PDA

View Full Version : Visit from another Creeker!

John Miliunas
11-08-2004, 10:13 PM
I had the pleasure of a visit from a fellow Creeker, who happens to practically be a neighbor! Jeff Sudmeier paid my family a visit this afternoon. :) He lives nary 20 minutes away from us. Strangely enough, not only close in distance, but he too is involved in the IT industry. Although relatively close, he leads a very busy life, so much so, that I could only get him to commit to another visit, but not until Spring! Plans are to fire up one of the lathes and crank out a bowl or two! :) (If I don't forget how, by then! :rolleyes: ) Anyhow, it was a blast having him over and getting to know another SMC-er just a little bit better! Thanks much for stopping, Jeff! :cool:

Steve Roxberg
11-09-2004, 12:41 AM
I'm in the IT industry and am amazed at the number of woodworkers I find who are as well. The ability to see a finished product in a stack of boards, or a log, is very close to a program written for computers.

Rich Konopka
11-09-2004, 6:41 AM
I'm in the IT industry. I wonder what the connection is? It must be working with those Dang machines all day and not getting anthing out of them. So you go home and work with different machines and make dust.

Keith Starosta
11-09-2004, 7:10 AM
YEP....IT consultant here!! I agree with what Steve said. Seeing a product from start to finish is very gratifying, be it a stack of code or a stack of walnut! :D

Keith

Jeff Sudmeier
11-09-2004, 8:25 AM
John, yeah yeah I know! I will try to get a weekend day in December free! :) It was great to see your shop and your home!

If anyone gets a chance to meet John he is one hell of a guy! Not to mention his shop is very nice as well.

Thanks again John, I am sure I won't be able to stay away until spring! :)

John Miliunas
11-09-2004, 8:33 AM
John, yeah yeah I know! I will try to get a weekend day in December free! :)

Thanks again John, I am sure I won't be able to stay away until spring! :)

Well then, we'll just need to make SURE of that! :D I'll try to find some time to get my lathe chisels sharpened! :) :cool:

Larry Browning
11-09-2004, 2:03 PM
I am also in the IT industry as an SAP programmer. I have a theroy about why there are so many of us here at the creek and on other woodworking forum's. I know many woodworkers that are not in IT, but most of them do not frequent woodworking forums, most don't even have a computer. But if you are a computer geek woodworker, a woodworking forum is almost a given. It combines 2 things we love to do. I also know lots and lots of other computer geeks like myself and most of them are NOT woodworkers. So it's not that IT guys are woodworkers or that woodworkers are IT guys. Its that woodworking IT guys are the ones that most often are participating members of woodworking forums. But I could be wrong :o

John Miliunas
11-09-2004, 3:40 PM
I am also in the IT industry as an SAP programmer. I have a theroy about why there are so many of us here at the creek and on other woodworking forum's. I know many woodworkers that are not in IT, but most of them do not frequent woodworking forums, most don't even have a computer. But if you are a computer geek woodworker, a woodworking forum is almost a given. It combines 2 things we love to do. I also know lots and lots of other computer geeks like myself and most of them are NOT woodworkers. So it's not that IT guys are woodworkers or that woodworkers are IT guys. Its that woodworking IT guys are the ones that most often are participating members of woodworking forums. But I could be wrong :o

Yeah, that or.....We just like to get some of our aggressions out on a poor, defenseless piece of wood without too much fear of wrecking several thousands of $$$-worth of equipment! :D :eek: :cool:

Ken Kirkeby
11-09-2004, 5:38 PM
I'm a SQL Server & DB2 database admin for PeopleSoft. After sitting on my rear end all day in front of a computer, getting out into the shop is the only way to keep my sanity (what's left of it).

John Miliunas
11-09-2004, 5:52 PM
I'm a SQL Server & DB2 database admin for PeopleSoft. After sitting on my rear end all day in front of a computer, getting out into the shop is the only way to keep my sanity (what's left of it).

Peoplesoft???!!! :eek: Ya! I'd say you NEED to get away from it! Fortunately, I'm not involved with the support for that app, though it's widely used on campus. I have, however, heard of enough people who do use and support it to be near suicidal! :eek: Good luck! I do NOT envy you! :) :cool:

Frank Pellow
11-09-2004, 7:26 PM
Larry, I think that your analysis is dead on.

I am an ex-IT person with 25 years at IBM, 7 with Microsoft, and 8 with miscellaneous other companies.

Ken, you mentioned DB2 and SQL Server and. 18 of my years in IT were spent as an architect and developer of DB2 and SQL server.

Frank Pellow
11-09-2004, 7:28 PM
John, I like your new avatar.

John Miliunas
11-09-2004, 10:02 PM
John, I like your new avatar.

Thanks Frank! Almost the exact spot as the old one, but a few months newer and with my ears lowered! :D :cool:

Larry Browning
11-09-2004, 10:16 PM
Peoplesoft???!!! :eek: Ya! I'd say you NEED to get away from it! Fortunately, I'm not involved with the support for that app, though it's widely used on campus. I have, however, heard of enough people who do use and support it to be near suicidal! :eek: Good luck! I do NOT envy you! :) :cool:

John, I don't know much about Peoplesoft, but I know quite a bit about SAP. Like, SAP stands for Sorry About the Problems :eek:

John Miliunas
11-09-2004, 10:43 PM
John, I don't know much about Peoplesoft, but I know quite a bit about SAP. Like, SAP stands for Sorry About the Problems :eek:

Ahhhhh...I see. They must've been designed by the same developers! :eek: :D :p :cool: (Hey, NO offense intended to *anyone* working on PS! The timing was just too much to pass on....Sorry! :o )

Rich Konopka
11-10-2004, 8:02 AM

I used to work for PeopleSoft and left in 99 and joined Oracle. Talk about trying to run from those PeoplePeople. I still have friends there. They may be coming into the Oracle "Evil Empire" if the merger is completed.

When I was at PSFT we used say that SAP stands for Second After Peoplesoft :eek:

Now I have to one up you MSSQL guys. When I worked at that Big Red Umbrella Insurance company back in the 80's and early 90's I worked with MSSQL on OS/2 with broken ring :D and beta tested MSSQL on NT 3.1.

Have times changed??

Ken Kirkeby
11-10-2004, 9:01 AM
Although I'm fairly new to the Creek, I've yet to see comments that were not meant in jest.

Rich - hmmmm ... MSSQL on OS/2 with broken ring. Sounds painful. My start was Sybase 4 on Netware 3.1. Sybase support would laugh at us when we called.

John Miliunas
11-10-2004, 9:06 AM
Man, you guys are WAY over my head with all the SQL, SAP, PSFT, etc....! :eek: Now, where the heck did that "any" key go to? :confused: :cool:

Chris Padilla
11-10-2004, 1:27 PM
John,

I couldn't resist playing with a new pic of you so here goes. No hard feelings if you don't like it. :)

John Miliunas
11-10-2004, 1:52 PM
John,

I couldn't resist playing with a new pic of you so here goes. No hard feelings if you don't like it. :)

Hey Chris, not bad but, now it doesn't look like I'm in my shop and I'm *still* ugly! :eek: :) :cool:

Chris Padilla
11-10-2004, 2:01 PM
Hey, PSP can only do so much!! ;)