PDA

View Full Version : Euro hinge question?

Jay Yoder
03-24-2010, 10:17 PM
After building my euro-style frameless miter station cabinets I have realized I may have an issue on my hands. I want to use double doors per 24" section which would require a shared 3/4" divider for the interior doors (see attached). I believe that I could use half-overlay hinges (not 1/2" overlay hinges) to allow for this scenerio. Is this correct?

Andrew Nemeth
03-24-2010, 10:28 PM
If you want both doors to swing in the same direction you will need one set of 3/4" overlay hinges to be mounted to the side panel, and one set of 3/8" overlay hinges mounted to the diving panel, assuming your sides and divider are 3/4" material. Rockler or other hardware supply companies should stock the same hinge with different overlays. http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=2283

Jay Yoder
03-24-2010, 10:36 PM
Sorry Andrew, I should have described it better. I want them to open up toward each other (front to front). In other words, the plates would be mount back to back on the divider.

David DeCristoforo
03-24-2010, 10:40 PM
Yes. You can use 1/2 overlays. You may also need "back to back" baseplate screws:

http://www.hardwaresource.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=1486

Ramsey Ramco
03-24-2010, 10:42 PM
Andrew said it right along the center divider use a 3/8" overlay hinge and along the exterior side of the carcass use a 3/4" overlay hinge.

Jamie Buxton
03-24-2010, 10:43 PM
Yes half-overlay should do you, if whoever is calling them that means the same thing I do. With different thicknesses of plates, you can get almost any overlay you like. Check this source for lots of detail: http://wwhardware.com/media/products/apcharts/blum120cliptop.pdf

BTW, you'll probably need to displace the back-to-back plates from each other -- otherwise the screws mounting one plate will collide with the screws from the other.

David DeCristoforo
03-24-2010, 10:54 PM
Just to be clear, there are typically two ways to get a 1/2 overlay. You either use a "cranked" hinge or a "built up" baseplate. Either one will give you a 1/2 overlay. Neither is better or worse than the other. Both used in combination will give you an "inset" door.

Jay Yoder
03-25-2010, 9:35 PM
Thanks for the responses. David, if I understand what you are saying, you could use a standard full overlay hinge with a thicker plate and you get half overlay? This would be in contrast to using a "cranked" hinge with a flat plate? both options produce a half-overlay effect eh?

David DeCristoforo
03-25-2010, 10:22 PM
"Thanks for the responses. David, if I understand what you are saying, you could use a standard full overlay hinge with a thicker plate and you get half overlay? This would be in contrast to using a "cranked" hinge with a flat plate? both options produce a half-overlay effect eh?"

Si. But the built up baseplates are available in several "heights". Blum offers 3mm and 9mm plates as well as "0" buildup. Various overlays are possible by combining these with the cranked hinges. To get a 1/2 overlay with a straight hinge you need the 9mm plates. You can also get a 1/2 overlay by using the "0" plates with the cranked hinge. Capice?

Jay Yoder
03-26-2010, 11:01 PM
David, thanks for straightening me out. Too many options and possibilities. in other words...Ich verstehe das :)