PDA

View Full Version : Baltic birch, for painted exterior use?

Randal Stevenson
03-25-2010, 12:01 AM
I need to replace two columns on my porch this year, and the tops of them are wider then I could generally get, now, without being plywood. I have some scrap Baltic birch (small piece) that is large enough to get the tops of the columns, but have never used, or read about it being used outdoors (painted). Anyone used it outside? Tips and tricks? (seal the ends with bondo or something)

Thanks

tyler mckee
03-25-2010, 12:20 AM
I quick google search told me that BB ply comes in exterior, and interior grade glue, with interior being much more common. no first hand experience.

Trevor Remster
03-26-2010, 9:48 AM
I would not use that product in this application. I assume you will be painting this, so I would suggest MDO plywood(not the same as MDF). MDO stands for medium density overlay. This product is commonly used in making exterior signs, amongst other products. It is an exterior grade plywood with an impregnated paper face. This stuff takes paint exceptionally well, and is very weather resistant. I don't know what home centers you have in your market, but our local Menards stores stock this product. Otherwise, you may have to go to a full service lumberyard, as our other borgs don't stock this product. Remember to allow for air movement thru the column shaft to prevent future rot.