PDA

View Full Version : Photography Lighting....

John Thompson
03-24-2010, 8:38 PM
Could one of the "shutter-bugs" tell me what type lights or bulbs are used for stand lighting when photo-graphing. Attempting to up-grade my absolutely horrible photo-graphy to the point I get at least a decent picture. I am not in pursuit of professional quality.. simply an up-grade in my skills to get at least a presentable picture when I shoot furniture.

Thanks in advance with any assistance...

David G Baker
03-24-2010, 11:38 PM
I use 200 watt daylight fluorescent screw in bulbs mounted in clip on reflectors. Check out Bill Huber's site for some great information on taking photos.

John McClanahan
03-25-2010, 8:28 AM
You need to use some sort of reflectors, too. Straight on lighting is too harsh, and causes unwanted shadows. Keep the subject far enough in front of the background to allow shadows to fall behind the subject, not the background.

You should also set the camera's white balance to match the color output of the lights you are using. That will avoid unwanted color casts.Avoid mixing daylight with indoor lights, unless the indoor lights produce "daylight" output.

John

John Thompson
03-25-2010, 10:25 AM
Thanks for the tips guys.. I simply have a cheap digital auto camera and lighting has always been an issue. Probably the best shot I have ever gotten on furniture was on my elevated back deck with greenery from trees in the back-ground and the direct sun blocked by foilage late in the afternoon before it went down.

I have no clue why and the reason I am at least asking as I know I fall way short in the photo knowledge department. I will also search for Bill's site.

Again thanks...

Mitchell Andrus
03-25-2010, 10:31 AM
I climbed this ladder years ago. I finally ended up with a camera with a hot shoe and put a remote on it. I got 2 $400.00 photographic strobe units. Done. I'm free of wires, floods, harsh shadows.....

Dave Johnson29
03-25-2010, 10:45 AM
Get a slave flash and have it pointed up to the ceiling. It detects the main flash going off and reacts accordingly. Set the flash on the digital to "fill in" and it will have reduced brightness and a slower start but enough to trigger the slave.

An OK slave should not cost much more than about 30-bucks.

John Thompson
03-25-2010, 12:01 PM
I climbed this ladder years ago. I finally ended up with a camera with a hot shoe and put a remote on it. I got 2 $400.00 photographic strobe units. Done. I'm free of wires, floods, harsh shadows.....

That sounds like a great working solution in your personal scenario Mitchell but... this is simply an attempt to better a few furniture photo's for posting in the finished section on several forums. I produce a carcass piece average every two months.. take pictures and post them and by the time that is done the furniture is already serving function.

Not likely I am going to purchase $800 worth of lights as I can get about 200 board feet of QSWO which is far more important to me than gettng a few snaps that won't be viewed for more than a few days. But.. if I did this for a living and had a web-site to advertise it would become a much more important scenerio. ;)

John Thompson
03-25-2010, 12:08 PM
Get a slave flash and have it pointed up to the ceiling. It detects the main flash going off and reacts accordingly. Set the flash on the digital to "fill in" and it will have reduced brightness and a slower start but enough to trigger the slave.

An OK slave should not cost much more than about 30-bucks.

Thanks Dave.. never heard of that as I am totally clueless with camera's in general but.. does sound a bit more in line with what I am willing to pay to simply get a bit better picture that will only be seen by the public once if that. :)

Don Kondra
03-25-2010, 1:13 PM
Skip the Home Depot for the lights and check out Alzo Digital.

Their compact fluorescent bulbs are 5500k, this temperature of light is Very important for a proper white balance.

The amount of light required is going to depend on the size of the furniture..

More info > more options :)

Cheers, Don

Dave Johnson29
03-25-2010, 7:05 PM
does sound a bit more in line with what I am willing to pay to simply get a bit better picture that will only be seen by the public once if that. :)

Hi John,

Here's some. I have never dealt with these people so I am just using their site to show you what to look for. I can't remember the name of the online camera people I used as it was about 4 years back. I am well past my photography phase. ;):D Although I do have a Pentax Spotmatic and 4 lenses I just can't bear to throw out.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Slave-Flashes/ci/1388/N/4289302556

John McClanahan
03-25-2010, 7:14 PM
Photography equipment is like woodworking equipment. Expensive equipment will not produce high quality results if you don't know how to use it properly. On the other hand, being a craftsman doesn't mean you can produce quality work with cheap equipment.

Most of these recommendations require a camera that allows for some exposure adjustments.

It sounds like you have found a way to make your current camera work for you.:)

John

John Thompson
03-27-2010, 10:42 PM
Photography equipment is like woodworking equipment. Expensive equipment will not produce high quality results if you don't know how to use it properly. On the other hand, being a craftsman doesn't mean you can produce quality work with cheap equipment.

Most of these recommendations require a camera that allows for some exposure adjustments.

It sounds like you have found a way to make your current camera work for you.:)

John

It works fine for a $90 auto John. There are just times I need a back-drop as my home is so filled at this point I really don't have room to get far enough back to shoot there so the shop is becoming the alternative when I can't get it out on the back elevated deck which works well. But there are times weather prohibits.

Luckily I had dinner with freinds to-nite and the subject came up. Terry and Sue are semi-professional portrait photographers in there retirement. They invited me over tomorrow to give me some tips and instruction in return for teaching their grand-daughter to shoot her .270 Winchester. Appears she is a deer hunter in need of instruction.. I am a illiterate with a camera in need of instruction but.. I had sniper training with 5th Army rifle team and served in that function in Vietnam.

So... a deal has been struck where both parties can hopefully benefit! ;)

Tim Morton
03-28-2010, 8:43 AM
It works fine for a $90 auto John. There are just times I need a back-drop as my home is so filled at this point I really don't have room to get far enough back to shoot there so the shop is becoming the alternative when I can't get it out on the back elevated deck which works well. But there are times weather prohibits.

Luckily I had dinner with freinds to-nite and the subject came up. Terry and Sue are semi-professional portrait photographers in there retirement. They invited me over tomorrow to give me some tips and instruction in return for teaching their grand-daughter to shoot her .270 Winchester. Appears she is a deer hunter in need of instruction.. I am a illiterate with a camera in need of instruction but.. I had sniper training with 5th Army rifle team and served in that function in Vietnam.

So... a deal has been struck where both parties can hopefully benefit! ;)

i hear Alanis Morissette singing ..."isn't it ironic......"

John Thompson
03-28-2010, 9:34 AM
i hear Alanis Morissette singing ..."isn't it ironic......"

I knew they were photo-graphers Tim as I graduated HS with Sue and run into them at a local resturant several nights a week as we retiree's don't spend a lot of time cooking at home. I simply didn't relate portrait photo's to still objects as furniture for whatever reason. I also didn't want to come over as looking for a free ride as they have done it for years on the side professionally. It's a southern thing...

It just came up when I asked a simple question about where to get some back-drops and escalated from there. So.. being "old school"... I see it more as "you scratch my back.. I'll scratch yours" than "ironic" as used in the Morisette song where you were a day late or a dollar short.

After Vietnam as long as I wake up breathing and all my limbs are attached... it's never to late! ha.. ha... ha..ha..ha..

Tim Morton
03-28-2010, 9:44 AM
I knew they were photo-graphers Tim as I graduated HS with Sue and run into them at a local resturant several nights a week as we retiree's don't spend a lot of time cooking at home. I simply didn't relate portrait photo's to still objects as furniture for whatever reason. I also didn't want to come over as looking for a free ride as they have done it for years on the side professionally. It's a southern thing...

It just came up when I asked a simple question about where to get some back-drops and escalated from there. So.. being "old school"... I see it more as "you scratch my back.. I'll scratch yours" than "ironic" as used in the Morisette song where you were a day late or a dollar short.

After Vietnam as long as I wake up breathing and all my limbs are attached... it's never to late! ha.. ha... ha..ha..ha..

good point....i was taking it way less literal;)