PDA

View Full Version : Redwood Raised Planter Box...What Finish?

Craig Nickles
03-24-2010, 7:18 PM
I just completed two 4'x8' redwood raised planter boxes that will sit on the ground. I made them from 2"x12" 's for the sides, and 4"x4" posts for the corners. They are to be used for my vegetable garden.

I am wondering what the best finish would be to keep them looking good, and preserving them??

Anyone have anything they have used that they really like? Is there anything I should stay away from?

Thanks,

Brian Hinther
03-24-2010, 9:13 PM
One possibility is a latex house paint deep base. It has no pigment to speak of, so it goes on white, but dries clear--much like varnish. And it doesn't need to be renewed every year or two like varnish; it should last as long as house paint.

Scott Holmes
03-25-2010, 12:12 AM
I'll second the deep base house paint with one qualification...

It should be renewed every 2-3 years. The pigment that is not added is what gives the house paint the long life; without the pigment the UV blockers will be used up and it will fail MUCH sooner than the same paint with the opaque pigment added. Opaque pigment is the ultimate UV blocker.

Stay far way from Thompsons water seal.

A qualtiy marine varnish (non-poly) will out perform the exterior paint base; it too will need to be renewed every 4-5 years.

Phil Phelps
03-25-2010, 8:53 AM
You might check out TWP for protection. http://www.woodsealants.com/

Craig Nickles
03-29-2010, 4:17 PM
Thanks for the help fellas. All done and looking good!

Phil Phelps
03-29-2010, 4:20 PM
I'll bet those yellow and red stripes look great.

Craig Nickles
03-30-2010, 6:50 PM
Yes, I have to say it was well worth the additional $50.00 to go with the redwood over the pressure treated wood.

The colors are fantastic!