PDA

View Full Version : What do you guys think about this Craftsman saw?

Robert Mayer
11-08-2004, 10:34 PM
I was seriously look at this tablesaw. I have most of the money saved up for it. But this is the limit that I can spend. I can get it for $529 with a tool club 10% savings, plus I dont have to pay shipping. The local service place is fast and I will never have to ship it if I ever have problems. What do you guys think? I went and looked at it today. Its very solid, with an completely machined iron top on it.

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&pid=00922114000&tab=des#tablink

http://content.sears.com/data/product_images/009/22114/00922114000-190.jpg

Bart Leetch
11-08-2004, 11:22 PM
It's still just a contractors saw If that what you want I guess it will do.

As far as I know the motor is underneath instead of out the back.

My question is with the trunnions hanging form the bottom side of the top & the motor hanging further down underneath what kind of stresses is it putting on the top when you crank it over for a bevel cut as compared to the contractors saw with the motor out the back side?

You might check out the Grizzly G0444Z.

Here http://www.grizzly.com/products/item.cfm?itemnumber=g0444z&

I have a shop that is about 1/2 & 1/2 Sears & Grizzly & have come to prefer Grizzly. Better tool & way better service.

I grew up during Craftsman's hay day a a tool vendor & can honestly say they don't make them the way they used to.

Tony Falotico
11-09-2004, 7:19 AM
The following is from a post I made last July, go back and review the entire thread

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=10805

" I think Keith hits the nail on the head. Unfortunately, Sears sets the specs to keep the price competitive (low). My experiences over the years has been that Craftsman are basically OK tools until it comes to the details where shortcuts are taken to keep the cost down. I use a Craftsman Table Saw, vintage 1979 that I inherited. It was basically a functional machine when new. Since I've changed the 1.5 hp motor to 2 hp, threw away the totally crap (and dangerous) fence and replaced with a Beismeyer, replaced the plastic hand-wheels with cast metal ones, and replaced the cast pulleys with machined pulleys. "

I've looked at the one your referring to (not carefully), and while it looks much better than the one I have (before the modifications), Craftsman has never let me down when it comes to disappointment (Woodworking machines that is). There is a reason for the lower price, they HAD to skimp somewhere to keep the price low. Mine has served me well, so I'm not saying don't get it, but mine will be replaced with a better quality machine one day.

The above is the personal opinion of the host and callers, and does not necessarily agree with the opinions of ownership or management of this station, or any other normal or sane person! I approve this message.

Ken Fitzgerald
11-09-2004, 8:33 AM
Robert.....you might try a little comparison shopping. If you have a HD in your area...go look at the Ridgid TS3650. It's in the same price range and it was reviewed in the latest FWW magazine and their view was that it was an excellent buy for the money. Go crawl over both saws and compare them. I think the TS3650 sells for $549. Go compare them! Take notes. Good Luck!

JayStPeter
11-09-2004, 9:20 AM
Robert,

I checked these out at Sears last time I was there. They look like nice saws. I like the fact that they are built for DC. I don't recall being overly impressed with the fences on the lower priced models. Can't remember on the saw you specified. My big question is do they still use the non-standard miter slot? If so, I would avoid it just for that reason. IMHO, there are plenty of equally nice saws in that price range where you won't have to hassle with that when buying accessories. Why strap yourself with the hassle when spending that kind of dough on a nice new saw.

If I were looking at a ~$500 saw, I think I'd go for the Grizzly "Ultimate Contractor Saw". It looks like the nicest fence in the $500 range saws.

Jay

Carole Valentine
11-09-2004, 9:36 AM
If I were you, Robert, I would continue saving my pennies while I looked around at some different brands. Every Sears tool (other than wrenches and screwdrivers) that I have ever owned has been a disappointment to me. I have not looked at that saw in person, but I doubt Craftsman has changed it's stripes overnight. I would be willing to bet that you can get a much better saw for the same or slightly more money. You didn't mention what type of woodworking you are planning on doing, but be aware that an underpowered saw is a source of frustration, not to mention a safety hazard!

Tyler Howell
11-09-2004, 9:54 AM
Robert,

I guess the most telling factor is I can't get rid of my old one. Even all tricked out with all the up grades. No one wants it at a reasonable price.
For a beginner or ruff construction it worked pretty good. but it is not a cabinet makers saw.
Mine has become a dedicated router table/dado saw/ work table with a great fence.

Byron Trantham
11-09-2004, 10:14 AM
I owned a Craftsman contractor's saw for 8 years. :mad: Keep shopping.

JayStPeter
11-09-2004, 2:03 PM
I have not looked at that saw in person, but I doubt Craftsman has changed it's stripes overnight.

I don't think I agree here. Many of the new Craftsman tools are quite nice. I think other mfrs. should rethink their contractor saw designs to be more like this one. Someone (either C'man or some other brand that C'man uses as a source) put some thought into the shortcomings of contractor saws when it comes to WW. I think the tools that are designated Craftsman Professional are very nice these days. Many made in the same factories as our other favorite brands. The "Pro" version of this saw even has a real Biesmeyer fence. I don't really know about the internals of this saw, so that remains to be seen. But, from what I saw in the store, I wouldn't be surprised if they are pretty good.

I think that the cabinet and trunnion on this saw are designed to compete with the "hybrid" saws. My belief is that the corners cut to bring this saw to the lower price point make it a bad buy. I don't like the front/rear locking fence at all. It looks similar to others at lower price points. And, my opinion is that with saws in this price range, the fences are key. If you're going to upgrade the fence, might as well buy a bigger badder saw from the start. Finally, as I mentioned before, if they held over the non-standard miter slot I would not even consider this saw. There are ways around it, but why bother when the competition is so good.

I would be negligent if I didn't also give kudos to Craftsman for finally using "real" HP ratings for the motors on their new saws. Gone are the "3HP" saws that will work in a 15A 110V circuit.

Jay

Andy Haney
11-09-2004, 11:05 PM
Certainly not defending Craftsman, as I have one of their contractors saws that I hope to grow out of when I can have a real shop. However, I have read some very good reviews of this particular Craftsman saw from some who have purchased and used it. There have also been some acceptable magazine reviews.

I have looked at it very carefully in the store where I found a salesman that understood the product. It is unlike a contractors saw in that the trunnions are mounted to the cabinet. More than one of the reviewers was enthused about the capabilities of the fence. In general there have been some less than positive comments about the power (1.75 hp, I think).

The local service you mentioned is probably worth more than anything else. Knowledgeable service is generally the real "dig" against Sears for their woodworking tools.

By the way, it was only a few months ago that woodworking forums were bashing the "new, orange" Ridgid saws and other tools. Buy a saw you're happy with. There can be several factors in what makes you happy.

Andy Haney
Ottawa, Kansas

Bart Leetch
11-09-2004, 11:31 PM
[QUOTE=Andy Haney]
It is unlike a contractors saw in that [B]the trunnions are mounted to the cabinet

I think if you go & check a little more in depth you'll find that the 2 less expensive saws trunnions are mounted just like the Craftsman contractors saws right to the bottom of the table & the new saw that costs around $900 & looks like a cabinet saw with a sheet metal case that goes all the way to the floor has a trunnion system that is fastened to the case. However the trunnion system in this saw is still light weight compared to a real cabinet-saw.

To tell the truth if I was going to spend around $900 dollars on a saw it would be the Grizzly G1023SL a real cabinet saw & not the wannabe Sears has to offer. The Sears $900 dollar saw is a fair saw but is still only has 1 3/4 hp motor & can use 110 volts or 220 volt which I think is the biggest thing it has going for it because some people don't have 220 volt power available. Other than that & a better trunnion it still has Sears behind it & thats not saying much.