PDA

View Full Version : New turning tools

Karl Card
03-25-2010, 5:00 AM
About 2 weeks ago I bought quite a few tools at WC. I bought a new rikon lathe which I seem to like very well, I bought a new set of Woodriver HSS turning tools and love them to death, but the one tools that I bought and until this morning still wasnt sure it was worth the 126 bucks I gave for it. Well it most definitely is. It was a:
Ci1 Easy Rougher w/Easy Grip Handle

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj277/kwcard/ezrougher.jpg

This tools allowed me to rough the outside and inside of a beautiful piece of VERY figured walnut. This bowl had a couple of knots, grain running like a road map of the country side and needless to say my old tools would donothing but rip out the grain. This thing here just did wonderful and I cant say enough good things about it.... Kudos to the staff at WC for recommending it...

I will post pics of the bowl when complete. I will tell you though that it is a simple design due to me being a newbie with bowls but I am putting the best finish i know how to on it right now...

Alan Zenreich
03-25-2010, 5:41 AM
Agreed. I now have five of the Easy Wood tools, and they are a pleasure to work with.

The Ci1 is also my go-to tool for acrylics and Tru-Stone, cuts my penmaking time in half for these materials, and leaves a finish that's ready for MicroMesh.

Next step, get the Ci0 Easy Finisher (round carbide cutter)...

I have some great conventional grind tools, but recently find myself reaching for the carbides first.

John Keeton
03-25-2010, 6:19 AM
Karl, congrats on the new lathe and tools. I see lots of press on the Ci tools, and nearly all buyers are well pleased. Lot of homemade versions, as well.

I have one built by another creeker, and I am just moderately pleased with it and I rarely use it. But, I think there is a huge difference in the cutters designed by Easy Woods that makes their tools superior. I would love to get a chance to try one sometime.

Alan Zenreich
03-25-2010, 12:16 PM
John,

Come visit! It's just a short ride from KY to NJ <vbg>

Here are a couple of photos of my current flock-o-carbide from Easy Wood tools.

http://www.zenreich.com/ZenWeb/shop/images/tour/easywoodtools_b.jpg

http://www.zenreich.com/ZenWeb/shop/images/tour/easywoodtools_c.jpg

Ian James Webster
03-25-2010, 12:30 PM
Couldn't agree more - I love my easy rougher. I found a source for the replacement cutters - $20 for 10 cutters. They are the same ones used on planer/jointer heads. My local supplier where I bought the tool wants $12 each for a replacement cutter. I'm at work at the moment and can't remember the name of the supplier but I'll look it up tonight if any one is interested. No connection and all that.

Karl Card
03-25-2010, 12:52 PM
Couldn't agree more - I love my easy rougher. I found a source for the replacement cutters - $20 for 10 cutters. They are the same ones used on planer/jointer heads. My local supplier where I bought the tool wants $12 each for a replacement cutter. I'm at work at the moment and can't remember the name of the supplier but I'll look it up tonight if any one is interested. No connection and all that.

if the cutters are still carbide I would be interested.

Donald Wilkins
03-25-2010, 8:10 PM
I had the pleasure of assisting Craft Supply in their booth during a local woodworking show. They had started using the Ci3 tools with all of their demo lathes for the pen turning. After using one for the first time and see so many people that have never turned a pen before have such an easy time, the tool truly earns its name... "Easy". I could only imagine how much more difficult it would be to have to teach anyone from ages 8 to 88 how to use a skew for the first time.

I liked the handle design so much that I had to try to make one...

Ian James Webster
03-26-2010, 12:39 AM
They are identical to the one that is supplied with the tool. Here's the link
http://globaltooling.bizhosting.com/products/carbide-insert-knives.html

kendall yates
03-26-2010, 7:27 AM
I also looked at the Ci1 but could not bring myself to spending $125+ so off to the world wide web I went and I found a guy in Virginia that makes them using the same carbide cutter for under $50 INCLUDING shipping. I used mine on some of the HARD maple billets I have and it cuttes like butter.

Dolan Brown
03-26-2010, 8:34 AM
They are identical to the one that is supplied with the tool. Here's the link
http://globaltooling.bizhosting.com/products/carbide-insert-knives.html

Which of the inserts from Global Tooling is like the ones used of the Ci tools?

Do you know if they also sell the screws used to attach it to the tool shaft?

Ian James Webster
03-26-2010, 12:12 PM
Back at work so I can't check but if my memory serves me correctly its this one:
For "Byrd" Shelix ® Journal Heads
15mm x 15mm x 2.5mm - 4-edge - Radius Faces

Don't know about the screws - I had a quick look on the website and didn't see any. - Give them a call?

Ian James Webster
03-26-2010, 12:13 PM
Any idea of his contact info?

Stuart Reid
03-26-2010, 12:58 PM
The link to Global Tooling above will get you to a good place. The prices are great and the product seems to be just as good as the Easy Rougher carbide cutter. You can get them in the straight edge and a radius edge. I purchased both a few months ago and they are great! The only problem is they don't sell the circular model and I haven't been able to find a source, especially in that price range. I love the tools and use them a lot so I bit the bullet and purchased a couple of the circular replacements, I think from Packard Woodworks which had the lowest price I could find. I will also be a little careful here as I was kicked off another forum because I was trying to find a lower price for these replacement cutters and I sure don't want to be booted from here. I guess the owner of the site was trying to protect an advertiser even though the advertiser didn't have any heartburn with my request since I also promoted his tools. Oh well, life goes on.

Stu

kendall yates
03-26-2010, 1:01 PM
I got my tool from a guy named Dave. He makes a VERY nice tool. They are around $50 including shipping I think. His email is woodturnerm@yahoo.com (woodturnerm@yahoo.com) You will have to check with him to see if he still has any.

Dolan Brown
03-27-2010, 4:43 PM
Back at work so I can't check but if my memory serves me correctly its this one:
For "Byrd" Shelix ® Journal Heads
15mm x 15mm x 2.5mm - 4-edge - Radius Faces

Don't know about the screws - I had a quick look on the website and didn't see any. - Give them a call?

Ian, thanks I just ordered a box. Curious as to how they will work on a home made tool.

Dwight McNutt
03-28-2010, 1:03 PM
Look at http://www.carbidedepot.com/wood-turning.htm and see if these are the round cutters you need. No connection just giving information, your decesion.

Dwight

Dolan Brown
04-22-2010, 9:31 PM
Ian, thanks I just ordered a box. Curious as to how they will work on a home made tool.

Make the tool today with the inserts noted in the post from above. All I can say is WOW!! I was amazed at how fast it will cut wood. I roughed out a small bowl in about 5 minutes and I am a slow turner. The strings of wood were flying over my shoulder. Warning - don't use one without a face shield unless you like wood strings/chips in your face. My total cost in this tools is app. $2.50.

Thanks again for the info.

Steve Vaughan
04-22-2010, 10:31 PM
Question on using these tools...are you setting your toolrest where the cutting edge is about level with center? And, are you keeping the handle end of the tool down or keeping the whole tool about level?

Someone was asking about screws, I noticed on that global webpage that some screws for these bits were offered, but I didn't check to see if there's any variety as far as length.

Paul Douglass
04-22-2010, 11:47 PM
Those are beautiful tools. I love the carbide inserts. If you don't want to spend quite that much you might consider the Woodchuck Pro line. I am really pleased with the two I have and plan on ordering a round one soon.

Donny Lawson
04-23-2010, 6:42 AM
It sounds like it's about time to invest in one of these tools. I've been looking at these things for a while but was leary about the replacement blades being a little overly priced but if I could buy 10 for $20.00 it might be worth trying.Where is a good place to buy the Easy Rougher at a fair price?,or does anyone have a homemade one they would sell?
Donny

Kyle Iwamoto
04-23-2010, 11:45 AM
Anyone compare the round cutters from Easy brand with the Hunter Carbide? I got the Hunter a long time ago, before Easy Company hit the streets. I really like the Hunter, it has a differerent cutter though. IIRC it was much cheaper than the going Easy price.

Edward Bartimmo
04-23-2010, 7:20 PM
I was a bit skeptical about the Easy Rougher and Finisher. I am a little bit of traditionalist in that I like the feel of the gouge and chasing a line/curve. The manager at local Woodcraft store said I could bring it back if I didn't like it.

I bought the easy finisher to deal with some dense burl that was jarring everything else. It does an amazing job despite the pinkish handle color.

Keith Burns
04-23-2010, 8:45 PM
I hesitate to join in on this discussion because there is never a winner of the argument.

The Easy Wood Tools are first rate, I own 5 of them.

The cutters that y'all are showing are similar but they are not the ones supplied on the easy tools. The cutters they supply are made for them to their design specifications.

Ivan Clark
04-23-2010, 11:27 PM
Anyone compare the round cutters from Easy brand with the Hunter Carbide? I got the Hunter a long time ago, before Easy Company hit the streets. I really like the Hunter, it has a differerent cutter though. IIRC it was much cheaper than the going Easy price.

I cannot compare the round to round, but my niece and I used the Hunter #5 and the Easy Rougher on a green branch as practice before turning the first pen in my shop.

they both cut very nicely and I liked them both but they were different. the Hunter #5 was much more aggressive and almost seemed to want to increase its cutting depth if we got distracted at all. the Easy Rougher did best if we followed the instructions and held it flat and level.

once we got used to them, my niece liked the Easy better and never touched the Hunter when turning the pen. we were both very happy with the pen that she made as a gift.

I got the Easy Rougher and an Easy Detailer at Woodwerks during their anniversary sale. I would have bought other Easy's but the deal of the day always sold out quickly on Easy days. I feel fortunate to have gotten 2 of them. the Woodwerks folk were a pleasure to deal with and they are on the short list of sites that I check now when I need something.

Paul Douglass
04-24-2010, 10:10 AM
Woodchuck Pro, my first one. I made tha handle for it using the tool with out a handle. This is the Bowl Pro, I have the Pen Pro and have ordered the round cutter. These run around $70. Got the bowl pro during a IAP birthday bash for $58. I love these tools.

http://www.woodchuck-tools.com/

Mike Turner
04-25-2010, 7:17 AM
Which of these tools would you buy first or if you could only have one which one would it be? I turn long spindles or they are really 30 inch flutes. Can the different cutters interchange at all ? I would think not Thanks Mike

About 2 weeks ago I bought quite a few tools at WC. I bought a new rikon lathe which I seem to like very well, I bought a new set of Woodriver HSS turning tools and love them to death, but the one tools that I bought and until this morning still wasnt sure it was worth the 126 bucks I gave for it. Well it most definitely is. It was a:
Ci1 Easy Rougher w/Easy Grip Handle

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj277/kwcard/ezrougher.jpg

This tools allowed me to rough the outside and inside of a beautiful piece of VERY figured walnut. This bowl had a couple of knots, grain running like a road map of the country side and needless to say my old tools would donothing but rip out the grain. This thing here just did wonderful and I cant say enough good things about it.... Kudos to the staff at WC for recommending it...

I will post pics of the bowl when complete. I will tell you though that it is a simple design due to me being a newbie with bowls but I am putting the best finish i know how to on it right now...

Mike Turner
04-25-2010, 2:58 PM
Which of these tools would you buy first or if you could only have one which one would it be? I turn long spindles or they are really 30 inch flutes. Can the different cutters interchange at all ? I would think not Thanks Mike