PDA

View Full Version : Latest Hollow Form

Michael E. Thompson
03-24-2010, 9:37 PM
Here is another HF I finished up tonight. I am pleased with the form but undecided about the finial. Any thoughts to making it look better? The form is pear and finial is ebonized walnut. Finished with BLO and shellac. Approx. 5 dia x 5.5 tall. As always C&C welcome.

Thanks for looking.
Mike

John Keeton
03-24-2010, 9:41 PM
Mike, that is a beautiful piece of pear, and you certainly have done a nice job with the form. What did you use to ebonize the walnut? I did some once with India ink, but it really raised the grain. Looks like you got a very good finish on this one.

Baxter Smith
03-24-2010, 9:48 PM
Nice looking piece. Great color variation and grain going everywhere!

Michael E. Thompson
03-24-2010, 9:49 PM
Thanks John. I ebonized the walnut with the old steel-wool and vinegar trick. Actually I read about it here. Soaked steel-wool in vinegar for a few days, strained and its ready to go. This will raise the grain as well, but with this project I did everything on the lathe and was able to sand out the raised grain easily and reapplied the mixture. Light sanding again and finished with shellac with a touch of BLO to keep the shellac from catching the rag. Turned up the speed and baked it in.

Mike

Bernie Weishapl
03-24-2010, 10:00 PM
Michael the HF looks great as does the finial. The only change I would make would be to make the finial more delicate.

David E Keller
03-24-2010, 10:03 PM
Beautiful wood, finish, and form. Great job on the ebonization(sounds like a word someone would use doing a Jesse Jackson impersonation:p).

I'm no finial expert, but for what little it's worth.... I would consider thinning the outer rim on the lid a bit so that the transition between form and lid is a little less distinct/pronounced. As for the finial itself, I like the basic shape, but I wonder what it would look like a bit taller and thinner.

It's a great looking piece. Thanks for posting it.

Michael E. Thompson
03-24-2010, 10:09 PM
Thanks for the tips. I was thinking taller as well. I did not consider thinner. I can still do that to this piece, not so much taller though. I will give it a try tomorrow.

Mike

Steve Schlumpf
03-24-2010, 10:34 PM
Michael - great looking wood and finish!

When it comes to forms and finials - everyone will have a different opinion about what works and what doesn't - but the general rule of thumb is to strive for a continuous curve from foot to the top of the finial.

I agree with David on thinning down the lid portion of the finial so that it sits flush with the form and not on it. When the lid sits on top of the form - it breaks the continuous curve.

Finials come in all shapes and flavors - depending on their function. If it is to serve as a knob to lift the lid off the form - then it has to have enough mass to be handled without breaking. If it is strictly there for artistic reasons - then the more delicate it is - the better.

I think you did good with this hollow form and only offer the above ideas to give you something to think about for your next one.

Nice work! Have fun!

Michael E. Thompson
03-25-2010, 10:36 AM
When it comes to forms and finials - everyone will have a different opinion about what works and what doesn't - but the general rule of thumb is to strive for a continuous curve from foot to the top of the finial.

I agree with David on thinning down the lid portion of the finial so that it sits flush with the form and not on it. When the lid sits on top of the form - it breaks the continuous curve.

Finials come in all shapes and flavors - depending on their function. If it is to serve as a knob to lift the lid off the form - then it has to have enough mass to be handled without breaking. If it is strictly there for artistic reasons - then the more delicate it is - the better.

I think you did good with this hollow form and only offer the above ideas to give you something to think about for your next one.

Nice work! Have fun!

This makes good sense. I am going to redo the lid and finial based on everyone's suggestions. I will thin down the edge of the lid and possibly give it more of a curve to the center. I need to have some kind of edge and not flush because there is no ledge on the HF to hold it in place. I am also going to remake the finial to be more slender and taller. I am not happy about the shape, I can't put my finger on exactly it, but it needs to be something different. Hopefully your suggestions will make the difference I am looking for.

Thanks for the help.

Mike

Steve Schlumpf
03-25-2010, 10:42 AM
Michael - when it comes to finials - keep in mind that a little detail work goes a long way and there is no need to get overly ornate. The real thing folks notice - for an artistic finial - is if it looks delicate or not. That translates to thin with a few crisp details.

Understand that finials are something we all struggle with - except maybe Keith Burns, but I tend to think even he has spent some time perfecting his art!

Have fun with it!

Steve Kubien
03-25-2010, 1:42 PM
Well, I guess I am in the minority regarding this piece. I like the finial, generally. It could be a little taller and/or a little thinner but overall, it is pretty nice. What I do not like is the flow of the form itself. The lower part seems to be too straight and, I think, would benefit from being more rounded. It competes with the curve of the top portion and lacks flow. Well, you asked. And remember it is just my opinion.

Steve

Michael E. Thompson
03-25-2010, 8:29 PM
Well, I guess I am in the minority regarding this piece. I like the finial, generally. It could be a little taller and/or a little thinner but overall, it is pretty nice. What I do not like is the flow of the form itself. The lower part seems to be too straight and, I think, would benefit from being more rounded. It competes with the curve of the top portion and lacks flow. Well, you asked. And remember it is just my opinion.

Steve

I did ask and I thank you for the comments Steve. I am looking for this kind of criticism. I was going for the straight side look, but I agree to some respect it may 'too' straight. I have another one drying that is a similar shape, when I finish it I will give it a bit more rounded shape and compare.

Mike

Roland Martin
03-25-2010, 9:20 PM
There are some very nice colors & grain in this pear. I like the form and the finial is nice. The only thing that strikes me is that the base of the finial protrudes from the top of the HF too much, like others have said. Very nice work Mike.

Steve Kubien
03-25-2010, 9:25 PM
See, if that's the look you are going for, well that's a different story. On the next one, consider this... I think the straight lines conflict with the curve on the top. I would think about the transition a little sharper, but not so sharp that you could cut yourself while it is spinning. The other thing that might work is to reverse the curve; make the curve upward like the bell of a trumpet. I don't know. It's the best I've got.

Michael E. Thompson
03-25-2010, 10:05 PM
See, if that's the look you are going for, well that's a different story. On the next one, consider this... I think the straight lines conflict with the curve on the top. I would think about the transition a little sharper, but not so sharp that you could cut yourself while it is spinning. The other thing that might work is to reverse the curve; make the curve upward like the bell of a trumpet. I don't know. It's the best I've got.

I like your idea of the trumpet bell. I need to start taking notes to keep in the shop. You also make a good point of the round conflicting with the straight. Lots to think about for the next one. Thanks for your help.

Mike