PDA

View Full Version : Buggy wood?

Dan Forman
03-25-2010, 2:58 AM
I have some 8/4 ash from Oregon (which should be well outside the range of the dreaded emerald ash borer), which has been air drying there for nearly three years. I was jointing a piece and discovered a few larvae trails, closed up with whatever they call that stuff they leave behind, frass, which is pretty hard and solid.

Anyway, what I'm wondering is whether I should still use the wood or not. It's just for a workshop project, and the damage can be hidden, but I don't want any nasty critters emerging in my shop and laying eggs. Could this be something to worry about, or would they have likely already vacated the wood? Do these little fiends eat dry wood, or does it need to be green to become infested? I guess the real question is would they lay eggs in dry wood? The trails are about 3/16" across, so not a powder post beetle, but a pretty good sized bug. Thanks for any light you may be able to shed on this.

Dan

Tony Bilello
03-25-2010, 6:41 AM
Unless I was absolutely sure, like take a sample to a university, I would not bring it in my shop. This would not be the first time a woodworker brought a major infestation into the home.

Dan Forman
03-27-2010, 4:33 AM
Decided not to risk it. Thanks

Dan

Tony Bilello
03-27-2010, 10:30 AM
I am not sure, so you will have to check with saw mill experts, but I think if the wood were heated to 160* in a kiln for a given length of time, it will kill the bugs.
I would only discuss this with saw mill owners and not just random guessers on here. This is afterall, a critical issue.

Lee Koepke
03-27-2010, 10:44 AM
I would think the bug trails would provide a particular interesting appearance. :D

David Helm
03-27-2010, 10:51 AM
Pictures would help. Some wood borers do not reinfest, but Lyctids and Anobiids do. If there is still frass and it is light in color, you may still have bugs. Air drying does not kill them.