PDA

View Full Version : What exactly is melamine lacquer?

Perry Underwood
03-25-2010, 9:03 AM
I am currently finishing a guitar body (ash cap on maple) with a melamine lacquer manufactured by Chestnut Products. It goes on fairly easily and can be wiped on, brushed on, or sprayed. The only difficulty I have had is that it dries too quickly if used full strength.

The thing is that I really don't know what it is. It can be thinned using a cellulose thinner. Does that mean it is similar to nitrocellulose lacquer?

When I think of melamine I think of plastic. That may be incorrect but it is what comes to my mind.

Here is a link from the Chestnut site:

http://www.chestnutproducts.co.uk/results.php?cat=Lacquers

Would anyone have more experience with this type of lacquer? Thanks for all replies.

Scott Holmes
03-25-2010, 10:01 AM
Per the link you sent...

Tips
Thinning may be required when applying over a large area. Not suitable for exterior use. Conforms to EN71 for use on toys
Thinners
Cellulose Thinners

Never used the stuff, can't say much about it. Melamine sounds as if it's an additive to give it a more durable surface.

Chris Friesen
03-25-2010, 11:24 AM
Coincidentally, there was an article on all forms of lacquer in the latest Popular Woodworking Magazine.

Melamine lacquer is a catylized lacquer containing mostly melamine resins dissolved in lacquer thinner. It's harder and more scratch resistant than nitrocellulose.

Phil Phelps
03-25-2010, 11:40 AM
Perry, this is someone's brew that may be an exceptional product or maybe not. I've refinished several guitars using nitro lacquer and automotive products. This is one project that should have a super high gloss. You'd have better results is you could spray.