PDA

View Full Version : wood gloat

Charlie Reals
03-24-2010, 5:45 PM
This is the gnarled yard tree I posted earlier. I have been told it is almond. Missed all the nails(only found 5) andalthought the stump was rotten in the middle some of the outside was savable.. All coated with AS and under cover just in time for snow tonight. Have had a week of 70 degs.
Charlie

David E Keller
03-24-2010, 5:56 PM
Nice gloat... Never turned almond, so I'm anxious to see how it turns out.

A handheld metal detector might be a good idea before you turn each chuck.

Steve Schlumpf
03-24-2010, 6:11 PM
That's some really good looking wood! Love the color of the heartwood! Looking forward to seeing what you turn out of it!

David's idea of a hand-held metal detector is a good one! You just never know!

charlie knighton
03-24-2010, 6:16 PM
good gloat, nice shed

Charlie Reals
03-24-2010, 6:17 PM
I am googleing hand helds as we speak, the vortex has opened again, where shall I be spit out this time.:D:D. My old(very) md is getting tired, I know there are more nails in that tree. Any suggestions ( stupid question lol) on a wand type md?
Charlie

brian watts
03-24-2010, 9:31 PM
nice wood. any more pic of the whole shed?would like to see it

Roland Martin
03-24-2010, 9:42 PM
Like Steve said, that heartwood really looks great, curious to see some turnings. Nice gloat!

John Keeton
03-24-2010, 9:44 PM
Charlie, that is some very nice looking wood!! Get a piece turned quickly so we can see the real deal!

Charlie Reals
03-24-2010, 9:45 PM
nice wood. any more pic of the whole shed?would like to see it

Brian, I will take a pic tomorrow. The shed is built against a retaining wall and will hold 4 cord of oak.

Baxter Smith
03-24-2010, 9:46 PM
That looks like some very colorful wood!

Bernie Weishapl
03-24-2010, 10:04 PM
Congrats on some good looking wood. I really like the heartwood on it.

Mike McAfee
03-26-2010, 12:24 AM
Yep, looks like almond alright! Turn it while it's green because when it dries it's like rock! Like most fruit woods it does have the checking, cracking and moving tenancies but with time and patience you can learn it's idiosyncrasies and hopefully discover some of it's hidden beauty!

Enjoy,

MMc

Charlie Reals
03-26-2010, 7:50 AM
Yep, looks like almond alright! Turn it while it's green because when it dries it's like rock! Like most fruit woods it does have the checking, cracking and moving tenancies but with time and patience you can learn it's idiosyncrasies and hopefully discover some of it's hidden beauty!

Enjoy,

MMc

Mike I turned the first rough out yesterday, It does turn nice wet but as you say it splits and checks fast, Very pretty grain and a lot of potential. I soaked the first one in dna, so far it's fine. we will see in a week or so.

Mike McAfee
03-26-2010, 10:06 AM
Charlie,

The good news is there's an abundance of almond in Cali! There was aprox. 795,000 acres in 2008 with about 22,000 acres of old tree removal that same year!

I'm having luck with roughing it to the 10% rule, DNA for 12-24 hours then wrap or bag and shelve for a min. of 30 days! A lot of the small cracking seems to tighten back up! I'll try turning some thin over the weekend and let ya know my experience!

The other up side is it IS excellent fire wood as well! :rolleyes:

Charlie Reals
03-26-2010, 11:59 AM
I might have rushed it a bit as I am new to turning trees lol. I will have to press my contacts in the valley and give them a gallon of A/S. By the time it gets to me it is usually checked and split. I got lucky on this tree. Yeah, the scraps fit my wood stove real well.
Charlie

Mark Norman
03-26-2010, 5:35 PM
That wood has abeautiful color to it. It does look like almond, I watched many orchards taken out over the last 10 years to make way for housing around Merced.

Nice gloat, I look forward to seeing some finished turnings come form it.

Charlie Reals
03-26-2010, 6:04 PM
That wood has abeautiful color to it. It does look like almond, I watched many orchards taken out over the last 10 years to make way for housing around Merced.

Nice gloat, I look forward to seeing some finished turnings come form it.

Mark, it's a shame the orchards are going to houses. I remember as a kid in Oakland there were orchards and farms from Hayward to San Jose.
This wood turns nice and I am filling a bucket of dna fast, aint throwing anything away unless it's kindling wood.
Charlie

Steve Kubien
03-26-2010, 9:35 PM
Does it smell anything like almonds? I bet the shop is mighty inviting right now.

Charlie Reals
03-26-2010, 10:13 PM
Does it smell anything like almonds? I bet the shop is mighty inviting right now.

No almond smell butt the mix of wet wood floating around smells quite different lol. Several different flavors drying in A/S
Charlie