PDA

View Full Version : Spray Latex paint with Earlex 5000?

Drew Sanderson
03-25-2010, 8:37 AM
How does the Earlex 5000 do with latex paint? I saw the video podcast and discussion on wood whisperer and got the impression that it was not up to the job with latex. Anyone else have experience?

Phil Phelps
03-25-2010, 8:41 AM
They invented the "airless" to spray latex paint properly.

Jim Eller
03-25-2010, 3:17 PM
I have used mine to spray window shutters. It worked fine for that application. Make sure the viscosity is right.

Phil Phelps
03-25-2010, 6:46 PM
I have used mine to spray window shutters. It worked fine for that application. Make sure the viscosity is right.

I'm gonna' bet the paint manufacturer wouldn't recommend it.

Jim Eller
03-25-2010, 7:38 PM
I'm gonna' bet the paint manufacturer wouldn't recommend it.

And.......................?

Deft doesn't recommend spraying their "Brushing Lacquer" either.:rolleyes: But I read here that folks do it with success. Realizing the reasons may be different.

I'm sure there's a whole can of worms here somewhere.

No offense given or taken.:)

Jim

Scott Holmes
03-25-2010, 7:56 PM
I agree the airless is the way to go for paint.

I have an Air Assisted Airless that will do anything from lacquer to latex with no problem what-so-ever.

Gun alone cost more than many of the HVLP setups.

Phil Phelps
03-25-2010, 8:00 PM
And.......................?

Deft doesn't recommend spraying their "Brushing Lacquer" either.:rolleyes: But I read here that folks do it with success. Realizing the reasons may be different.

I'm sure there's a whole can of worms here somewhere.

No offense given or taken.:)

Jim
By no means any offence, Jim. We are all trying to achieve the best results. What I'm saying is latex wall and house paint were not meant to be reduced by half to be applied. Spraying sounds like the fastest and easiest way to paint. Many times that is true, but in most DIY circumstances, painting with a brush and or roller is the best method. Spraying it can be done, but the results are not as good. Even alkyd paint has to be reduced too much in a siphon or HVLP gun. Lacquer, shellac, and varnish are all together different. I'll bet the sheen on those shutters is different from a brshed method.

Chris Friesen
03-25-2010, 8:08 PM
Thinning down a gloss latex to spray it can make it less glossy. According to the experts it can also make the paint have less grip on the substrate and less toughness in the final finish--basically there's so much water present that the bits of resin are too far apart to properly bind to each other.

Drew Sanderson
03-26-2010, 8:01 AM
Thanks for all the info guys!!! As always, SMC members are amazing!

Jim Eller
03-26-2010, 9:37 AM
Phil,

No offense taken.

I sprayed the shutters because of the louvers. Trying to brush them just invites runs in my case.

As far a gloss, it was semi-gloss and I can't see any difference between them and some other things that were done with a brush.

Just my two cents or less.

Jim

Phil Phelps
03-26-2010, 11:49 AM
Phil,

No offense taken.

I sprayed the shutters because of the louvers. Trying to brush them just invites runs in my case.

As far a gloss, it was semi-gloss and I can't see any difference between them and some other things that were done with a brush.

Just my two cents or less.

Jim
As Chris stated, that's one reason thinning isn't good. I can't blame anyone for not wanting to spray shutters. Even the most experienced painter hates shutters. Prep is the main thing and when having to brush them, Floetrol makes a big difference. When I have had to thin and spray latex, I spray twice as many coats as it would with a brush or airless.