PDA

View Full Version : Spindle extenders - opinions wanted

Thom Sturgill
03-25-2010, 10:22 AM
With the upgrade from a Jet 1220 to a 1642 there is in increase from 1" to 1 1/4" in the size of the spindle. Everything is still #2MT so that's OK but my chucks will not fit and only one uses an internal adapter.
What are the thoughts on using a spindle extender type adapter to allow use of the smaller chucks? (PSI barracudas) I WILL eventually buy at least one larger chuck strictly for this machine, but want to be able to get some use out of my existing chucks as well though I am not that happy with the original jaws.

Steve Schlumpf
03-25-2010, 10:35 AM
Thom - I haven't had any experience with spindle extenders but would think it would depend entirely on how accurate the extender was machined. Anytime you add something to the spindle you amplify any deviation - meaning wobble. In an ideal world this would work great but I think there is a good chance that the accumulated tolerances could be a problem.

Hopefully someone with experience will chime in! Good luck!

dan carter
03-25-2010, 10:53 AM
I regularly switch chucks back and forth between a 3520B and a 46-460 with no noticeable drawbacks. I bought the adapers from CUSA. I would guess it might also make a difference on how accurate yours chucks are. The adapters were solid, so I needed to drill a hole in one of them when I needed to insert a rod thru the headstock.

Thom Sturgill
03-25-2010, 11:02 AM
Steve, I'm with you on that. I'm keeping the 1220, so I will still be able to use the chucks on it. Knowing I was going to 'eventually' upgrade led me to buy the G3 with an insert. I know the pros and cons:
PRO: more access to the head stock side of a turning
CON: potential for wobble.

What I want is comments from people that have used one as to issues they have had, if any, especially with particular models.

The president of the club I belong to got a 1642 last year and uses one because he has quite an inventory of 1" chucks. He's been turning 10 years and it seems we buy about one ever year or so. :o.

Chris Zeigler
03-25-2010, 11:03 AM
Thom,
I got the Penn State adapter that adapts 1-1/4" 8 to 1" 8 http://www.pennstateind.com/store/LA11418.html It seems to work just fine for me. It was only $20 which was even cheaper than an insert for my Talon chuck. I don't notice any problems but you can take my opinion with a grain of salt because I'm not that experienced yet.

Good luck.
Chris

Frank Van Atta
03-25-2010, 11:43 AM
I regularly use a spindle adapter (5/8 smooth bore to 1 in. 8) with never a problem. These adapters are so short and so simple to machine that I would be surprised to find one that introduced a wobble due to one of the sections being off center.

Dennis Ford
03-25-2010, 12:42 PM
I also bought an adapter from Penn State. It mates up solid on my spindle and works fine. I have not tried to measure runout, but if there is any, it is not much. Well worth the $20

Bill Bolen
03-25-2010, 3:23 PM
I've been using the psi version Chris linked to since July and have had no problems. The remainder of my chucks I changed the adapter out on to fit the new lathe...Bill..

Jim Sebring
03-25-2010, 11:27 PM
I, too, have the PSI 1 1/4-to-1 inch adapter. I checked it on my DVR with a dial indicator and found it has no more than a couple thou of runout. The only issue I had with it when it was new was finding a narrow enough wrench to get it off the spindle. I filed the flats to widen them about 1/16 inch, then bought a giant Crescent type wrench from Harbor Freight (the flats are something like 1 9/16 inch across).

Thom Sturgill
03-26-2010, 1:01 PM
Sounds like the consensus is not just that they work without major issues, but that the cheaper PSI adapter is fine, so mine is on order and the new lathe is at the depot (60 miles south of here) and scheduled for delivery Monday.