PDA

View Full Version : Thanks to the vendors and the "Creekers"

Troy Donson
03-25-2010, 8:36 AM
Just wanted to say Thank You!! to several folks here and a couple of vendors.

First an absolutely Huge Thank You to the Moderators here at SMC: Thanks especially to Steve Schlumpf for taking the time to help this fledgling turner when I asked a lot of mundane questions and also for giving permission to quote his advice on big "reminder posters" of "DOs and DON'Ts" that hang around my "shop".

Thanks to Vince at vinceswoodnwonders.com for expert advice on how to spend a great deal of money on sanding supplies. It's not that his prices are high or anything, it's that he has so much great stuff!!! I find his customer service is excellent, the shipping is reasonable ( and fast!! ) and his products work really really well. His website has a plethora of informative articles on "power sanding" that have saved me much grief and $$$... Super guy to deal with and always throws a couple extra, er, uh, "Samples" in with your order. Yeah, I know, it's a "Hey, Troy, What do ya think of these?" and 2 days later I am giving him another another order... It's an evil plot I've just learned to live with.

Doug Thompson. I should not have to say more. Doug, Thank You very very much for talking me through what I "needed" vs what I "wanted". I thought I would be making up for what I seem to end up spending at Vince's by "just getting the one gouge"... Well, it was a nice thought, anyway. The quality/price ratio of the tools you make are outstanding. Although now that I have one of your 1/2" V Gouges, I fear that I am going to be ordering several more of your gouges, a couple scrapers, and possibly a skew or 2. A truly excellent tool that has allowed to really blast through a bunch of eucalyptus blanks "like buttah". It's attached to a handle I got from Vince and it is just awesome!!!

Last and Certainly Not Least, thanks to Keith Outten for all he does for all of us. Keith, I want to thank you (or blame you - depends on my mood) and express a huge debt of gratitude for all my success (??) at doing what I do out in my garage. Thanks to The Creek and all the folks who are here giving advice and helping me get over the "bumps in the road", well I could not do it without you guys and gals.

I just figured it was time to say "Thanks" and let everyone know how much the vendors and The Creek mean to me...

The picture shows my messy garage, 1.5hp Jet 1642, a 1/2" Thompson V Gouge in a Vince's Wooden Wonders handle, a chunk of eucalyptus and a finished Mesquite bowl.

Steve Schlumpf
03-25-2010, 9:20 AM
Troy - glad you are enjoying your turning experience! I have also had excellent dealings with a number of venders and have developed friendships with some of them over the years. Just seems that the world of turning is full of great folks and I sure enjoy being part of it!

Great photo! Really pretty wood! Hope this means you will start posting more often! Looking forward to seeing the turning once finished!

Troy Donson
03-25-2010, 9:44 AM
Steve, as you can plainly tell my photography skills are virtually non-existent, so posting pics is an iffy proposition. I am finally getting good enough (??) or happy enough with my work that I will probably start showing it off more.

Working for Toyota now has it's own set of, er, um, "issues" and my time for turning is limited to the very early morning hours. So right now I am concentrating on roughing out about a ton or so :eek: of eucalyptus that a buddy dumped in my driveway.

Figure around September I will start finish turning what I have roughed out in the last month or so. Until then I will probably just be lurking around and continuing to learn...

George Morris
03-25-2010, 9:54 AM
Troy well said!!

Steve Mawson
03-25-2010, 10:05 AM
Troy,
Couldn't agree more. Folks here are the best!! Have delt with the vendors you mentioned and they are great as well. Sometimes we don't thank folks as much as we should. All the help is truely appreciated.:):)

Bernie Weishapl
03-25-2010, 11:44 AM
Well said Troy and couldn't agree more.

Thom Sturgill
03-25-2010, 12:59 PM
I haven't dealt with Vince, but have heard nothing but good, so I would agree and add special mention to Craft Supply (woodturner's catalog) for their support of symposiums all over the country as well as fine products and good customer support.

No relation to any vendor, just a pleased customer of everyone in the industry that I've dealt with so far. Just a fine bunch of people. And 'The Creek' is by far the best board I've been on, and I've been on many boards (mostly computer related) since the '80s.