Gary Hair
03-29-2010, 9:04 PM
And the book that came with it is pretty cool and I am guessing more expensive than the spiral bound book.

Given the choice, I would have rather had the spiral bound book and not the one that came with it. Some may find it useful, but not me.

Gary

Tony Severenuk (Corel)
03-30-2010, 1:22 PM
Given the choice, I would have rather had the spiral bound book and not the one that came with it. Some may find it useful, but not me.
Gary
If you guys have a coreldraw.com account can I ask that you share your opinions in this thread?
http://coreldraw.com/forums/t/19143.aspx
There are more then a few sets of eyes watching it.
T.