PDA

View Full Version : metal detectors

Charlie Reals
03-24-2010, 6:35 PM
What kind of MD's are you using to check trees for metal objects? I don't trust my 30 yr. old md and am looking for a reasonably priced wand type.
Charlie

Steve Schlumpf
03-24-2010, 7:20 PM
I picked this up on sale a couple of years ago and it works great. I keep it with my chainsaw and it only takes a minute to check the wood before starting.

http://www.woodcraft.com/Catalog/ProductPage.aspx?prodid=9298&ss=a3f4e572-6afe-41b7-b6a9-654f587687d3

These things do go on sale every once in a while and there usually are some discounts on shipping as well.

Charlie Reals
03-24-2010, 7:27 PM
Thanks Steve, I can't get onto woodcraft from my end right now or I would have found It. Thanks for easing my mind and assuring me WC can help me :D:D I get nervous when the internet wont let me in there. To think I used to be that way about basspro.

Thank you again Steve, my love affair with the fed ex man continues lol. That is exactly what I wanted.
Charlie

Steve Schlumpf
03-24-2010, 8:23 PM
Charlie - here is another option for you: http://www.hartvilletool.com/product/13052

Thomas Canfield
03-24-2010, 9:02 PM
Ditto Steve's recommendation for the Wizard. It works well for even small brads and staples. The Little Wizard works somewhat but does not have the sensitivity or range of the full size.

Donny Lawson
03-24-2010, 9:13 PM
Look on E-bay and type in "Used Garrett metal detector". Look for the hand held detector.You can pick up one of those for about $40.00 or less.I am a Detectorist and hunt with these detectors on a regular basis and these are great machines.These are also used at our local court house to scan people as they come in.They work great and will find the smallest staple or nail up to about 1 1/2" deep.I've had mine for years and it has never failed me.
Donny

Roger Chandler
03-24-2010, 9:20 PM
I have the lumber wizzard. Purchased about 6 or 7 years ago to save the blades on my planer and jointer. It works great, when you get it set according to instructions....easy to set up and use.

Ditto Steve Schlumpf's recommendation!

Dick Sowa
03-25-2010, 7:32 AM
I have the Little Wizard...and while they didn't say it, you get what you pay for. Yes it works, if the metal is close to the surface. I have successfully found staples 1/4" deep, and larger pieces even deeper. I used it for locating cut nails and metal embedded in milled lumber that had been salvaged from an old house.

I have never tried to find metal in trees or rounds before, but suspect it wouldn't be very effective at depth.

And yes, I should have spent the extra money on a more sensitive one. I ruined 2 bandsaw blades and chipped a tooth off a carbide table saw blade after missing some metal with mine...resultant cost would have paid for a better detector.

Charlie Reals
03-25-2010, 8:35 AM
my lumber wizard is on the way.

Steve Schlumpf
03-25-2010, 9:04 AM
Good news Charlie! It only takes a few seconds to check the wood and the first time the wand finds something you'll know you made a wise decision!

Charlie Reals
03-25-2010, 9:17 AM
I agree 100% Steve. I have hit metal with chain saws and other blades but wouldn't want to hit one with the tool in my hand, could get ugly