PDA

View Full Version : Bee Skep

Scott Lux
03-24-2010, 5:27 PM
There's a bookstore across the street from my office called Beehive Books. They sell good coffee, and know me by name.

I decided they needed more "decor". They have some candles shaped like bee skeps (woven bee hives), and pictures of course. I wanted to emulate their logo in wood.

It's about 3" high, made of Honeylocust (one of my favorites). MM to 12000, and EEE Ultra shine. I know, it's not a durable finish, but I like the way the wood feels.

(Yes, there are bruises from the heel of the tool on it.)

Belinda Barfield
03-24-2010, 5:39 PM
Scott,

I adore this skep. How appropriate that you used Honeylocust. :) From an admirer of all things bees, Bravo! One of my nicknames is Bumblebee and friends over the years have given me bee skeps in all forms. Yes, I know bumblebees are different than honeybees, but apparently many of my friends don't. This is a great piece. :)

David E Keller
03-24-2010, 5:58 PM
Looks good to me... the honey locust is a nice choice.

Steve Schlumpf
03-24-2010, 6:08 PM
Looks pretty cool to me! Bet it is a big hit at the store!

John Keeton
03-24-2010, 6:52 PM
Really an interesting piece, Scott! Is it hollowed from the bottom? Looks like the area where the hole is goes into a hollow.

Jerry Rhoads
03-24-2010, 7:02 PM
Nice looking piece Scott
I also like Honey Locust a lot
Bowls will beat you death, but spindle work is nice

Jerry

George Morris
03-24-2010, 7:12 PM
I like it! Good idea!! G

Jason Clark2
03-24-2010, 7:54 PM
Cool idea.

Must be different than the Beehive Books I know of. No way in the world the ones I know would ever serve coffee.

Jason

Baxter Smith
03-24-2010, 9:38 PM
Neat idea. I am sure it looks great!

Bernie Weishapl
03-24-2010, 10:06 PM
Scott that is a great choice of wood on a cool piece.

Scott Lux
03-25-2010, 9:51 AM
Thanks for all the comments. The owner of the bookstore loved it.

Belinda, yes, bumblebees are different than honeybees, but there are some varieties of bumbles that would use a skep if it was available.

John, yes I did hollow the bottom inch or so for the look of it. I didn't intend to go that deep, but I was having so much fun with my new Termite tool that I got carried away.