PDA

View Full Version : Sheet vinyl floor ?

Frank Guerin
03-24-2010, 5:53 PM
I bought a small roll of sheet vinyl to go in a small bathroom. It will be on the slab. The vinyl seems really thin and a good shoe scuff could possibly move it away from the wall though I don't see that happening. In your opinion do you think some type of adhesive is necessary?

Joe Pelonio
03-24-2010, 8:25 PM
i haven't used that in many years, but always used adhesive. If not, you can get air bubbles under it, as well as the slippage.

Dave Johnson29
03-24-2010, 8:31 PM
In your opinion do you think some type of adhesive is necessary?

Not so long back I did my bathroom with sheet vinyl. The tile guy, a friend of mine insisted that I should use adhesive over the entire surface. Some trades people only coat 9" around the edges but it will lump and bubble later.

I am no expert, just going on what I was told. He gave me a half-used can of adhesive so it was not as though he was making the sale. :) It's been about 10 months and it is looking gooood.

Jim Mattheiss
03-24-2010, 8:39 PM
I've had floors done professionally and on small jobs they glue the perimeter. That's what I did when I did the powder room myself.

It's a 36" by 72" powder room. Pedestal sink and corner toilet.

It was ripped down to the studs and subfloor when the floor guy came to measure. He asked if I was doing the underlayment or was he. I said that I would put the luann (sp) down. He get's all snotty - we don't use luann, we use ??????? board at $70.00 per sheet. The ?????? board was going to cost more than the sheet goods. I said ok, I'll just buy the sheet goods and install it myself. We don't do THAT. In the end THEY didn't do anything.

Floor store #2 sold me the sheet goods and glue for less and installation was a breeze.

Cheers

Jim

Matt Meiser
03-24-2010, 9:03 PM
They do sell glueless vinyl now. I used it in one of our bathrooms and I'm very happy with it after a year. No shifting or bubbling. I was able to install it right over the old vinyl which was in good condition but dated.

Frank Guerin
03-25-2010, 7:22 PM
Gentlemen. I took your advice and glued it down though not exactly as directed. The notched trowel and the 100 pound roller by internet search I needed I did not have ( I'm sure I misplaced them some where) so I used a paint roller and a two by four and a hammer. Evidently this was close enough as when I started the second part of the glue job it was very difficult to peel back the vinyl from the previous glue. I did have several bubbles but a cut with a razor knife and two by four and a pound or two with the old claw hammer seem to resolve the problem.

I thank all those that resplonded. I really apreciate the info.